Tips for growing onions from seed?

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tips for growing onions from seed?

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:46 pm

Last year, I started my onions from seed around Feb 1st and planted them early April. They were the size of a thick toothpick. I want to be able to grow pencil sized seedlings like Dixondale. Any tips?

Last year, I use mini greenhouses that I made from salad containers. I put them outside as much as possible. I also trimmed the seedlings to be around 3" long.

This year, I'm trying some new stuff. One, I'm doing a double greenhouse (two salad containers on top of each other) so there's 6" of soil instead of 2" that I used last year. I'm starting them earlier by planting the seeds a week ago. I'm also going to supplement the daylight by giving them enough grow light to equal 12 hours. So if they're outside for 8 hours, I'll add 4 hours of grow light.

Any other suggestions?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Tips for growing onions from seed?

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm

I grow my mine for two months too before planting out and yes, they're the toothpick size by then but they do well.They are grown in a 2" deep market pack.

If you want ones a lot larger you're going to have to start a lot earlier, I think. I've grown them in larger pots but it doesn't seem to make a difference in growth rate.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:04 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm I grow my mine for two months too before planting out and yes, they're the toothpick size by then but they do well.They are grown in a 2" deep market pack.
I’m waiting to hear from my farmer friend in NH to find out what they do with seedlings. He’s the one who told me pencil sized is ideal. Yes, my onions grew but they were not as big as Dixondale.

When do you plant your onions in Georgia? And when do they get harvested? Are they intermediate day onions? Are your onions as sweet as Vidalias? I’ve heard that they are actually Texas Super Sweet onions.

I’m trying to grow Candy, Patterson, and Wethersfield from seeds. Will be buying Blush, Copra, and Ted River from Dixondale.

PNW_D
Reactions:

Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 pm

check out Charles Dowding method ..

https://youtu.be/1k0f4GoC6Zw
Zone 8b

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:00 am

PNW_D wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 pm check out Charles Dowding method ..
I did this method (Eliot Coleman) a few years ago where I plant 4-5 onions per block. It was definitely easier than planting individually. But I’m on a quest for larger seedlings to produce the largest onions.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am

I first tried starting my own onions in 1983 and still have not found a way to get large seedlings without moving 500 miles south. Best that I have found is starting outside in about 2-gallon pots. That's done in mid-February. Pots filled 2" from the top and seeds sprinkled and covered ¼". After good soaking, plastic grocery bag placed over the pot. Then set it where it will get maximum sun. Pot will absorb heat in the daytime and slowly cool at night. Only needs checking now and then to assure that it remains damp. Little moisture is lost since it is a closed system. With just natural light, the seedlings may be shorter than what one might expect but sturdier.

As for the size of Dixondale's plants, not all are as thick as a pencil. I had the advantage of being able to see every intermediate and long day varieties every year. They are not counted but go according to bundle size. For example, a bundle of Patterson last year had only 48 plants. P;anted about 70 from same size bundle of Redwing and still had some to share with a friend. The Redwings were not much thicker than a matchstick but still made full-sized bulbs.

Martin

bjbebs
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41 pm

20210117_151501.jpg
I plant in waves. Couple hundred seeds every 2 weeks or so. This container is 5" deep and will hold onions for 12 weeks. Start planting out last of April into early May. I take the rootball out of container and drop firmly into a wheelbarrow. Plants separate easily and go into furrows.

These are triple the thickness of a toothpick and take right off. I've seen Dixondale plants at feed stores. Just me, but I want a plant that has been growing since birth when it hits the dirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:32 pm

Paquebot wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am I first tried starting my own onions in 1983 and still have not found a way to get large seedlings without moving 500 miles south. Best that I have found is starting outside in about 2-gallon pots. That's done in mid-February. Pots filled 2" from the top and seeds sprinkled and covered ¼". After good soaking, plastic grocery bag placed over the pot. Then set it where it will get maximum sun. Pot will absorb heat in the daytime and slowly cool at night. Only needs checking now and then to assure that it remains damp. Little moisture is lost since it is a closed system. With just natural light, the seedlings may be shorter than what one might expect but sturdier.
I'll have to try this technique myself to compare to my usual process. I do like the idea of taking advantage of natural light wherever possible.
Paquebot wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am As for the size of Dixondale's plants, not all are as thick as a pencil. I had the advantage of being able to see every intermediate and long day varieties every year. They are not counted but go according to bundle size. For example, a bundle of Patterson last year had only 48 plants. P;anted about 70 from same size bundle of Redwing and still had some to share with a friend. The Redwings were not much thicker than a matchstick but still made full-sized bulbs.
Yes, what you said is true. They sell by the bundle size and you'll get big, normal, small, and puny seedlings. There's a good video from them on youtube showing how they harvest & bundle their seedlings.

The Patterson onion seedlings must be from someone else as I don't see any on Dixondale's website. If you see them, I would be curious to know who is the supplier. I'm growing Patterson from seed along with Candy & Wethersfield.

bjbebs wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41 pm 20210117_151501.jpgI plant in waves. Couple hundred seeds every 2 weeks or so. This container is 5" deep and will hold onions for 12 weeks. Start planting out last of April into early May. I take the rootball out of container and drop firmly into a wheelbarrow. Plants separate easily and go into furrows.

