The Garden of Woz...

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:50 am

Wow, all looking great. No vampires on you!
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

bower
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 am

I do grow Music as well Whwoz, but ours don't break ground until the spring. You did quite well with them! I noticed when I tried growing out some garlic in my greenhouse that they did flop over and lay leaves on the ground. I wonder if they find your winter warm, or if it's daylength related.

I've been growing Spanish Roja here too, but this is my last year for them as they really suffered for two cold summers past and are now smaller than I would like to plant. It is a delicious garlic when raw though (loses its flavor if over cooked) and I just love the aroma when they're freshly pulled from the ground and curing. I noticed that the creole I got from Svalli also has a very enticing smell. Let us know how you like the flavors on your lovely collection.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:33 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention] will do re flavours. I can still remember the delicious after taste of Volcanite and Dynamite from when I ate a small piece of each at Meeniyan earlier in the year. Once one got over the initial heat burst the after-taste lasted in the mouth for about one hour.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:35 am

Garleek Flavours or the Elephant/Russian or what ever you want to call it.

Two varieties of this, one from Ashgrove Cheesery in Tasmania and a clone picked up from the Meeniyan Garlic Festival last year Johnson Creek Giant garlic. Have tried both of these roasted, the Ashgrove one was delicious, the other will not be going back into the oven. Some weird aftertaste, hard to describe but definitely not worth roasting. Will try them raw and see how they go, but at this stage the JC will be kept only because of its size. Looking at trying to gather a collection of these to breed.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 am

Australian lilies. We do have a few native lilies, with the local ones tending to be small flowered, but floriferous. Two that I have are the Bulbine lily, a small flowered yellow
Bulbine lily.jpg
and the Vanilla lily, which smells like the Vanilla derived for commercial use from the Vanilla Orchids.
Vanilla Lily.jpg
Vanilla lily 2.jpg
Not the greatest of flowers, as I took the shots while cleaning up the bed, have an old pillow case of Vanilla lily stems hanging in the shed now for seed collection purposes.

I must get hold of the chocolate lily...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:39 am

What I am growing more in line for sauce/bottling as far as tomatoes are
Costuloto Genovese 'Brokenbar'.jpg
Costuloto Genovese 'Brokenbar' 2.jpg
First year trying this, very happy with it so far in what is not a good season for tomatoes here in the Garden of Woz due to the cool mild summer(?) we are having

Along with
Duncans Dutch Pear.jpg
Duncans Dutch Pear 2.jpg
These are also doing well, happy enough with the taste of these to Snack on them as well. may plant 20 or so next season as my main Red/Pink

Plus
Franchi Giant Pear.jpg
Franchi Giant Pear 2.jpg
These are a little bit behind the others in terms of ripening, but not too badly.

Red Pear Granissimo is yet to ripen, but very similar to the last two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:56 am

Some of the Cherry tomatoes
Blondkopfchen.jpg
Blondkopfchen 2.jpg
Camera lens cap visible in some photos is 67 mm diameter
Blueberries.jpg
Cape Teaser.jpg
Cape Teaser 2.jpg
Not sure what is going on with Cape Teaser, two separate plants, one with fruit about half the size of the other, about half size in other atributes as well, leaves, overall size etc.
Honey Drop.jpg
june Bug F3 -2.jpg
june Bug F3.jpg
From the offer on TV a couple of years ago of F2 seed, not sure yet which way I will follow up
Lemon Drop.jpg
Pertsevidnyy.jpg
From [mention]Rajun Gardener[/mention], large grape size Roma is probably the best way to describe it. Not to bad in taste so far
Small Egg.jpg
Spoon.jpg
UBX Ambrosia Orange.jpg
Volvos Apple Cherry.jpg
Volvos Apple Cherry 2.jpg
From member [mention]Volvo[/mention] in South East Queensland, looks like it could produce 15 to 20 fruit per raceme with a bit more stable warm weather. Thick walled, fleshy and chewy but not in a bad way. Will grow again

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:00 am

The last of the cherries to ripen so far are
White Cherry.jpg
White Grape.jpg
Seed from this was from a commercial white grape style tomato sold at times in mixed cherry clamshells locally. Better taste than others in the packs but much better taste when grown on. Not a lot of variation in the seven or eight plants that I planted.
and
Zuckerstraube.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:04 am

A couple of Saladettes that have ripened are
Kodiak Brown.jpg
Little Flame.jpg
Breed by an amateur breeder/retired Botany lecturer to be a Dwarf version of Jaune Flamme, cross between JF and Dwarf Mr Snow. Colour not intense as JF, but definately a keeper

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 am

And some larger ones to finish off with
Black Beauty.jpg
New Berlin Gold.jpg
Pervaya Lyubov.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:11 am

