Kathy's garden 2020

KathyDC
Reactions:

Kathy's garden 2020

Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:17 am

Growing:

7 plants F4 from a cross between Zapotec and Black Cherry, selecting for a ribbed cherry or saladette
Karma Purple
Taiga x2
Grosse Cotelee x2
Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart
Perfect Storm
Malinovaya Zebra
3 volunteers

Happy garden so far. All put in the ground between the beginning of May and memorial day weekend. As of 6/13, the first to flower was one of my crosses; about half of my plants have closed buds in addition. Saw some spider mites and a few aphids; sprayed again with soap. Transplanted two volunteers into a grow bag.

6/13:

Taiga flopping
IMG_9215.jpg
Biggest plant so far: Grosse Cotelee
IMG_9220.jpg
First flower to open: Cross
IMG_9219.jpg
Teeny buds on another cross
IMG_9217.jpg
My one non-tomato plant: Cucumber, a gift from a friend. Hope I don't kill it, but it looks happy so far.
IMG_9213.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Kathy's garden 2020

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:09 pm

They look great so far. You are off to a good start.
~ Patti ~

MsCowpea
Reactions:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Must be exciting to see your own crosses.
"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:36 am

Can't wait to see your Zapotec-BC F4's :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

KathyDC
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:21 am

To be fair, I didn't do the cross myself -- I'm not that advanced! I got a bee in my bonnet about wanting to grow out a ribbed cherry/saladette but I really couldn't find much and so a grower took pity on me and sent me a cross he had made to grow out myself and see what happened. Tomato people, so nice!

From the F3 I got two plants with irregular small ribbed tomatoes and then a lot of plants with either red or black cherries. I saved seed from the irregular lobed plants and the best-tasting, most vigorous of the cherries and am growing several plants of both out again this year. Excited to see what happens...

Here's the irregular F3 fruit:
cross5-ribbed.jpg
And the tasty, productive F3 cherry:
cross1-cherry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Nice! You got ribs there. :)
Black Cherry is a great parent for taste... tasty traits seem to be passed on more often than not.
Will be fun to see what shapes you get this season.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm

[mention]KathyDC[/mention]

Wow. Your floppy Taiga and my floppy Taiga have a considerably different kind of floppiness! Mine has a lot more twists and turns.

You would probably love Ovita if you're looking for a cherry/saladette tomato with ribs. It looks like a mini Zapotec, but the taste is way, way different. It's one of the most amazing tomatoes I've ever tasted. Let me know if you'd like some seeds.

This is my second year growing it. I hope it tastes great this year, too! I had it in a container in 2016 (and every fruit consistently tasted great). This year I have two plants in the ground, with black plastic (one from seeds I saved and the other from the original packet, just in case I got a cross, and to get more fruit). My fruits weren't hollow or dry; so, I kind of wonder if they were an accidental cross. This year should reveal more information.

Your cross sounds pretty cool. I have yet to taste Black Cherry (but I'm growing it and Austin's Black Cherry, this year).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

KathyDC
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:08 am

Shule wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 pm @KathyDC

Wow. Your floppy Taiga and my floppy Taiga have a considerably different kind of floppiness! Mine has a lot more twists and turns.

You would probably love Ovita if you're looking for a cherry/saladette tomato with ribs. It looks like a mini Zapotec, but the taste is way, way different. It's one of the most amazing tomatoes I've ever tasted. Let me know if you'd like some seeds.
Ha! Well, my plants are still pretty small so maybe I have some twisting and turning coming, too? I'll see how the plant develops, but it makes me smile every time I see those big leaves flopping (especially now that I know that's just the way it grows and not something I've done to the plant). Can you post or point me to a pic of yours [mention]Shule[/mention]?

The Ovita is adorable! I'd love some seeds if you can part with some. Happy to share any of my crossed plants that are tasty or interesting, once it comes time to save from this harvest.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:42 pm

[mention]KathyDC[/mention]

Awesome. I'll PM you about Ovita. :)

Mine is a small plant, too. It's possible yours is just healthier or has a more ideal climate with less temperature fluctuation or some such (but RL wispy plants generally have twists and turns for me, too; this is the first PL wispy plant I've grown). We've had an unusual number of nights in the 40's, and we've had days up to 103° F. at the most not too far from then. :)

Nevertheless, my plant is growing, and flowering. It's not stunted. So, that's a good sign. It was small at transplant time; so, that might be why it's not very big, yet.

