Funk In The Peas

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Funk In The Peas

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:08 pm

One thing that never takes time off is funk. Early Friday evening after I picked some okra I strolled by the Red Ripper field peas. "Houston, we have a problem." There's a leaf spot I've never seen before. An internet search indicates it could be a leaf spot called Ascochyta pisi.

Top leaf surface:

Leaf underside:

Apparently it is one of three variations of Ascochyta that is common to field peas.

Wikipedia says:
"Areas where rainfall and/or high humidity occur during the growing season are most conducive to the success of Ascochyta blight.[9] When the crop canopy closes, the infection often intensifies due to the dense growth that prevents dry air from entering the canopy. Incidentally, the disease symptoms are often most prevalent at the base of the plant initially and spread up the plant with time."

Well, the peas had 2" of standing water due to TS Sally passing through the area so I'm not surprised. And the four rows have grown so much the canopies are pretty closed. Limited air flow. Temps are now in perfect fungus range. Last night I sent the photos to our extension agent who might have to forward them to UGA for diagnosis. We'll see.

Meanwhile I will just use what fungus spray I have. Not today or today as it's misting with on and off. The next dry day. I've never had a single problem with field peas before but there's a first time for everything.

EdieJ
Reactions:

Re: Funk In The Peas

Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:48 pm

We lost our spring crop to fungus. I hated that.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”