Please check out my Friend or Foe page

SQWIB
Reactions:

Please check out my Friend or Foe page

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:19 am

I would truly appreciate folks checking out my Friend or Foe page and add some comments, suggestions, corrections.

Friend or Foe

brownrexx
Reactions:

Re: Please check out my Friend or Foe page

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:06 am

I read the entire page and found it to be excellent with good photos.

However I do disagree about the yellow jackets. Yes, they are super aggressive and I HATE getting stung but if they are not in close proximity to my house or garden I just leave them alone and consider them to be a part of nature.

I do not consider them to be a FOE.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:52 am

Great info and photos!

SQWIB
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 am

Yeah the yellow jackets was a tough call for me because they can be very beneficial in the garden but they are far too aggressive to be around. A few family members including myself are highly allergic to these guys, so it can be life threatening, but it's the same with the bees, but the bees don't bother anyone, the yellow jackets are far too aggressive and they constantly get in our faces and forget it if you open a can of soda or have plate of food.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:06 am

SQWIB wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:00 am Yeah the yellow jackets was a tough call for me because they can be very beneficial in the garden but they are far too aggressive to be around. A few family members including myself are highly allergic to these guys, so it can be life threatening, but it's the same with the bees, but the bees don't bother anyone, the yellow jackets are far too aggressive and they constantly get in our faces and forget it if you open a can of soda or have plate of food.
Probably also hinges on your ability to "social distance" with them. I live on 4 acres so there is plenty of room for us as well as them. They do not usually nest near the house or garden so if I see that they have a nest somewhere, I steer clear of that place. Last year I saw a line of them going into and out of a hole in the ground at the edge of the property in a mulched bed with 2 trees. No problem for me with them there. Actually I was weeding that bed when I noticed them and I didn't get stung. I don't know why other than I stepped on the opening to their nest and they were busy trying to re-open it.

Nico
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:39 am

SQWIB, excellent page and beautiful photos of perfect quality, congratulations!
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Suggestion - as I just walked by my Maple tree that got covered with Spotted Lantern Fly's last year I remembered this thread. Although it is shown in the link when you click "'more" , it might be a good idea to show the adults with the larvae pictures.

bower
Reactions:

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Great page, SQWIB! Love how you made it personal to your garden. Ants are a foe for me as well, on account of the aphids and the fact they get into the house and greenhouse. I also found the commercial bait way too expensive (not to mention I only seemed to get half of it out before the little squeeze bottles blocked themselves). and used the same or similar recipe for home made bait, except I added too much water so I compensated by mixing in a box of expired (stale dated) pectin. They loved it, it was effective, and finally enough to solve the seasonal problem without breaking the bank.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:41 am

What a wonderful page that you have created and can call your own. You did a great job. I am one that views Yellow Jackets as a foe. I am allergic to them. They are a pest because they just love me. They chase me around the yard all the time. I can be in a group of people and they will single me out for their inspections. They get under my clothing and then sting me when they can't get free. Off to the hospital I must go. A pest to me for sure.
~ Patti ~

EdieJ
Reactions:

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:33 am

I HATE aphids. #1 FOE!!! We got a horrible infestation of them this year and nothing was getting rid of them. We ended up coating what was left of my poor plants with Surround. The aphids are gone and the plants are finally putting out new growth at the tops.
Thank you for putting together that website, it was very helpful! 😊
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”