Maintaining F1 hybrids by rooting suckers and overwintering

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
JohnJones
Reactions:

Maintaining F1 hybrids by rooting suckers and overwintering

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm interested to know how many of you have in the past (or currently) rooted a sucker from an F1 hybrid and overwintered it to grow out from year to year to negate the need to sow new seeds.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Maintaining F1 hybrids by rooting suckers and overwintering

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I have failed to root suckers in the fall that I wanted to overwinter. IMO it was too late, they didn't have the energy to root. There was not a long enough day for them to make the effort. In spring and summer, I rooted tons of cuttings and they were fine. So if I wanted to try this, I would start rooting those pruned shoots in August at the latest, so they still think it's gonna be summer before you snuck the poor things indoors into the darkness... (sorry JohnJones, real winter here! :D)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

JohnJones
Reactions:

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Bower wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:52 pm I have failed to root suckers in the fall that I wanted to overwinter. IMO it was too late, they didn't have the energy to root. There was not a long enough day for them to make the effort. In spring and summer, I rooted tons of cuttings and they were fine. So if I wanted to try this, I would start rooting those pruned shoots in August at the latest, so they still think it's gonna be summer before you snuck the poor things indoors into the darkness... (sorry JohnJones, real winter here! :D)
I think that's good advice. Here's what prompted the question.

I got 5 Dona F1 seed from cwavec over on T'ville in 2017 and finally got to them this year. 4 are up and have been vigorous. I'm thinking I'll like this tomato based on descriptions of it's flavor and popularity in France, but I feel like this may be the last 4 seeds I have an easy time obtaining.

I was watching a Charles Dowding video on YouTube and he pointed out an F1 he could no longer get seeds for, but had been growing for 6 seasons by the overwintering of rooted sideshoots (as he calls them) method. I'm going to give it a shot I think.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 am

It's a very good idea. I think you have a much better chance in your location as well - not just because it's warmer but because your days don't get that short in the winter. According to some research at Johnny's, vegetables generally will not grow when daylight is less than 10 hours per day. We have less than ten hours day from Oct 31 to Feb 10. Not only tomatoes but other cuttings failed to root for me in October which are easy at other times of the year. Let us know how it goes!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:34 am

I read where one grower tried that and had an issue with a pest that also carried over.
Make sure the cuttings are 'clean'.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am

i did it one year, not with a hybrid, but alson everlasting, a cherry tomato that i was out of seeds for,
and failed to get ripe enough tomatoes from before frost hit. principle would be the same with a hybrid.
take cuttings from a healthy plant early enough in the year before frost damage. root using method of choice.
i kept the cuttings in a living room window. i had to make additional cuttings from the initial cuttings to keep them
manageable. we don't get a lot of sun during the winter here, so the plants were not lush looking. they just had to survive.
my final cuttings i was able to grow down stairs under grow lights with the rest of my seedlings. i ended up with several nice
plants that went into the garden. manage for any in door pests. start with cuttings from a healthy plant otherwise you are
wasting your time.

keith

JohnJones
Reactions:

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:08 am

rxkeith wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am i did it one year, not with a hybrid, but alson everlasting, a cherry tomato that i was out of seeds for,
and failed to get ripe enough tomatoes from before frost hit. principle would be the same with a hybrid.
take cuttings from a healthy plant early enough in the year before frost damage. root using method of choice.
i kept the cuttings in a living room window. i had to make additional cuttings from the initial cuttings to keep them
manageable. we don't get a lot of sun during the winter here, so the plants were not lush looking. they just had to survive.
my final cuttings i was able to grow down stairs under grow lights with the rest of my seedlings. i ended up with several nice
plants that went into the garden. manage for any in door pests. start with cuttings from a healthy plant otherwise you are
wasting your time.

keith
This sounds about like I would expect it to go. As Bower indicates, I'm not sure it would be possible if I was in a lower winter light zone, but I think it could work here.

Thanks for y'all's thoughts.

Return to “General Discussion”