Here's what it looked like on 27 may 2020.

Here's my Taiga plant, today:
IMG_20200618_163309.jpg
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

KathyDC
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Ah! Yes you're right, it's different. That being said, I just went out back tonight and a couple of my leaves are turning a little like that. It's slowly getting hotter here -- we definitely have not hit the 100s yet -- but maybe that's it? Heat?

We're in the middle of a rainy stretch now. It hasn't gotten over 80 so far, but is supposed to tomorrow -- had a break from the rain tonight 6/18 and managed to spray with Revitalize again. Everything looks healthy so far.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:45 am

Time for another update, in the past week and a half virtually everything has put on significant growth and looking very healthy, with one exception! Also as of 6/23 got the first fruit set, one of my crossed plants, which I had saved from a tasty red cherry. Not surprisingly, it was the first to flower, too.

Here's the fruit, and another flowering truss. Do those look like cherry trusses to you?:

Plant 5:
IMG_9313.jpg
61463310922__23B97EBB-F7FA-4E8E-8190-19648EE6C6B2.JPG
All but the shrimpiest 3-4 plants that I planted later than the others are now flowering. The volunteers I put in a grow bag are going bonkers, and after an initial growth spurt my cucumber seems to have slowed. Again, I hope I don't kill it. :D

I'm growing curious about what kinds of fruit my crosses will set. Other than Plant 5 above, here are a few other flower pictures if anyone wants to take a guess!

Plant 3, as plant 5 (saved from a red cherry):

61463367020__6C507B95-CD36-4175-A526-9D5C08B3D356.JPG
Plant 2, saved from a ribbed black irregular saladette: These are looking very cherryish to me.

61463371442__564FCF6B-4A98-420D-B954-9C173C445DA8.JPG
And now for the sour note, my Taiga is showing some downward leaf curl at the edges. It's not super pronounced, but still visible. It only seems to be affecting a few of the leaves, and none of my other plants are showing anything similar. Any ideas? We've had a string of rainy humid days, but typically hasn't gotten over 80-85 so the worst has yet to hit here. I don't see any evidence of bugs, in fact the aphids and mites don't seem to like Taiga much. Otherwise the plant looks green and healthy so I'm a bit stumped. I'm going to up my fungus spraying to something stronger once dusk hits tonight.

Otherwise things are clipping along!
IMG_9319.jpg
IMG_9320.jpg
IMG_9321.jpg

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 am

I actually think that looks pretty normal for Taiga. I do not see fungus at all. What is your fungicide? Copper can cause leaf curl if not used at the weakest recommended dose. Its really strong stuff, and does get inside leafs.(More is definitely not better when folks use copper, but I don't know what your fungicide is)
- Marsha

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

I'm using Bonide Revitalize, it's an organic fungus/blight preventative -- the active ingredient is Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain D747.

I actually do have some copper but haven't sprayed that this season, yet. Suggestions on when or how to incorporate? I basically have a series of escalating options, including copper and Daconil, because the fungus demons always end up finding me. It's just a matter of time.

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 am

When I earlier said a stronger option, I meant the diluted bleach spray from (whispers) the other place. It's good about only killing fungus-affected parts and leaving healthy ones intact. So if it's just a false alarm/overcautious it shouldn't harm anything.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 am

KathyDC wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 am When I earlier said a stronger option, I meant the diluted bleach spray from (whispers) the other place. It's good about only killing fungus-affected parts and leaving healthy ones intact. So if it's just a false alarm/overcautious it shouldn't harm anything.
I've done it before, all I can say is, be CAREFUL. I am positive I mixed it at the right proportions of bleach to water, double checked the math, and it destroyed my whole garden. I only tried that once never again.
The copper is much safer. Daconil is for prevention only and can't be mixed with anything, and copper does the job perfectly, and can be mixed with BT, which I need for heavy caterpillar pressure here in bug cental.
Is Whispers the same person as B54red? He was the original proponent of bleach spray.
My go to is copper fungicide at the weakest recommended strength mixed in a 2 gallon sprayer, I use 1 Tablespoon per gallon.(so 2) When the tank is filled so its at maximum dilution, I then add a single Tablespoon of BT, and a little squeeze of dish soap to act as a spreader, but the soap also kills aphids or whiteflies if present. I spray above and below the leaf and down the stem to the soil line. I do this every 10 days, but also after a heavy rain.
- Marsha

