Watermelon enthusiasts rejoice!

How many pies can your family eat in a year?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

I don't know
50%
0 to 1
25%
10 to 19
25%
2 to 4
No votes
5 to 9
No votes
20 to 45
No votes
Any amount
No votes

Total votes: 4

Shule
Reactions:

Watermelon enthusiasts rejoice!

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Hooray! There's a dedicated watermelon forum, now! I've very happy about it!

It's the off-season, but a relative found a barely molding watermelon half in the refrigerator! I grew it in the garden. I didn't know it was still in there (it's been several weeks, I believe). That was the last regular watermelon, anyhow.

We've got loads of Red-seeded Citron watermelons left to eat. We had one volunteer plant, this year, and it produced 29 fruits (26 were mature enough to be very usable)! I've been making them into watermelon crisp, which basically looks and tastes like apple crisp (a little different, but just as good; the fruit texture is firmer, and the taste is a touch different). It's excellent stuff—you could make good pies with them, too. I add brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and citric acid to the filling. The topping for the crisp is made from butter, brown sugar, and oats. One fruit makes about two watermelon crisps.

I still have enough fruits to make probably over 40 pies. That's a lot of dessert!
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Re: Watermelon enthusiasts rejoice!

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:54 am

Never grown or eaten citron in a pie or crumble, but have had them made into a candied form and into pickles. Souunds interesting.

I have a serious weakness for melons.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:06 pm

I have never had a watermelon pie. Sounds intriguing.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 am

[mention]Nan6b[/mention] I read you can put postage on a watermelon and mail it. I guess that's one way to deal with them if you have extras! Maybe when I get more stamps … 😉 Maybe. Citron watermelons are probably more durable than rocks. I'm sure they would arrive undamaged.

TheDante
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 am

20190819_111211.jpg
First time I ever heard of watermelon pie too! wow! :o

Glad to know that there are a few fans of this wonderful fruit too

We grew our 1st watermelons this year outdoors and we were blown away by it! No one believe we were able to grow them in Germany´s weather and it was a resounding success! Our neighbours and friends were so impressed! :lol:

We had a massive fruit (almost 7kg) from Jubilee and decent sizes from Charleston Gray and Crimson Sweet. My husband loves watermelon and he was speechless! We all were! The white flesh was even sweet and crisp! The seeds were massive too and definitely will be in our garden next year again :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Shule wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:39 am @Nan6b I read you can put postage on a watermelon and mail it. I guess that's one way to deal with them if you have extras! Maybe when I get more stamps … 😉 Maybe. Citron watermelons are probably more durable than rocks. I'm sure they would arrive undamaged.
Yes, but you pay by the ounce. :lol:

hdrider
Reactions:

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:01 pm

Ditto, I never even heard of a watermelon pie...lol It does sound interesting though!
Tracy

Conjunction junction what's your function - whoops wrong place!

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:06 pm

[mention]hdrider[/mention]
Imagine apple pie, with firmer fruit slices and a slightly more citrusy taste. That's probably what it would taste like with the filling I used for watermelon crisp.

If you use regular watermelon, you won't get anything like the same results. ;) Use Citron watermelon (or another recipe!)

Maybe watermelon cream pie could be made with raw regular watermelon.

Return to “Watermelon”