Transatlantic Garlic Project

svalli
Reactions:

Transatlantic Garlic Project

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:53 am

2017 we started with [mention]Bower[/mention] to exchange bulbils via mail. This year I have the first divided bulbs in Finland grown from the Canadian bulbils.

Bonavista Fireball and Kostyn's Red Russian were the first ones I started from small bulbils and have now produced quite nice size bulbs.

Early part of this summer was really dry and we got rain in July. This seem to have affected on garlic, so that the wrappers have split and some of the cloves are bare. The phenomenon seems to be affecting porcelains most. I did also get an advice that this could be caused by boron deficiency.
Bonavista Fireball.jpg
Kostyns Red Russian.jpg

Argentina, Music and Persian Star were started from bulbils, which I received 2018 and I planted the biggest rounds grown from those to the field fall 2019. These produced a bit smaller divided bulbs than the ones grown from the rounds, which I had grown two seasons.
Argentina.jpg
Music.jpg
Persian Star.jpg
Chesnok Red rounds were so small last year, that all of them were planted still to containers this spring to grow a bit more. I have a lot of various size rounds from all of these varieties, which I grew in containers this spring. Unfortunately we have onion maggots here in the city and those got into the growing rounds and I had to harvest them early and they did not grow as much as I would have liked. Still there is plenty of good ones to keep growing them bigger next year.

I am really excited that this project has now produced real heads of garlic and all of them look so good. Big thanks to Bower for sending me the bulbils! :)

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

bower
Reactions:

Re: Transatlantic Garlic Project

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 am

[mention]svalli[/mention] Very nice! :) We had the same kind of summer here, hot in June and wet in July. I think the wet weather is to blame for issues with the wrappers, and I'm anxiously hoping for a dry week because it's harvest time here too, for all the early types: the porcelains, marbled purple stripes and glazers which all made scapes at the same time. Also the smaller plants which are growing up have fewer leaves and fewer wrappers, so they can't afford to lose as many.
Since I have all of them here at my house, I've been watching carefully and have already taken up those that were ready with few green leaves left - the ones that made rounds came first, and those that are smaller and fewer got to dry down with all my TLC before the main crop. I decided to take up some rows of Early Purple in one bed (the smaller ones) on Saturday evening before it rained. I was surprised to see how wet the ground was and made it difficult to clean them, but they were certainly ready. The bulbs look great, although there are a few damaged cloves from wireworm there and few wrappers left - in the other bed the EP are even larger and with more leaves they can go some more days. But I will take up some other young ones first, as soon as the ground has dried a bit. Kolkja Glazer, Kolkja Red Russian and Alexandra are ready to come up. Tallinn are as big as my main crop porcelains and have as many leaves! So will get a few more days. I will have pics of everything soon... it's so exciting!! :D
One thing I have noticed in very wet years, is that the leaves are not so good an indicator if the crop is ready or past ready. Another grower here advised me to also count any tips that are drying, and estimate when 1/3 of the total leaf area is gone as well as the time that passed from scape harvest. The lower leaves might be mostly green while those wrappers are long gone. So I am a bit anxious, but looking forward to see some lovely big bulbs!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

svalli
Reactions:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 am

I have noticed the same thing with the leaves and wrappers that the leave may still be mostly green, but the wrapper has started to deteriorate. This is especially with the Glazed Purple Stripe types, so Early Purple and Kolkja Glazer should be lifted early. I forgot that again this year and most of mine have only three good wrappers left.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Too funny, I just spent a couple of hours cleaning the Kolkja Glazer, and noticing how difficult that was. :) Beautiful bulbs though!
I can't believe we have showers forecast tonight and again tomorrow evening. I have the Alexandra and Kolkja Red Russian still to clean up tonight, and hopefully we'll have some dry hours tomorrow to get that last row of Early Purple.
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:45 am

