Garden thieves

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Garden thieves

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:08 am

Last year, I had heavy pest problems from all fronts. My only solution at the time was extra early harvesting.

This upcoming year, I've deciding on some solutions to try. Sprays for the little buggers as well as bags to cover the fruit.

However, I still haven't come up with a solution to the small mammalian critters. You know, the ones that don't finish their plate, leaving you with half a chewed up tomato. I'm hopeful that the bags will prevent a lot of this too, but I also know that they can chew through tougher things than polyester.

Do any of you have some suggestions to prevent these critters from eating half the harvest? I live in a small city, so farm cats are out of the question. We do have an old Tom cat, who is now a soft house cat. Is it a good idea or even a safe idea to put cat litter outside???? I'm afraid to.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Garden thieves

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:29 am

I’ve had success with netting, but it can be a little laborious and tricky to get the nets just so. I wonder it something like strips of cloth soaked in cat urine or some other noxious substance and hung off the tomato supports would have any effect?

Squirrels were devastating to my tomatoes last season, but only towards the end, thankfully. I tried netting individual tomato clusters, but that effort largely failed. Since I’m in a rural area, I did the acute lead poisoning cure to about a dozen of the rodents, but it didn’t stop the destruction at all and my dog and wife have nixed the .22lr cure this year. I think I’m going to try a different netting strategy this time, more or a perimeter fence. My parent’s cat, who is a big squirrel hunter, comes by the garden, but the squirrels simply wait him out until he’s departed.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Last season I gardened at a Community Garden and my plot was the first plot right next to a wooded park. There were critters galore! I had a 30x30 space and had 37 tomatoes along with some other things. I got very little in return for all of my effort due to the critters and the people taking everything.

What did work for the critters was a spray that I made of cayenne pepper, habanero peppers, garlic, and rotten eggs. I put this all into a milk jug and let it ferment in the sun. When you are ready, add a drop of dish soap and spray it on your veggies. I wish that I could have used my hose end sprayer but access to the hose was limited. Spraying that many plants by hand was virtually impossible. Repeat after rain.

I also use this spray for the deer. On young trees and shrubs I will add some Wilt Proof to make it last several weeks. You wouldn't want to do that on your food though.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 pm

How does that spray affect the taste of your food?
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:21 pm

I would be afraid that spraying rotten eggs on your veggies could make you really sick. :shock:

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Rockoe10 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 pm How does that spray affect the taste of your food?
The veggies are just fine IF you wash them off well and you could omit the eggs if desired. No change at all. Do not use the Wilt Proof on the food. It does not wash off very well.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”