What's your favorite hybrid eastern-style cantaloupe?

Shule
Reactions:

What's your favorite hybrid eastern-style cantaloupe?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Ambrosia F1 is pretty famous for being super sweet and good. Have any others supplanted it? There are plenty of others that look promising. Athena F1 is supposed to be pretty good, but there are lots of newer ones, I think.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Rockandrollin
Reactions:

Re: What's your favorite hybrid eastern-style cantaloupe?

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:00 am

Ananas Coquette F1 from Burpees. Good taste and about the size and shape of a football or larger. Easy to tell when ripe by color and slip from vine. Seemed to be one of the earlier ones to ripen. This would not be a good market melon as they have very poor shelf life. Although this is a hybrid, the saved seeds seemed to grow true if it wasn't grown with other cantaloupes or honeydews around.

GardenGuy00
Reactions:

Re: What's your favorite hybrid eastern-style cantaloupe?

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:04 am

I'm a big fan of the generically-named Burpee F1 from the titular seed company. It's incredibly sweet with a complexity far beyond any melon you'd get at the store. I like Ambrosia F1 too but it's a bit less complex in my experience.

Accounting for other factors besides taste, Minnesota Midget is a must-grow for me. It's a bit less flavorful than the two varieties mentioned above, though still far superior to any store-bought melon. However, it's incredibly early and very high-yielding. It's a nice small melon which can easily be eaten in one or two servings.

Return to “Muskmelon (Cucumis melo)”