These are triple the thickness of a toothpick and take right off. I've seen Dixondale plants at feed stores. Just me, but I want a plant that has been growing since birth when it hits the dirt.
You put them all in the same container? Wow. I need to see pictures of them!! I do notice that growing your own from seed enable the onions to hit the ground running. With Dixondale's, you lose about 2 weeks of growth with the seedlings getting re-established.

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Here is a picture of my mini greenhouse system for my onion seedlings.
818371BC-3D02-4434-8AAD-466A5AEF8A73.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm

In regards to origin of Patterson plants, it's possible that Dixonale only grow it for wholesale. They are the only source for onions used by Jung's. Being a hybrid. seed production may still be low. They re offering it again this year and scheduled for my garden.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:07 pm

Paquebot wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:57 pm In regards to origin of Patterson plants, it's possible that Dixonale only grow it for wholesale. They are the only source for onions used by Jung's. Being a hybrid. seed production may still be low. They re offering it again this year and scheduled for my garden.
Good to know. Have you tried Copra and if so, how do they compare to Patterson?

I’m getting Copra, Highlander, Blush from Dixondale.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:17 am

I've been growing Dixondale onions since mid-80s. I was even quoted in one of their catalogs about 20 years ago. Their best keeper at the time was First Edition. Copra replaced that. Now Patterson is the best. Copra may average just a tiny bit larger from my experience. This past year was first for Patterson and every bulb is still as solid as when harvested. Only one Redwing has gone soft so far.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:41 pm

I asked Dixondale about Patterson onions for sale. Here's what they said:
We have been planting this for trial growing for some of our customers. We have about 3 different varieties of the long day storage onion that we are considering for he replacement of the copra onions. The Patterson is the variety that we feel will probably take its place.
I wonder why they are contemplating the replacement of Copra? It would be nice if they could offer Copra and another variety like Patterson.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 pm

Copra is a good one and worthy replacement for First Edition. If there is a fault with Copra it might be inconsistent size. Seems to always have been a certain percentage of 2" bulbs and sometimes a 5". This first year with Patterson had just about all at 3" or a little bigger. So far, Patterson has lived up to the storage estimation as they are all in perfect condition.

Martin

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 am

starting seeds outside sounds interesting.

i am just wondering if it would work here. my season always seems to follow behind
everyone else. i could sow now, and leave them outside. there won't be many days above
freezing from now through beginning of march. april would be warmer, 30s to 40s range.
may would have mood swings up and down. my neighbor gets plants from dixondale, and
plants them i think in early may. april would be too soon because we tend to get late snow storms.
i wonder if there would be enough time for the seedlings to size up.
we have an unheated enclosed porch that would be warmer than outside. i could always start them there.
do ya think that would allow enough time for the seedlings to pop up and grow?

keith

Paquebot
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 am

Keith, I did sow the seeds in the fall the last time and it worked. They were Makò onions. Worked great and I didn't have to work outside in the February cold to sow the seeds. That's as close to natural as one can get short of sowing in the ground. For some years I maintained a Czech leek variety by just letting a couple heads sow their own seeds. Had tons of volunteers in the spring to select from.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Paquebot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 am Keith, I did sow the seeds in the fall the last time and it worked. They were Makò onions. Worked great and I didn't have to work outside in the February cold to sow the seeds.
What were the size of your onions that you planted this way? Golf ball sized? Baseball?

I have some Patterson seeds going in my basement and I will compare these to the ones growing outside.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm

The last onion started from seed were Makó, a long-keeper from Hungary and not available in the US. They all turned out standard for the variety, 2½" to 3". When any long day variety is planted, growing time is important. Doesn't matter how big the seedling is, it's not going to begin bulbing until the length of day begins to shorten. Large or small, they usually end up at about the same size at some point and then stall until bulbing. Best example are my bottle onion sets. There may be sets over ¼" thick or not even 1/8th and yet all bulbs are about the same size.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:46 am

Progress update report:

My seedlings are nice and healthy. They seem to be bigger than I can remember compared to last year. Here’s a picture of them:
8BCCBEBD-B329-484B-B8D6-C1028A92A8D0.jpeg
So what have I done differently than last year? Here are the new changes:
  • Added more soil. Now it's 6" deep instead of 2" deep
  • Used compost in the bottom 5", potting soil in the top 1"
  • Give it 12 hours of grow light per day. Previously it was window & outside daylight only. I still do outside daylight when it's nice but it'll be from 10am-4pm and grow lights from 6-10am and then 4-6pm to ensure 12 hours of daylight.
  • Have not trimmed the seedlings yet. When I do trim them, I plan to leave 5-6" of leaves on them instead of 2-3" so that it can capture more light
  • Used foil in my grow light setup to concentrate the light on the seedlings
Last edited by ponyexpress on Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:10 pm

I’m glad I came across this post I have been itchen to start onions from seed and I just started mine on February 13th shallots leeks yellow onion and purple onion I want it to work out so much my hubby want me to talk to them every night haha keep em happy. I never really knew when to start them I’m hoping I did it at the right time.

Return to “Onions”