Nickel and Rolande french filet bush beans

karstopography
Reactions:

Nickel and Rolande french filet bush beans

Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Anyone grow either one of these? Planted some of each today to compliment my purple pole CARMINAT and Emerite. We love the flavor of Emerite, but the others are new to us.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

ddsack
Reactions:

Re: Nickel and Rolande french filet bush beans

Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:23 pm

I've grown Nickel off and on for a few years, it is a short and slender baby bean that holds quality well. I blanch and freeze it whole without slicing, since it can be packed into ziplock pint bags as is. Nice to have a different kind of green bean, but you won't get as much poundage from a row, if that is a consideration, because of it's petite size.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Nickel was okay. I haven't grown many bush beans. Velour is a purple bush bean, a little bit bigger, same filet style. Pauldor was sold as a compliment to those two, but was terribly small and I would not recommend. But nickel was okay. Bush beans for me just get nipped by rodents.

I can't remember exactly how emerite was; I think good, but the year I grew them, I grew about 20 different pole beans and it was hard to keep track once the weather faded the markers and they crossed each other's vines.

Carminat is very similar to fortex (green, biggest and latest) and monte gusto (yellow and a bit earlier and smaller). I have had fortex and carminat cross and they taste as good and are maybe a little more vigorous, or bean beetle resistant. I noticed thisone year when the only beans that weren't eaten by terrible bean beetle infestation were a purple/green cross, three vines backtracked to one plant, and the seed was harvested the previous year from fortex vines near carminat vines. The seed coat was not quite as pure brown as the fortex seed, and had slight lighter specks.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:29 pm

145319D2-F9BD-4CF6-83F9-B470E874C7A2.jpeg
Planted a ~10 square foot area of Rolande bush beans Mid August, then 32 square feet September 1st.
Almost all these are from the first planting. The September patch is bursting with little beans and blooms.

I was craving green beans so I’m glad I planted some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:21 am

I've found most bush filet types to have above average flavor. And, I've found that most bush filet types need to be constantly picked, as older pods begin to toughen up. It looks like you'll still be busy in the garden, while us envious northerners are done harvesting for the year.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:45 am

Tormato wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:21 am I've found most bush filet types to have above average flavor. And, I've found that most bush filet types need to be constantly picked, as older pods begin to toughen up. It looks like you'll still be busy in the garden, while us envious northerners are done harvesting for the year.
I had one tough bean yesterday that I must have let go too long before picking. I do enjoy looking for the ready to pick beans so hopefully not too many will get to the tough stage.

Busy for sure here, the pattern for the next month and a half or so will be transitioning from warm to cool season crops. Transitioning in this case means lots elbow grease type of stuff like shoveling compost, digging up the old pepper plants and roots, forking in compost, amendments and fertilizer, planting sets and seeds. But, I do love the fall and winter gardening.

Danny
Reactions:

Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Haven't grown Roland, but have grown Nickel before with good results. Trying to stay more with the pole beans as I get stuck bent over anymore, LOL, but Nickel is a good one to tuck in here and there. The flavor was good though you have to pick them a lot to stay on top of them.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:53 am

My favorite filet bush bean is Fin de Bagnol. But, I haven't seen any seed in about a decade.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:06 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:53 am My favorite filet bush bean is Fin de Bagnol. But, I haven't seen any seed in about a decade.
https://waylandchiles.com/Fin-de-Bagnol ... p282616834
Looks like they are available from the vendor above. Not exactly a steal though for 50 seeds. Most everyone else I came across was out of stock.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:09 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:53 am My favorite filet bush bean is Fin de Bagnol. But, I haven't seen any seed in about a decade.
Do you mean this one Tormato
https://kitchentableseedhouse.ca/products/fin-de-bagnol

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:26 am

Planted Rolande, Maxibel, Triomphe de Farcy, and Calima bush beans today. Calima and Triomphe de Farcy went into my 4’x10’ box where there are the three fall tomatoes planted and Maxibel and Rolande got the 4’x8’ box.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 am

karstopography wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:26 am Planted Rolande, Maxibel, Triomphe de Farcy, and Calima bush beans today. Calima and Triomphe de Farcy went into my 4’x10’ box where there are the three fall tomatoes planted and Maxibel and Rolande got the 4’x8’ box.
Do you think it's cool enough now for beans?
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:09 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 am
karstopography wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:26 am Planted Rolande, Maxibel, Triomphe de Farcy, and Calima bush beans today. Calima and Triomphe de Farcy went into my 4’x10’ box where there are the three fall tomatoes planted and Maxibel and Rolande got the 4’x8’ box.
I think so.