I just dug the last row of Early Purple and cleaned them right away - it was much easier than last night! I took up the others yesterday before my friends arrived for supper, so they sat for several hours drying before I started the cleanup. This was a mistake, and made it more difficult. If I had this situation again, I think I might use a damp cloth to keep the lower leaf and wrapper soft and pliable.
So let me show all my pics of the glazers first! We have never grown any of this type before, and none of the growers that I know in this area have tried them. Although they have many cloves per bulb (8-9) I am really impressed with how quickly they are sizing up. The Kolkja Glazer which I took up yesterday afternoon produced all bulbs from all rounds that were sown, and produced a very nice size of bulb for the first year, from rounds that were not huge, just about the size of a marble. The bed they were in has a rocky clay subsoil and the amended depth is not very deep - their roots were down into the plain clay and they seemed to like it well enough - this is really encouraging for my old vegetable beds which still have a high clay content, that garlic may do quite well there.
garlic2020-KGlazer-348.JPG
garlic2020-KolkjaGlazer-clean-369.JPG
Also growing in the same bed I planted 30 Early Purple mostly cloves, just two large rounds, which were lifted a few days earlier. The ten largest rounds and cloves were in the bed I dug today - 100% survival in both beds, and Kolkja Glazer was close to 100% as well.
This pic of the early 30 shows the size distribution and the number of bulbs with minor damage to a clove or two from wireworm, probably. The largest bulbs are a very good result for year 3, and I was pretty shocked to see that the largest Kolkja Glazer are almost as large as these in year 2! :)
2020-EarlyPurple-Sbed303.JPG
garlic2020-2glazers-409.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:58 am

Here are the bulbs from ten largest cloves and rounds - including one very large round! of Early Purple.
I staggered this row to compare survivorship and bulb size of cloves vs rounds. There was no difference - it depends only on the size and the environment. I found tree roots had invaded this bed and some bulbs may have been affected by it, however most of these bulbs are as large as the largest from the other bed. And the one large round, well it produced a bulb which is 2 inches + wide, which certainly qualifies as full size category to me. Beautiful and no damages at all either. :)
So I am continuing to be really excited about both of these Glazers, which seem to be adapting really well to our crazy climate. :D
I have to check the weather now and see what else I can possibly take up before it starts to rain again, but will post some more about the other garlics soon.
2020-EarlyPurple-lastrow-417.JPG
2020-EP-cloves-vs-rounds-425.JPG
2020-EPlargest-cleaned-429.JPG
2020-EPseedgarlic-437.JPG
temperate marine climate

svalli
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Wow! Those are nice looking and so clean. When the Glazed Purple Stripes cure, the wrappers will get purple and have a shiny luster. Those will be beauties.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:59 pm

You two are so lucky to be able to swap garlic. Enjoying seeing and reading about the different varieties you have

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:42 pm

It's hard for me to find words to express what it means to me, the gift of so many diverse varieties from [mention]svalli[/mention]'s amazing garlic collection. So many thanks, Sari, it's an honor to receive such a gift and so very appreciated. We don't have a long tradition of garlic growing here, and the sort of festivals and garlic exchanges that occur on the mainland of Canada are far away. There is some access through the internet but even there it's tenuous to get seed garlic. Even my first garlic, Music, was grown from bulbils that formed on a gift of scapes. :) So it is a real joy to grow so many new kinds and to see that some are outstanding and adapting really well... I will save the Marbled Purple Stripes for last, since I have one row of Tallinn still in the ground. ;) Ah but after that, the late ones are still to come! Kolkja Purple...:)

Lautrec - this should have been a later garlic due to scapes being later (about the same as Chesnok, Persian Star and Kolkja Purple). But those that made rounds were ready earlier, and they flopped over so I lifted them, and then a few more with no scape but a couple of cloves, and finally the last ones had only three leaves left, I couldn't let them go any longer.
For a creole I was really pleased to see quite good survival of rounds planted outdoors, and the largest round this year is about 2 cm diameter which is very good. There was low survivorship of the tiny cloves from a bulb that formed the first year, but the few survivors made nice rounds as well. The shape and color of the rounds is simply beautiful... such a nice pink and a more oval shape than the usual rounds. They also smelled fantastic.:)
Even though we did have a hot spring which they maybe liked especially well, they seem to be doing as well as any typical garlic growing up from bulbils.
garlicLautrec2020-315.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:58 pm