KathyDC
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 am
KathyDC wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:32 am When I earlier said a stronger option, I meant the diluted bleach spray from (whispers) the other place. It's good about only killing fungus-affected parts and leaving healthy ones intact. So if it's just a false alarm/overcautious it shouldn't harm anything.
I've done it before, all I can say is, be CAREFUL. I am positive I mixed it at the right proportions of bleach to water, double checked the math, and it destroyed my whole garden. I only tried that once never again.
The copper is much safer. Daconil is for prevention only and can't be mixed with anything, and copper does the job perfectly, and can be mixed with BT, which I need for heavy caterpillar pressure here in bug cental.
Is Whispers the same person as B54red? He was the original proponent of bleach spray.
My go to is copper fungicide at the weakest recommended strength mixed in a 2 gallon sprayer, I use 1 Tablespoon per gallon.(so 2) When the tank is filled so its at maximum dilution, I then add a single Tablespoon of BT, and a little squeeze of dish soap to act as a spreader, but the soap also kills aphids or whiteflies if present. I spray above and below the leaf and down the stem to the soil line. I do this every 10 days, but also after a heavy rain.
Yes! b54red is him. The whispers was me attempting to be cute, as in I was whispering the name of the other forum :D I have used it before and never had any real issues, it's behaved for me as expected. But I will be careful!

I'm glad to know it's OK to mix soap with copper, because I've been having to spray for aphids about every week -- I also am using soap spray for aphids and mites for the first time this year. (Usually I count on ladybugs.) But keeping soap spray plus a fungicide in rotation means multiple trips per week out at dusk, which isn't always easy with my schedule. I never even thought to mix! Super glad for this tip. Now I can kill two birds with one stone next time I spray, which will likely be tonight.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:08 pm

LOL Kathy. There is no need for your whispers concerning Tomatoville. You are even welcome to link threads from there to here without any repercussions. It is Tomatoville that has us blacked out. The word 'junction' is on their list of words that are blocked from use on their site. There are many of us that have dual memberships as well as belonging to other sites and we just don't see this as a problem.
~ Patti ~

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:35 pm

I just heard from someone else via pm, he said he'd never do the bleach spray again either.
- Marsha

KathyDC
Reactions:

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:51 pm

6/28 weekend update: 3 plants now setting fruit, and a tomato emergency delivery

Everything looking healthy! Another fruit set: Plant 7, another of my red cherry crosses. In a week, it's not only set fruit but also grown bigger than its cousin, also a red cherry cross, which was the first to set fruit this year. And, one of my Grosse Cotelee plants has also set fruit. It's starting to look like summer around here!

Here they are for comparison:

Plant 5:
61505555994__67EF3F3C-869C-4ED1-97A1-19D315099369.JPG
Plant 7:
IMG_9343.jpg
Grosse Cotelee:
IMG_9345.jpg
Also, my Taiga plant is still showing that bit of leaf curl but it hasn't gotten any worse, so I'm about to conclude that it's just the way the plant is growing in my climate as Patti suggested above. Here are some pics from today:
IMG_9347.jpg
IMG_9348.jpg
I also had a friend text me yesterday that they were pulling their tomato plants, and did I have any "extras?" This is their first year with a plot in a community garden and they're excited and learning. Unfortunately two of their tomatoes I think really needed some afternoon shade (no shade at all in their plot) and they couldn't find shade cloth in time. So they bit the dust. Anyway, I had 6-7 volunteers this year, of which I saved the heartiest 4. Two of them I stuck in a grow bag, so I just brought them the bag with two plants in it yesterday.

Tomato emergency delivery!
61496737453__FAEDCE1D-73BB-4EF7-8623-C6C2D50711E5.JPG

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 am

Kathy, your conclusion about Taiga's leafs is correct. It had a wispy leafed heart(Ludmilla's pink heart) as a parent, and Captain Lucky with it's potato leafs as the other parent. [mention]KarenO[/mention] selected for PL hearts, so you got a heart tomato with droopy but healthy PLs as the result. All her True North series hearts have droopy PL foliage, it's normal for them. I think you will be quite happy with the fruit.
- Marsha

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”