Package Said 4-6’

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Re: Package Said 4-6’

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 am

Sorry folk. I completely missed these comments until now.

[mention]brownrexx[/mention], thanks for that tip. I thought I read somewhere that squash doesn't do well with damage to their stems and if you cut them the plant could die - from disease getting in or just because it doesn't like it so much. Has that not been your experience? Maybe I misunderstood what I read or remembered wrong.

[mention]ddsack[/mention], I bought the tanks off of Craigslist. The guy had 30-some of them and wanted one person to buy all of them so I did. He said he got them from a store that he use to work at before moving to my county and brought them with him. Said they are stock tanks. I thought he said for raising fish but I think of "stock tanks" as watering troughs for horses and cows.

I Googled like crazy and couldn't find the same ones anywhere but there are lots of other similar options out there. These are 6-feet diameter x 2-feet tall. I drilled 3/8" holes low on the sides to let water drain but hopefully small enough to keep critters from getting in. The undersides are convexed up into the tank. The convexed section didn't collapse when we filled them.

This picture shows the inside of one when we installed the first ones in 2017. It rained and water settled along the sides.
IMG_0816.JPG

This picture was in March when I was deciding on the layout for the additions. The two in the foreground are up-side-down. (I was drilling the drainage holes.) They have water and ice in the concaved part.
P1050126.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:23 am

[mention]WoodSprite[/mention] I have cut off vines many times and never had a problem but maybe that's because I never read anything that said not to. Ha ha.

Lots of times I have winter squash vines near the edge of my in-ground garden and they sprawl into the yard where they get mowed off by hubby on his lawn mower. I have never pruned summer squash so I don't know if there is a difference.

ddsack
Reactions:

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:09 pm

I bought the tanks off of Craigslist. The guy had 30-some of them and wanted one person to buy all of them so I did. He said he got them from a store that he use to work at before moving to my county and brought them with him. Said they are stock tanks. I thought he said for raising fish but I think of "stock tanks" as watering troughs for horses and cows.

I Googled like crazy and couldn't find the same ones anywhere but there are lots of other similar options out there.
Yes, I'd never seen that exact model either. So there were no original drains or plug areas near the bottom? That would make sense if they were intended for raising fish, because you wouldn't want the plug to accidentally loosen and drain your tank overnight before you were aware of it. Sounds like you got a heck of deal!

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Fri May 01, 2020 12:45 am

[mention]brownrexx[/mention] - That's great to know about no damage when trimming squash vines. Whew! I won't worry about that now. Thanks!

[mention]ddsack[/mention] - Correct. When the tanks were new, they didn't have holes in them. He put very large holes in some of them up high on the sides. He used a few for gardening, too. I suspect that they were waterlogged because his drain holes were so high. I put my holes low. I still have approximately 10 tanks that don't have holes in them and 2 that I did put holes in but decided not to use. I'll probably end up selling the extras at some point. I knew I wouldn't use all of them but he wouldn't sell anything but all of them to one person.

[mention]karstopography[/mention] - Sorry for hijacking your thread but I'm really glad that you posted about your spaghetti squash. Thanks to the input here I've decided to grow mine.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri May 01, 2020 4:35 am

2B42390A-D39C-4CEB-83E3-FC8B73960951.jpeg
818E9B1F-0FD9-4717-AD1B-EF212DE9206C.jpeg
[mention]WoodSprite[/mention] I’ve enjoyed thread, wherever it’s gone. Those big tractor supply vessels look great and ingenious for a raised bed.

The spaghetti squash in question looks good. It’s grown up and over it’s trellis and completely encircled the Mortgage Lifter tomato. I pruned off some leaves of the squash on the main stem as I saw they were almost completely shading the tomato plant. Several secondary stems are moving into and onto other tomato plants. I’m just mostly going with it and doing a little steering and guiding with the squash stems. It’s crazy how fast the plant grows. The little tendrils can be put on a stem or string and in an hour they will be wrapped around it.

Main stem circles the tomato plant at the level of my wife’s head and then is all the way around to the trellis on the back side. That Stem has to be 12’ now. BTW, I used my wife’s image without her consent or permission. :? :( :) If something happens to me and I suddenly disappear, she’s your main suspect. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed May 06, 2020 7:35 pm

A5C35B60-4703-4DD5-A6D7-5C67AE54EA3F.jpeg
946B6840-DBDD-45A7-863E-CAA454EC824F.jpeg
Still growing and setting some squash. Loving this plant, so interesting watching it grow.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Squash”