garlic bulbils, and catawissa topsets offer

rxkeith
Reactions:

garlic bulbils, and catawissa topsets offer

Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:28 pm

i thought about posting this on seed swap site, but bulbils, and topsets aren't seeds,
so i dunno. anyway here is what i have to offer, and you can move the post wherever
it belongs.

i have what came to me as german hard neck garlic from someone i knew in the thumb region
of the state. the plant with scape gets to about 4 ft high, and produces a fairly large bulb
with 6 to 7 cloves. good flavor, not too hot. this variety produces large bulbils big enough
to peel and eat. most large bulbils will form a fully divided bulb the following year. the
bulbils that don't divide will form a large round. i have a bunch.

i also have a mix of smaller bulbils of garlic purchased from a local source. the guy said
he had grown music, and red or white russian. these bulbils will take three years to produce
full size bulbs, so keep that in mind if you are an impatient sort.

next is catawissa walking onion topsets.
i got my start from martin, several years ago.
catawissas are a multiplier type onion like eygptian onions, only bigger.
topsets are planted in the fall. when summer comes along, you can use a few
as green onions, but leave some go, and they will produce a stalk with topsets at the
top, and often a second stalk will grow out of the initial one producing more topsets.
when immature you can eat the topsets, i did, but they are HOT. once fall rolls around
you can pull the small purple bulb in the ground and eat it or leave it in the ground, and
it will divide. eventually it will form a clump of onions.
glen at sandhill preservation likes the catawissas over the egyptian onions.

send me a pm with your address, and what you would like, and i will mail them in a padded
mailer. i am willing to swap, but not necessary. mailing costs i suspect will be in the 4 to 5
dollar range, but i will let you know. cash or check, accepted.

keith

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Re: garlic bulbils, and catawissa topsets offer

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:50 pm

[mention]rxkeith[/mention] check your messages that I sent on Friday.

Paquebot
Reactions:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:54 pm

FYI Difference between Catawissa and ordinary walking onions is the number of topsets. Regular Egyptians produce just one cluster. Catawissa will double and triple-stack clusters. That was an important factor 100 years ago when spring onions were so important. They produced many more sets to plant back.

Martin

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:20 am

Paquebot wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:54 pm FYI Difference between Catawissa and ordinary walking onions is the number of topsets. Regular Egyptians produce just one cluster. Catawissa will double and triple-stack clusters. That was an important factor 100 years ago when spring onions were so important. They produced many more sets to plant back.
Interesting info. I have the regular walking onions that I bought at Burpees five or six years ago before I got a community garden plot. Wish I waited and got free bulbs as they’re very common.

Looking forward to comparing Catawissa with my regular walking onions.

Return to “Garlic”