The three softnecks also performed as well as I would expect in their second year. But the weather was "strange" enough, they all made bulbils in their necks! Messidor was the most prolific and made bulbs as well as rounds last year, they survived this winter very well. A row of the small cloves produced some very nice rounds. The largest are about 2+ cm. Rounds made small bulbs 2-4 cm diameter.
Germidour is the first to come through the ground in spring, and also flopped over early to say I'm done. I noticed there was some biting starting to happen there, so maybe they also flop over to say, help somebody's eating me! The small bulbs are about 2.5 cm and the large round is also over 2 cm diameter. The Germidour is a beautiful color and seems to have an especially nice smell as well.
Thermidrome is not such a happy camper. Survival the first year was low, then this time we are down to four. The smaller bulbs got bitten as well, but the two larger ones should be fine. And of course, there are bulbils as well!
Overall with bulbs 2-4 cm I think this is pretty normal for two years from bulbils, so I'm contented to see the progress with these.
garlicSoftnecks2020-325.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Marbled Purple Stripes - wow this is a really diverse group with a lot of power. :)
Three of these that have been most prolific and quick to size up: Tallinn, Alexandra and Kolkja Red Russian.
Alexandra produced an even mix of rounds and bulbs last year, while Kolkja Red Russian made mostly large rounds and a couple of small bulbs. The largest of both were planted in two rows each in the same bed. Two rows of the largest Tallinn cloves and giant round as well. A backup row of Tallinn went in the new bed, while backups for Alexandra and KRR went to a small bed south of the greenhouse which is now sunny since large trees were removed in the fall.
In the main bed, I've been worrying about the garlic all summer. All of the plants in the middle of the bed looked especially stressed and dry, although I kept watering them through the hot weather. Only when I dug them I discovered that tree roots have made their way in and were right up around the bulbs of Alexandra and Kolkja Red Russian, not only drinking their water but eating their food too. :evil: So I think this may have affected the size of some bulbs, and some of those produced just a three clove bulb instead of a full one. Not a problem: they are plenty big cloves and I would not be ashamed to plant any of them. :) It is an excellent result for two years from bulbils.
Survival of Kolkja Red Russian (mainly rounds) was not as good as Alexandra, but there were two very nice bulbs in the backup bed and a few Alexandra as well. There was little or no insect damage on either of these, so plenty of good garlic to plant.
garlic2020-KolkyaRR-365.JPG
garlic2020-KolkyaRR-cleaned-371.JPG
garlic2020-Alexandra-356.JPG
garlic2020-Alexandra-clean-374.JPG
garlic2020-marbledpurplestripes-400.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 pm

Forgot to mention that Kolkja Red Russian and Alexandra both produced a few rounds - and one of Kolkja RR is collossal - about one and a half inches diameter. :)
It is shown here with some other rounds and makes them look small - well not really. Topinky at the back is over 2 cm diameter, and Ziemiai are about the same. I'm very curious about these two which had low survivorship but the surviving rounds are a nice size. I don't know what group they belong to because I haven't yet seen their scapes, so here's hoping these rounds do survive and make bulbs next year. Topinky has a very special color - almost a blue purple, and unlike the red purple of the others. Mikulov are quite small and few survived that were planted - only 32 percent according to my notes. They are too small to make bulbs next year, but perhaps they will make bigger rounds.
garlicrounds2020-TZMAKRR311.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Finally, I brought in two rows of Tallinn today. I left six largest plants in the back row, to harvest on the same day as my main crop porcelains which are in the next bed, so I can compare the size - the plant from that giant round is going to be big! :D
Tallinn has now survived two miserable summers, and the wet winter of 2019 which wiped out Siberian. Even in the second largest rows, I have some beautiful 2 inch + bulbs. :)
I'm really pleased that there is so little damage this season, no sign of the diseases and pests that are a special plague in wet weather. There are a few bites on a few bulbs, that only affected one clove. So I have put those bulbs in a separate bunch, to make sure that I don't plant a damaged clove by mistake.
There are a few showers in the forecast this week but no more than a couple of mm expected, and the weather will be warm to hot (by local standards, over 21 C) all week, so I am not worried about leaving the main crop to dry down and size up a bit more. And it's an early harvest year! So far I'm really pleased with the garlic.
2020-garlicTallinn2rows-449.JPG
2020garlic-Tallinn-463.JPG
2020garlic-Tallinn-2inchbulbs-467.JPG
2020garlic-Tallinn-lastrow-457.JPG
temperate marine climate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Impressive collection of garlic under the restrictions you have indicated [mention]Bower[/mention]. Very impressed with the detail also. Maybe a few bulbils available from further afield if you are interested

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:30 am

I agree, very nice collection. [mention]Bower[/mention] , I see that you're using labels attached to a bundle of garlic. I did that the past couple of years but I switched to a new method that [mention]pepperhead212[/mention] uses. Basically you write the initials of the variety on the stalk with a sharpie. It's a bit more work but I like this because there's no chance of the label falling off a bundle. It also allows me to separate the bundle out so they dry better. I write initials like (GEH German Extra Hardy, OB = Oregon Blue, B=Blossom).

bower
Reactions:

