The Dawg Patch

GoDawgs
Reactions: 997

Re: The Dawg Patch

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:23 pm

@friedgreen51 , I'm glad you had a bumper crop too! Once again, thank you for the seed. About an hour ago I finished shelling out the last of the dried pods and sorted the seeds to save the best. Right now they're doing a one or two day rest in the freezer to make sure there aren't any bug eggs that might hatch later and ruin some of them. I'll have plenty of seed for at least 2-3 years.

Speaking of insect damage in the peas, that is something that was at the lowest level in a long time this year. Very few stings on the pods or damage to the peas themselves. How about you?

friedgreen51
Reactions: 118

Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:57 pm

I had a great overall year with field peas. I always plant mine late June to early July and that really seems to help with the insect damage. My insect damage was minimal on all my peas (September vining, Mississippi Silver and Purple Hulls).

GoDawgs

Play Misty For Me

Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:26 am

Robins! There was a big flock of robins in the yard yesterday, bobbing around in the mist. That's the first time I've seen them in a good while. Pickles vacuumed up leaves with the mower the day before and the robins seemed to be congregating in those areas both out front and in the back. Maybe the mower stirred up bugs for them.

The second leaf pile has been started. More good mulch for spring and it's free!

This is the really old picnic table in the garden that I use for mixing fire ant soap in jugs, washing off veggie pickings, and a ton of other stuff. This table has been there for years and I wouldn't doubt that most of the top boards are hollow from all the carpenter bees and ants working on it. Although the treated wood lasted a long time, the table is literally on its last legs. Any day I expect to find it collapsed.

I'm going to replace it using stacked concrete blocks for the ends and some treated 2x10's laid across the top. Easy to do and it will last until my garden days are done.

Got 4/10" rain last night. It's been misting heavily on and off today and rain is forecasted for the next several days. It's perfect for planting and the moon is right so this morning I put out more radish seed and got the six kohlrabi transplants into the ground. Time to start six more for setting out mid December. I've never planted any cole crops that late but with La Niña going on it will possibly be a more moderate winter so why not? We'll see.

GoDawgs

Play Misty For Me

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:22 am

Gardening has been reduced to a series of small putters but there is a little progress here and there.

This past Wednesday I planted out the six kohlrabi plants and started more radishes. There’s another broccoli head that will be ready this week and the first cabbage almost ready.

H\The non-fall planted half of the garden has taken on that winter empty look.

The last garlic variety, Lorz Italian, has finally come up. And speaking of garlic, yesterday I sliced and dehydrated the last of last year's garlic that didn't get planted. It wasn't going to be enough but Sam's had 2 lb bags of nice garlic bulbs on sale for 5.98 so I bought a bag and sliced up and dehydrated five bulbs of that. Those will get whizzed into powder today and will last a good while.

Thoughts are turning to spring. I did a germination test on ten 2017 Silver Queen corn seeds that have been in the freezer. 9 of 10 germinated after four days of the wet paper towel method. I’ll use those seeds this spring and replace them with fresh. And speaking of seeds, it's time to do a seed inventory and see where that stands. The new seed catalogs will start arriving right about after Thanksgiving but the only thing I'll be looking for is maybe a new toy to plant.

With more lock downs possibly on the horizon and maybe generating another run on seed, I think it will be prudent to have seed needs covered early. I'm still wondering how many people who, panicked by food shortages, ventured into the world of gardening for the first time this year and will repeat the exercise next year!

goodloe
Reactions: 54

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:46 pm

Good observation. With this new surge in covid cases, and the resulting state crackdowns, I think we can fully expect seed shortages heading into next year. Stay safe!!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 183

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:53 pm

Too true, I have many friends who ventured into "growing their own" this year. Made me feel quite the expert compared to them but in reality I know how much I have to learn. I think some of my friends were still at the ball catching phase let alone the throw and swing the bat. However, they all loved it, and you know, if this gives people an appreciation of what goes into the production of good and tasteful wholesome food as opposed to struggling to pull off the cellophane wrap then all the better.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

GoDawgs

Nothing frozen or even nipped

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:07 am

As expected, everything looked fine in the garden after a few mornings of 33-35 and with temps moderating I took the cover off the carrot two days agos. Good news! There's a cauliflower button starting on each of the two oldest plants.

Last week I cut the kale and this week it was time for the collards to get their haircut before the leaves got tough. I now only plant two collard and two kale plants. They grow back so fast after cutting that two plants makes a gracious plenty of greens for two people.

The collard plants are in front and the two already-cut kales to the left. On the other side of the bed are some of the cauliflowers.

The cabbages are coming along too. That one Stonehead cabbage on the end is ready to go. I already cut a small Early Golden Acre cabbage just a few days ago so the Stonehead will wait until next week. Those are broccoli plants on the other side of the bed. So far that staggered planting has worked well. No avalanche of broccoli all at once!

GoDawgs

Fruits Of The Labor

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:12 pm

We’re now getting later things from the fall garden. The other day I got three firsts; one kohlrabi, three turnips and some carrots.

Today I cut the first Stonehead cabbage which has been ready the last week or so. It weighed a bit over 3 lbs. Along with that were the last radishes of the first sowing and the third Packman broccoli head. Yep, that succession planting is working nicely with the broccoli so that we’re not getting tired of broccoli.

Then there are the herbs on the front porch. In the back row, a windowbox of parsley, pot of chives, scallions, windowbox of arugula and pot of basil. In the front, two mints, a pot of parsley, thyme, Greek oregano and a Jochelos micro tomato. Some of that stuff will have to come inside for a couple of days next week.

Thoughts are turning towards the spring garden although I must admit I am really enjoying the laid back cruise control that the fall garden is in right now. January’s prep for spring pea and brassica planting in February isn’t far away so I’ll take advantage of easy time while I have it. ;)

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 183

Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Could have done with that delicious lot as i am currently cooking dinner ! Some good looking veg there!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Grow Logs (Glogs)”