Kathy's garden 2020

KathyDC
Reactions:

Re: Kathy's garden 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

Tasting and typing notes from the weekend:
Plant 7: Large red cherry/saladette: Great flavor.
Plant 5: Normal sized black cherry: Good flavor, not as good as 7. Milder, less tangy.
Plant 4: Small (3oz) deeply ribbed red, some saladette orbs. Good flavor, tangy.
Plant 2: Black w/ dk green shoulders, some cherries, some irregular flattened lobed smalls, vigorous. Tart good flavor, firm flesh.
Last edited by KathyDC on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:54 pm

A small ribbed tomato (about 3 oz) was ripe enough that I cut it up and enjoyed it today. My first tomato to fully ripen that wasn't a cherry. This is from plant 4. Taste was good, tangy.

It isn't quite cherry sized, but it's small and deeply ribbed, very cute and I may well consider this my ultimate goal for this cross and move forward with saving from these little guys.
61757309298__E49E897D-BDB8-4D66-9F80-B1EDA9C0C0CB.JPG
61774353267__8EDEA524-858F-4757-BB7F-EFBA6561EDFA.JPG
IMG_9685.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Well we had a real drenching overnight -- my granddad would have called it a "gully-washer." Everything is still drenched this morning, enough that some branches are hanging over and I even had one cage collapse. (These are new cages I'm trialing this year and on the whole I don't like them.)

So I see a spray in my near future! Tonight, probably, if things have dried off enough. I am trying a new spray method at the recommendation of cwavec from TV. He recommends a "sticker-spreader" to boost the efficacy of copper spray, combined with an immune booster like Serenade or Revitalize. He is spraying copper with the "sticker-spreader" in the mornings, then in the evenings with Serenade/Revitalize, and says he's had virtually no disease stress in his PA garden. Well I am curious and going to give it a shot. I had never heard of a "sticker-spreader" but it appears to be an adjuvant/surfactant that boosts the efficacy of other anti-fungal sprays. Here is the one I am using: Bonide's "Turbo" (https://www.bonide.com/products/applica ... eader-conc)

I finished my morning coffee and went out to assess the damage. Tied up a few branches that were precipitously leaning from the water weight, and managed to fix the cage. It had toppled over so I just pulled it back up onto its bottom poles; I'm glad it wasn't collapsed because that would have been a real chore to piece back together. The plant itself had a bent main stem but I don't think it broke, we'll see though. That's my volunteer with the long pointed fruit. It's been doing really well the last two weeks -- a survivor!

Picked a bunch of blushing tomatoes. That part was a joy as always.
IMG_9767 (1).JPG
Unfortunately I think the two plants that have been worst-impacted by fungal issues will probably end up being lost causes. I've had to defoliate all but about 25% of the greenery and am at this point just hoping they'll hang on long enough for the hanging fruit to ripen. It's one of my Grosse Cotelee plants, and Perfect Storm.

Speaking of Perfect Storm -- so far I've only had two of the fruit and they were very small so possibly not good representations, but I didn't care for the taste. They were sour. I like tangy and even tart, but these were actually sour. We'll see what the other fruit tastes like, I have two ripening on my counter now and will make sure they get good and ripe before I eat them. [mention]Shule[/mention] perhaps you would like them? I think I remember that you like sour tomatoes.

Oh, and I am tardy with the tracking on this, but Malinovaya Zebra has FINALLY set fruit - as of last week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 pm

[mention]KathyDC[/mention] It doesn't make sense to spray copper on something in the morning, then Serenade in the evening - the copper will kill a biological spray, like Serenade, as copper will kill bacteria, as well as fungus. The spreader/sticker is a good idea to use with most things - ThermX 70 is an organic spreader/sticker I use - only 1/2 tsp needed per gallon.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

KathyDC
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:03 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 pm @KathyDC It doesn't make sense to spray copper on something in the morning, then Serenade in the evening - the copper will kill a biological spray, like Serenade, as copper will kill bacteria, as well as fungus. The spreader/sticker is a good idea to use with most things - ThermX 70 is an organic spreader/sticker I use - only 1/2 tsp needed per gallon.
Well, I sure don't know, but his results are pretty amazing, so I figure it can't hurt!

I am not much of a morning person though, so I will more likely do a 24-hr break, meaning, first spray dusk, next spray dusk the next day. Maybe that would be enough time?

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 pm

[mention]KathyDC[/mention]

Just to be sure we're on the same page, what do you mean by sour? Some people use that word in ways I don't, and I probably use it in ways they don't. For instance, some people call bitter things sour, but I don't. I would say acidic and sour mean the same thing (containing a fair amount of acid you can taste), but tart is a more refined kind of acidic that more people can appreciate.

Do you mean sour, like buttermilk? I had a tomato that tasted sour like that once! (Every fruit; it wasn't going bad; that was just the flavor. The year before it tasted closer to vanilla candy. I don't know what happened, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't cross-pollinated.)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Shule wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 pm @KathyDC

Just to be sure we're on the same page, what do you mean by sour? Some people use that word in ways I don't, and I probably use it in ways they don't. For instance, some people call bitter things sour, but I don't. I would say acidic and sour mean the same thing (containing a fair amount of acid you can taste), but tart is a more refined kind of acidic that more people can appreciate.