Stick Insects, as mentioned earlier we recently received 4, only for one to find a hole in the cage, going AWOL. So down to three who are growing well
Sticklet Male.jpg
Sticklet Male 2.jpg
From what I understand, we will receive a female shortly and she and one of the males will go to the primary school where the Daughter goes, while we will receive a further female to go with our remaining two males. These eat their old skins after moulting. Wing case is very evident in top photo indicating male, females cannot fly.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:03 am

Sunflowers,

Planted some sunflower seed in an attempt to get some sprouts only the unknown variety (just grabbed a few seeds out of the jar of edible seeds) were not suitable, got left in the tray for too long before being potted up then planted out. Don't know if this induced branching or if it is a varietal characteristic. Tallest would be lucky to be 1 meter.
Sunflower.jpg
Sunflower 2.jpg
Sunflower 3.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:05 am

Potato digging time here, digging some good old Pontaic's. These off three plants, considering they went in a bit later than desirable, not too bad a yield.
Pontiac spuds.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:44 am

Kangaroos

A couple of days ago, I walked out the back of where I work to see what must of been nearly the entire mob of Kangaroos that live on this site out eating. The work supplied phone is limited in its wide angle capability, so I was not able to get all 80 in the shot.
Roos.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:48 am

At the end of last season, while up at Mum and Dads, I grabbed a few late season cucumbers thinking I would have some fresh seed from the good old Crystal Apple. Planted 4 plants at home from these and these have started to ripen. A bit of a surprise when I walked out today to pick one and saw it was yellow. The variety I picked up as actually Lemon. very nice and kids liked it by all accounts.
Lemon Cucumber.jpg

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 am

Dana's Dusky Rose.

Some where up nearer the start of his thread is some photos of a 550g DDR. I kept seed from this unbagged fruit and passed some of it onto others. They only report so far is of beefsteak fruit, which is expected. However I picked a couple a few days ago which are definitely hearts, which is unexpected. [mention]Ginger2778[/mention], I know you have grown this a few times and I was wondering if you could have a look at these photos and see if the fruit are within range of what you would expect.
DDRx 1.jpg
DDRx 2.jpg
DDRx 3.jpg
If these fruit, from seed I collected are not true, then I suspect a cross with Midnight Sun and yes, they are delicious, had this one for dinner tonight. Knife blade is 85mm long

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 am

[mention]Whwoz[/mention] I'm curious that you say the sunflowers are unsuitable. Is it that the seeds are too small? They look like edible seed sunflower types.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:23 am

Bower, I was attempting to grow them for use as sprouts, cut when about 100mm high for eating. We have done so with several other lots and quite enjoyed them, however this lot were hairy leaved, even when small and did not have a nice taste to them. Seeds in the current crop of flowers are large, I just need to work someway to hull them. If I fail to do so they will become parrot food up at the farm. The seed planted was from a packet of edible seeds.
Bower wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:42 am @Whwoz I'm curious that you say the sunflowers are unsuitable. Is it that the seeds are too small? They look like edible seed sunflower types.

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:37 am

Whwoz wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 am Dana's Dusky Rose.

Some where up nearer the start of his thread is some photos of a 550g DDR. I kept seed from this unbagged fruit and passed some of it onto others. They only report so far is of beefsteak fruit, which is expected. However I picked a couple a few days ago which are definitely hearts, which is unexpected. @Ginger2778, I know you have grown this a few times and I was wondering if you could have a look at these photos and see if the fruit are within range of what you would expect.

DDRx 1.jpg
DDRx 2.jpg
DDRx 3.jpg

If these fruit, from seed I collected are not true, then I suspect a cross with Midnight Sun and yes, they are delicious, had this one for dinner tonight. Knife blade is 85mm long
To be honest, I can't remember if any were heart shaped, but you can get fruit elongation when it's hot out. Looks, size, and taste descriptions are all accurate.
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marsha

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:02 pm

Ginger2778 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:37 am
Whwoz wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 am Dana's Dusky Rose.

Some where up nearer the start of his thread is some photos of a 550g DDR. I kept seed from this unbagged fruit and passed some of it onto others. They only report so far is of beefsteak fruit, which is expected. However I picked a couple a few days ago which are definitely hearts, which is unexpected. @Ginger2778, I know you have grown this a few times and I was wondering if you could have a look at these photos and see if the fruit are within range of what you would expect.

DDRx 1.jpg
DDRx 2.jpg
DDRx 3.jpg

To be honest, I can't remember if anywhere heart shaped, but you can get fruit elongation when it's hot out. Looks, size, and taste descriptions are all accurate.
Thank you Marsha

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”