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:10 pm

I had the luxury of several sunny days to bring the rest of the early garlic in before the rain last night. As I suspected, that single bulb of Tallinn from a huge round in year two is the biggest bulb of any kind of garlic this year, and beat out my main crop porcelains. :) Considering that we just had two miserable years, I am really impressed to see how well they sized up overall in only three years.
Tallinn-lastrow515.JPG
Tallinncleaned-523.JPG
After cleaning and selecting the largest bulbs for seed, which are hanging in the top row, Music was the largest of the three porcelains, but not as large as the magnificent Tallinn. 8-) The porcelains are bigger than last year but not the biggest ever for sure. This I believe is due to smaller seed because of last year's awful summer and late harvest. Overall though I'm well pleased. And I certainly won't be short of garlic this winter! As well as having plenty of very clean seed to plant.
2020garlic-seedcompare-539.JPG
temperate marine climate

bower
Reactions:

Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:31 pm

I also took up the Kolkja Purple a few days earlier than the bigger Purple Stripes, as the small plants were looking quite done to the point of losing the critical wrapper. The results are very similar to what I experienced with Persian Star and Chesnok Red - the first year bulbs are very small and have about 6-9 cloves each. This is actually not bad compared to 9-13 cloves which the others produced year after year! Those with fewer cloves will make the bigger seed to plant.
Second picture shows the KP hanging next to Kolkja Glazer which is also two years from bulbils and in its first bulb year, just to show how small the Purple Stripe bulbs can typically be. I am expecting to dig the Persian Star and Chesnok Red midweek, and I have high hopes of a mature size bulb because the strange weather last year caused them to produce fewer cloves, therefore larger seed... If they really are full sized it will be a triumph of patience after six years from bulbils. Any time our season is shortened by bad weather, it's hardest on the late-scaping varieties.
Another standard Purple Stripe from svalli called Lyubasha had poor survival over 3 years, making rounds a bit larger but getting fewer each year, and this year none came up.
Survival of Kolkja Purple in contrast was excellent, close to 100%. All of the KP rounds made small bulbs, and I wonder if there is a method to coax any of these into making a large round, which gave such a jump start to the Marbled and Glazed groups. I have enough small bulbs to consider some experiments to try. :)
2020garlic-kolkjapurple-610.JPG
2020garlic-seedsizecompare-611.JPG
temperate marine climate

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 pm

wow, that is all some beautiful looking garlic! planted some late this year and got some smaller bulbs which can put out oct/nov. this is encouraging me to pay a little more attention as i so love garlic and next year plans are already being laid out in the beds (on paper that is)
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

svalli
Reactions:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 am

Here are the full garlic heads of 2021 from the project on this side of the Atlantic. I am really satisfied with the results.

PSX_20210730_115620.jpg

I did also grow some rounds to get them bigger, so I have now plenty to plant and we can eat some of the full grown ones.

Sari

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:48 pm

My early garlic are harvested early this year which has been a very warm season overall, and these are my results so far... very pleased! :D
I just noticed [mention]svalli[/mention] your description of porcelain damage due to dry June and then rain in July 2020, very similar to what I experienced this year. So I was really thrilled to see that the thriving Marbled Purple Stripe varieties you sent me were much more tolerant of the extremes and had minimal damages of any kind. Full size bulbs of Tallinn, Kolkja Red Russian, and Alexandra.
garlic2021-mps3-861.JPG
I have lots of smaller bulbs of these as well, about 1.5 inch diameter, which are perfect for us to eat this year. :)
The two glazers also did very well this season and I have lovely bulbs for next year's seed. The Kolkja Glazer which is a year younger than Early Purple probably should have been pulled earlier due to its smaller size/younger age, and like the porcelains, it suffered some wrapper damage from the July rains, but still produced lots of good cloves for planting. The glazers are simply beautiful plants and seem to like it here, and the purple bulbs are stunning. They both produced 7-8 good sized cloves per bulb.
garlic2021-glazers-806.JPG
In the extra rows of smaller cloves planted I also got a couple of good rounds from each of the glazers. These will produce big bulbs!
Shown here with Germidour.
garlic2021-gd-and-rounds-879.JPG
The softnecks seem to have suffered pretty badly this year of extreme weather - as I commented in the garlic 2021 thread, I believe soil and nutrients was simply washed down into the rocky below by the record rain in April. Germidour produced nearly all rounds and just two quite small bulbs. The rounds are a good size though, so I will be happy to plant again. Messidor produced mostly very small bulbs, and has bulbils in the necks again. It is true that we had difficulty with softnecks here before, that they have trouble adapting to our crazy variation in weather year to year. But the rounds are a good size, and perhaps they have that 'growing up' energy as well to boost them back if next year is kind enough. I will be giving some thought as to where to plant these - perhaps I can tailor a bed for them with a better microclimate?
The late scaping hardnecks are not due until next week, so we'll see what mother nature has to say between now and then - maybe they won't get rained out just at harvest time, I hope! ;)
garlic2021-messidor857.JPG
temperate marine climate

Return to “Garlic”