Do you mean sour, like buttermilk? I had a tomato that tasted sour like that once! (Every fruit; it wasn't going bad; that was just the flavor. The year before it tasted closer to vanilla candy. I don't know what happened, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't cross-pollinated.)
Yes I think sour like buttermilk is a fair enough assessment. However, I've since had another fruit that appeared to me to be more normal-sized (the first fruit from that plant to mature, which is what tasted sour to me) and it didn't have that same sour taste, in fact it was a little bland. I have picked a few more now that look very true to type and will see how those are.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Lots to report! This past weekend I started cwavec's two-step spraying process, but unfortunately mother nature had other plans. That is, dusk spray copper + sticker-spreader, then the next evening spray Revitalize (or Serenade, but I am using Revitalize). I got both sprays done, but not 10 minutes after I came inside after the second night's spray, a summer thunderstorm blew through for 10 minutes of intense rain that I'm sure washed it all off. Ugh!

And to make matters worse, the wind knocked over the cage for my volunteer AGAIN! Twice in one day, ugh. I really don't like these cages, and don't think I'll use them again. Maybe I'll make them into a trellis for something else. I've been toying with the idea of leaning a trellis against my fence and letting beans grow up it, it might work for that since it doesn't have to stand up on its own that way.

Supposed to rain this afternoon and 100% for tomorrow, so I spent a good bit of this morning reinforcing cages, tying things up etc., hoping to avoid a repeat.

Unfortunately I had to pull one of my Grosse Cotelee plants that had gotten decimated by fungus, despite my best efforts. I had gotten all but one of the fruits off of it by the time I pulled it, so it didn't hurt too much. Unfortunately it leaned a bit and I'm now seeing yellowing lower leaves on my other Grosse Cotelee plant, I'm sure there was some cross-contimination because that's the one that came in contact with the one that I pulled. Fingers crossed for that one. The fruits look much better than the other plant, though, and I'll save seed from this one. Already picked 3 today that I'll use for seed.

After having a rough go of it, the cucumber plant that a friend gave me as a surprise is finally taking off, and I see loads of tiny cukes coming on. I love raw cucumbers and love to quick pickle them so I'm very excited about harvesting some once I get there.

61807471694__62B19859-1B9E-41D9-AFFB-A0D4AF8C667E.JPG

My Taiga fruit, the first to set, are still growing. I wonder how much longer they'll hang before they start blushing?
61807460173__F172CFE8-34E3-4673-A45D-8BDA8AABC70C.JPG

I also transplanted a cayenne and an okra plant that a neighbor was giving away. It's very very late to be starting new plants, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. The grow bags are unusually cute, but we'll see how they actually do as grow bags. I typically use the white ones with the holes cut out, but these were all I could find on short notice.
61807424664__3F3F7157-CD23-4023-8BB2-E0E781FDF7D1.JPG

Harvesting continues! The tomatoes here have escaped the plate.
IMG_9771.jpg
IMG_9796.JPG

And, my first BLT, from a Grosse Cotelee fruit, which was my first to mature. I fancied it up a bit with a mayonnaise-lemon juice-garlic aioli. I really enjoy the size of these, they're perfect for slicing up for a single sandwich.

IMG_9797.jpg

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 pm

8/9 weekend update:

Everything looks good this weekend. My foot continues to bother me - suppose I'll go get it looked at. The last thing I want to do, but oh well.

I picked my first cucumber! It was exciting considering that the plant was a surprise, and I didn't think it was going to make it for a while there. Now it's growing and putting out fruit which is rewarding.

IMG_9889.jpg

Also, my first Taiga fruit finally started to blush, and it looks like as of today the one that set right after it will blush soon - I'll probably harvest it tomorrow and let it ripen inside. It's a beautiful tomato, and though it isn't the biggest one I've ever grown, it might be close! Weighed in at 1 pound, 2 oz.
61859049160__A9B358BC-D910-4DD6-B2D9-EA1BC36E39ED.JPG
My volunteer has also started to blush, and from all appearances it looks like it is Green Sausage, which I grew one season. I don't remember much about it, but this plant is hearty for sure. It's sort of compact and putting out LOTS of fruit despite having gotten the latest start in my garden.

61859063193__2DD4C7CD-AEB2-4E56-B826-09EB2765F15E.JPG
I was also able to save seed from about 3 Grosse Cotelee fruit, and should have plenty to share for the tribute to Carolyn.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:06 pm

866EABC7-46FE-4B99-9B03-A4AD670053D0.jpeg
Plot twist: I just checked on those volunteer fruits and they’re now showing yellow with red stripes coming up from the blossom end. Which definitely isn’t green sausage.

I grew these last year but can’t be totally sure of the variety. Maybe speckled Roman?

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Maybe Blush?
- Marsha

KathyDC
Reactions:

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 am

Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pmMaybe Blush?
Yes! That's exactly what it is. I had forgotten the name but this was it.

