Purple POLE Beans recommendations?

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Purple POLE Beans recommendations?

Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Can anyone give a positive review on any purple pole bean varieties? I had a mystery one last year that I thought could have had better flavour though they were good for not being stringy.

Dawn
Reactions:

Re: Purple POLE Beans recommendations?

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:37 pm

I've only grown the "purple podded pole beans" from baker creek. I like them, but I don't have much to compare them to.
Dawn
Zone 6b/7a
Central Washington State (it's a desert here)

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:09 pm

I rate purple podded beans generally between the green ones (the best, with the best of the best being the green "Romano" flat podded ones) and "round" yellow wax beans. The flat podded yellow wax beans are about equal to the purple podded beans, if this hasn't confused you. I'll go through my collection by next week with recommendations.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:07 am

I like Blue Coco a lot. It was very prolific when I grew it in the SF Bay Area.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:49 am

I’ve also grown and liked ‘Purple Podded Pole’ from Baker Creek.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:50 am

I see that bean from the 1930's Baker seeds a lot online. Must be a good one. But this is the first I see of the Blue Coco. Funny how things don't come up in searches. I rightly thought growers here would know more. West Coast seeds also has one called Purple Peacock. I don't have room for all these varieties but I do have friends!

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Maybe we need to post an invite at the "Bean, Pea, and other Legume" forum at Gardenweb/Houzz. There is also a heirloom bean group (invitation only) at Facebook, but I haven't heard back from my request to join.

There are also varieties with purple streaks, like Rattlesnake (green/purple) and Dragon's Tongue (yellow/purple) , a flat-podded bush wax bean.

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:32 pm

I've grown Purple Peacock several times. It's prolific and tastes very good :).

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:34 am

I grew Blauhilde a few years ago, they were tasty, tender, not stringy. Now I'm tempted to grow them again next season. I already have some Carminat to try out.

I didn't enjoy the Purple Podded Poles at all, I thought they were tough and tasted like grass. I really want all beans to be like those delicate, rich French filet beans though...

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:35 am

The "tasted like grass" comment perfectly describes Contender, the only snap bean I really dislike.
I can't find my list at the moment, but these I recall that I have...

Blue Coco
Dow Purple Pod
Purple King
Purple Peacock
Purple Podded Pole
Trionfo Violetto

Some of the above may be the same variety, as the seeds looks extremely similar. I also have some seed of Trionfo Violetto (from a trade) that does not look like the Trionfo Violetto that I've sown in the past.

also..
Blue Marbut (green with purple patches)
Rattlesnake (green with purple streaks)
Royal Burgundy (bush)
Velour (bush)
I also have some crosses that I'm working on.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:35 am

Though not a true purple, I second the recommendation for the purple-streaked Rattlesnake variety. It will turn green when you cook it, however.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:12 am

All of the purple coloring on pods will disappear when cooked, and revert to the "background" color. Most are green beans. Dragon Langerie/Dragon's Tongue is a purple streaked yellow "wax bush bean, so it turns all yellow. And I have a "neon" pink pole bean (Flamingo ) that goes from pink to yellow when cooked.

As for the flavor of beans, I recommend Supermarconi. It's sort of the "Brandywine Sudduth of beans" for some of us.

guruofgardens
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 pm

Tormato's Flamingo pole beans were a 'wonder to see' in the community garden every time I grew them. The visitors to the garden always asked for a sample for the pretty beans. This year I'm trying new-to-me green (Fortex) and yellow (Monte Gusto) pole beans along with the red noodle beans and Blue Marbut beans.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:42 pm

guruofgardens wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:40 pm This year I'm trying new-to-me green (Fortex) and yellow (Monte Gusto) pole beans along with the red noodle beans and Blue Marbut beans.
I think you'll like Fortex. That's a family favorite around here. We judge all our beans the same around here - if they taste great straight off the vine (raw), they're a 'keeper'.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:23 pm

The best flavored raw bean I've tried is Zelma Zesta. To me, it tastes better raw than cooked. Sweet, tender, and very juicy And, with raw beans its best to pick them very young, before the immature beans begin to enlarge. Anything close to full sized beans, ready to start drying should be avoided.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:23 pm The best flavored raw bean I've tried is Zelma Zesta. To me, it tastes better raw than cooked. Sweet, tender, and very juicy And, with raw beans its best to pick them very young, before the immature beans begin to enlarge. Anything close to full sized beans, ready to start drying should be avoided.
Sounds like one I might try, Tormato. Does it have a 'string' you have to deal with?

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Stringless.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:14 am

Tormato, does the Flamingo bean stay pink if you steam them with a bit of lemon juice added to them?

I need to try those still, would like to be picking pink beans!
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:19 pm

I doubt lemon juice would have any affect. When cooked, purple or red on green beans disappears to all green, and purple or pink on yellow beans disappears to all yellow, as far as I know. They'll stay pink if eaten raw. ;) You just need to be careful that the beans inside aren't reaching maturity.

zendog
Reactions:

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:32 pm

If you are looking for color that will stay when cooked, I have found that the red noodle variety of yard long beans does keep its red/mahogany color when I stir fry or sautee (never tried steaming them), plus they stayed red when pickled as dilly beans. I've always thought they would be attractive with green beans and wax beans in a mix either cooked or raw, maybe in a bean salad of some type.

That said, they are definitely not the same flavor/texture of regular string beans. But when the rattlesnakes shut down in the heat of summer, the red noodles keep the beans coming regardless of how hot it gets.

Return to “Pole Beans”