pepperhead212's 2021 garden

Amateurinawe
Reactions: 752

Re: pepperhead212's 2021 garden

Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm

@pepperhead212 Its started out as an odd year, we've had terrible cold and dry weather for april. May has started out windy...who knows what is next.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

pepperhead212
Reactions: 910

Fri May 07, 2021 2:51 pm

Two more tomatoes planted today - the Wee Tang Shebang gold cherries. In 6 days the stalks got much thicker, and ready to plant. Still 5 left, though I might not plant all of them - some just are not growing fast, so I may replace those with some of the stronger varieties, that I have extras of.

Still too cool for peppers and eggplants, though the covered peppers are staying safe, and actually growing! The rest have to wait a while longer.
Woodbury, NJ zone 6B-7

pepperhead212

Sat May 08, 2021 4:54 pm

I have a tomato flowering already! All cherries/grapes, of course, but the only open one is not the 42 day, but the Kustengold, which is also the fastest growing, even with these cool nights. It had no blossoms started in the pots - only two of the 42 days had some of those, which I pulled from one, to see if it would make a difference. Now, both look about the same size, and about the same number of buds on the one I cleaned them from. The Kustengold started budding about 3 days ago, and one is open now! After seeing how fast it grew, I planted the other "extra" I had, instead of one of those slowpokes I have. Another that is growing well - very dark green, and a few flower buds, as well - is the Cherry Brownie I planted. I think I have 2 extras of those. Nothing visible on the Sunsugars (my usual first ripe ones), and they aren't growing as fast as those others. The tomatillos started out really fast, but these others have taken off!
ImageKustengold Grape tomato, one of the largest in a week of cool weather, 5-7. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageKustengold - first open blossom, 5-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image42 day tomatoes, 5-8, both of which have a number blossoms formed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I stuck a thermometer in one of those covered pepper SIPs, just to see how cold it's getting at nights, and during the day, as well. The low last night was 49º outside here, but the low on that thermometer was only 57º, so that was good! And right now it is 81º inside there, and only 66º outside. I see a lot of new growth on them, so they must be doing ok.
Woodbury, NJ zone 6B-7

pepperhead212

Sun May 09, 2021 6:54 pm

I planted 2 more tomatoes today - a Boxcar Willie (planted this years ago, and got it as a freebie this year), that has a very thick stalk, and dark leaves, and another Cherry Brownie, that I put in the spot next to the first one, that I originally had for a second Wow! Sungold, but that one just isn't growing nearly as well, either the one outside (the better of the two), or the second one, in the seed room. Plus, I have only one more chocolate variety, while I have 5 gold varieties of cherry/grape (and two of the rest planted), so I planted another cherry brownie, since it's one of the strongest looking varieties, inside and out.

Only down in the 50s tonight, then the mid 40s two more nights, then it will start going up. Maybe next weekend for the eggplants and peppers.
Woodbury, NJ zone 6B-7

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”