Save or Toss Greek Basil?

Alex
Reactions:

Save or Toss Greek Basil?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:35 pm

The Greek Columnar Basil is growing in a container, sitting outside at low 40's at night. There have been lots of aphids activity which I treated with blasting water, and diluted neem oil. Does it look like Downy Mildew or Sooty Mold? Should I toss it in the trash, or remove sick leaves and try to save it?

basil1_.jpg
basil2_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Save or Toss Greek Basil?

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:57 pm

If you can't be certain it's not a disease/bug, then probably best to toss it. If it's near & dear to your heart, snip off a clean-looking top and bring it in for rooting, but if it gets infected, toss it.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:18 pm

I never have problems with diseases on my basil (though I know some places have problems, since many varieties are sold as "resistant"), but something that happens with all of my basils when it gets cold, but before frost, is black spots. The weakness may make them prone to aphids, though I have never had aphids on basils, indoors or out. Not sure what it is, but since you said that it got down into the low 40s, that might be the problem, since that's about when mine start getting the spots. They are the first plants I lose every fall. I usually take cuttings in late September, before the spots, to clone for the hydroponics.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Alex
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Thank you both. I have some clean cuttings growing indoor since Oct. I think I'll have to toss this before it spreads to my African Blue Basil. I was testing their cold tolerance as perennials.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:07 pm

I have seen the end-of-the-season spots on my monarda and mint and maybe some other stuff. I don't know if it's disease or the plant just going dormant.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”