I planted bush beans September 1st, 2022 and went back and looked at 2022 temperatures for September.

The second half of September 2022 was hot, up to 98°, until the last four days of the month when it cooled down into the 80°s. The beans planted September 1, 2022 did really well and started producing sometime in the second half of October.

The forecast here is for hot weather continuing into next week, but cooling down quite a bit afterwards into the 80°s for the most part.

Bean seeds aren’t too pricy so it is worth a gamble.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:33 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:09 pm
worth1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 am
I think so.

I planted bush beans September 1st, 2022 and went back and looked at 2022 temperatures for September.

The second half of September 2022 was hot, up to 98°, until the last four days of the month when it cooled down into the 80°s. The beans planted September 1, 2022 did really well and started producing sometime in the second half of October.

The forecast here is for hot weather continuing into next week, but cooling down quite a bit afterwards into the 80°s for the most part.

Bean seeds aren’t too pricy so it is worth a gamble.
I'm drying out my containers as we speak and will give it a try with some more exotic beans again soon.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:24 am

IMG_2497.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg
All systems go for the bush beans as of October 1st. Two beds direct seeded September 10th, the other one September 25th. All but two rows are Maxibel, the remaining two of Rolande.

Weather is forecasted to cool off into the 80s and 60s, which will be just fine for flowering and fruiting beans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:50 am

IMG_2687.jpeg
I’ve been picking these for a week at least. I did remember some are Cantare and Calima from Baker Creek. So Maxibel, Rolande, Cantare, and Calima. One has subtle streaks of purple and the flowers are purple, either calima or cantare, but all have been a big hit with the neighbors, my mom especially. I’ll have some to eat for myself later this week.

The near frost we had a right around Halloween burned some leaves, but overall the beans have been doing well. Pests are minimal and the beans are well formed and almost all blemish free.

Henceforth, September planted fall bush beans are a must grow. Once these beans are done I’ll still have time to plant other cool weather crops in the bean spots before it’s time to transplant tomatoes and the other warm weather veggies into the same bed. I like these minimal down time plans, keep the garden productive at all times.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:00 pm

cantare are all the way green.

church members doug and kate got me started growing cantare. i think they are a good compromise
between a filet bean, and a more traditional green bean. picked fresh off the plant they have a hint of
sweetness to them. they are early, and very productive. easy to save seed from. doug and kate were always
buying them from i think baker creek. i told them they could save their own seed. doug set aside a few plants
to let them go to seed. kate came along and picked them. there was a failure to communicate intent there.

keith

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:12 pm

rxkeith wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:00 pm cantare are all the way green.

church members doug and kate got me started growing cantare. i think they are a good compromise
between a filet bean, and a more traditional green bean. picked fresh off the plant they have a hint of
sweetness to them. they are early, and very productive. easy to save seed from. doug and kate were always
buying them from i think baker creek. i told them they could save their own seed. doug set aside a few plants
to let them go to seed. kate came along and picked them. there was a failure to communicate intent there.

keith
The only other possibilities for the bush filet type beans with the faint purple streaking I see in my collection are tavera or triomphe de farcy.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:20 am

I left one little bed of mixed types of bush filet beans from the September 10th planting and we have been still getting enough fresh beans to have some in the air fryer every week or so. I keep thinking I’ll have to tear out these plants soon, but there’s been enough flowering or production on them I can’t bring myself to get rid of the plants yet.

Our warm spells this time of year seem to stimulate some additional flowering and subsequent fruiting. I didn’t expect to have any beans this late in the year so it has been a pleasant surprise. The beans themselves have been pretty and well formed and very unlike beans when it is getting too hot for them.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:17 am

karstopography wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:20 am I left one little bed of mixed types of bush filet beans from the September 10th planting and we have been still getting enough fresh beans to have some in the air fryer every week or so. I keep thinking I’ll have to tear out these plants soon, but there’s been enough flowering or production on them I can’t bring myself to get rid of the plants yet.

Our warm spells this time of year seem to stimulate some additional flowering and subsequent fruiting. I didn’t expect to have any beans this late in the year so it has been a pleasant surprise. The beans themselves have been pretty and well formed and very unlike beans when it is getting too hot for them.
IIRC, try cutting off stems that have already born snaps, about 1/2" above the notch the stems grow from. I remember, long ago, someone recommending it, as they said it produces new stems quicker on bush (determinate) plants. I'd only try it on a plant or two, because maybe I just don't remember correctly. ;)

Return to “Bush Beans”