Wow! I am amazed you were able to ID it like that [mention]Ginger2778[/mention].

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:55 am

KathyDC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:06 am
Ginger2778 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pmMaybe Blush?
Yes! That's exactly what it is. I had forgotten the name but this was it.

Wow! I am amazed you were able to ID it like that @Ginger2778.
Me too! ☺
- Marsha

KathyDC
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Quick update. Two of my plants are looking like they're close to petering out - Perfect Storm, and one of my crosses -- just have had to trim off so many branches, it's about time to go. Just waiting for a few other fruits to ripen. I've seen modest evidence of blight issues on other plants, but so far my spraying regime seems to have arrested them. There does seem to be a correlation between how quickly it's arrested, because the same spraying regime is only slowing the deterioration of some plants that have had it for longer, whereas it seems to have halted it on the plants where the first early signs are just now showing.

I also got my first ripe Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart. It's got lots of bad cracking and seems very soft? Is that a characteristic of this plant? It's very striking, but the soft flesh + cracking doesn't wow me. Looking forward to cutting it open though and then we'll see.
IMG_9904.jpg
Harvested my third Taiga fruit - they're coming along now that the first one that took forever finally started to blush.
IMG_9903.jpg
And loads of cherries and other smaller tomatoes - today was the first day I was able to get out in the garden since Tuesday, we've just had so much rain the past few days.
IMG_9905.jpg

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:38 am

Well, everything is still plugging along. I'll probably yank my Perfect Storm plant today - it's just about defoliated anyway and I could use the stake to reinforce my cucumber, which is about to topple over with that terrible new modular cage I'm trying out this year. Won't use those again, at least not in that way. Maybe it would make a decent trellis for beans...

First big slicer of the season, the Taiga that I picked to ripen. Really meaty and good, almost a fruity flavor.

IMG_9906.jpg
IMG_9907.jpg

My okra plant is definitely putting on new growth, just a matter of whether it'll actually produce any okra before the season's over. I've never grown any okra plants, so I have no idea what to expect... are these leaves, or okras?

61929415668__A1CE0783-682B-4FD1-8F2D-BB29383CE775.JPG

And two more cucumbers. I don't know why this in particular tickles me so much, but it does. Also, I had no idea that they have those spiky things!

61929274717__0CC3E272-D8CD-4DC8-B5E2-FE4A54C13727.JPG

KathyDC
Reactions:

Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Finally back from a roughly weeklong road trip. I had a friend water everything for me, and I was really anxious to get back to my garden to make sure it was all right. One plant, my volunteer (which I now know is Blush!), had pretty good fungus yellowing, and a few stems had flopped over, but otherwise things look ok. The production is crazy, this is a picture of everything picked while I was gone for about a week, plus what I picked once I got back -- and that's not including a few pounds of cherries that I told my friend to keep for her trouble.
IMG_9958.jpg
That includes this very funny, sort of long and thin Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart:

62017389281__8CCFD83A-A3C6-47BE-A3E4-E1761E1E1501.JPG
62017390303__C3C74245-4EC7-4390-9BB3-AD7602D3D8F6.JPG

This afternoon and tomorrow will be the first significant time I'll have to spend in the garden since before I left and I'm looking forward to soaking up all the sun I can get.

Oh! And really great news, yesterday I picked my first blushing Malinovaya Zebra, so I'm happy to say I will have some seed to share of that for the Carolyn tribute. It looks like I may be able to pick another one today, too. Pics coming when they ripen.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Ugh! I looked out in the yard yesterday morning and saw one of my plants toppled over, and a bunch of foliage in behind it. Turns out, a giant knot and a bunch of branches fell off the dead tree in my neighbor's yard that backs up to mine, and pushed one of my plants over in the back corner of the yard. It doesn't look to have done too much damage, I lost maybe 10-15 cherries. Sure made me mad, but I am relieved that it wasn't any worse.

Also, finally got my foot looked at and the doc thinks it's a fracture. So I'm not supposed to be bearing weight, and am in a rigid splint. My other half promised to do my garden bidding as I supervise out the back door, a very sweet offer. Last night was the first trial run, and it was fine, though I hyperventilated a bit at all the hose-swinging that happened around the leaves. (Thankfully the leaf-wetting was minimal.) Mostly I'm discovering that I am not a patient woman. Yesterday the weather was gorgeous and I was itching to get out back.

I'll comfort myself with this bounty, which I'm going to turn into sauce today (the cucumbers I'm going to quick pickle):
IMG_9967.jpg

KathyDC
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:02 am

Malinovaya Zebra is finally ripe. I have three medium-sized tomatoes I'll collect seed from, for the Carolyn tribute. Hopefully I'll get one to actually taste before the season is done!

(The saladette size are Karma Purple, BTW.)
IMG_9991 (1).jpg

bower
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:00 pm

NIce to see the garden bounty. Sorry about your foot though!
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks Bower! Yeah, I saw the podiatrist today and it's a gigantic boot for me. But, that's better than a cast! The worst part of the whole thing is trying to keep myself out of the garden, while really wanting to do it anyway.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”