The Garden of Woz...

bower
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks for the planting chart, Whwoz. :) The hardnecks overall have done better for us, but as you said, those which are heat loving or require a long season will only make a small bulb in a poor year. The Spanish Roja did the worst last year, and even though I picked the biggest cloves from the whole lot to plant, the sprouts are late and small. The Persian Star and Chesnok were small last year but the wierd wet winter made them produce fewer cloves, so those were actually bigger than before and I hope they'll reach a decent small size, LOL.
We plant everything at the same time here, in early-mid October. We have planted late a few times but nothing good came of it (and the weather was quite unpleasant for planting as well.) My garlic never breaks ground before winter sets in here. Mid April is usually when they're up.
I'm really excited about the varieties I'm growing up from Svalli, as certainly some of them are sizing up well and don't seem to mind either the winters or the short season. They are mostly hardnecks but there are three softnecks that are all doing quite well, and one Creole.
The creole Lautrec I planted in autumn with the others - they are up too, and looking fine. I read that they can be planted spring or fall, and they do seem to be perfectly hardy. I also read they will not produce large bulbs without plenty of sun and hot weather, but I will be happy with smaller bulbs if they are tasty and agreeable to survive what nature has to offer. :)
I've heard that the Turbans are hardy and early too, but so far we haven't tried them.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue May 12, 2020 10:30 am

[mention]Bower[/mention] The turbans are the earliest that I plant here, with the way spring and summer were for us with rotting stems I missed some of the bulbs and had them shoot in late Feb. I would consider this 3 to 4 weeks early, last year the missed cloves shot while we were in Tasmania - Middle to late March, in what I would call a more normal season. I should normally start planting around the 15th March (must remember this - plant Garlic from daughters birthday (16th) on). I see from thread on TV that I lifted garlic (only 2 Turbans grown in 2018) Mid November - some of these had side shot quite a bit, particularly Monaro Purple, which is the one I grow in larger numbers, so these should have been pulled early to mid September, mind you side shot cloves were huge, size of a mans to thumb joint, from knuckle to end. So looking at around a 6 to 7 month growth period.

Out of curiosity I checked with the TGG website to see how far south they are 43S, you would be around 48 to 53N i believe.

Creoles are hottest and probably best flavored over all, turbans milder but still nice. If you want to taste test raw garlic, have plenty of blueberries on hand, they clean the mouth beautifully between garlics and you definitely need them.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue May 12, 2020 11:29 am

"If you want to taste test raw garlic, have plenty of blueberries on hand, they clean the mouth beautifully between garlics and you definitely need them."

Always something new to learn! Thks

bower
Reactions:

Tue May 12, 2020 11:37 am

What a great taste tip! :D I'll have to get my old Mom involved, she loves both blueberries and garlic. :)

(We are 47 N 34. I just looked it up, we are further south than Paris, about the same as Nantes France, Budapest, and Zurich. So daylength is similar summer and winter, but our climate is cold, wet, windy and treacherous out in the North Atlantic. ;) )
temperate marine climate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue May 12, 2020 2:05 pm

From what I can recall from our visit to Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic (the source of that chart) last year, the "official" way used by judges to taste lots of garlic is to cut a clove in half, sniff it, rub the two halves together, smell again, scrape a small amount off with fingernail or knife and place in the middle of ones tongue and allow to taste the flavors properly. This is for award judging, where they could be tasting 100 plus garlics in a day, effectively at random as the Judges have no idea of variety being served up. Each variety is sampled 3 or 4 times, raw, roasted, sauteed and sometimes crushed in butter as if one was making garlic bread.

While at the local garlic festival earlier in the year, one of the speakers was another of the Royal show judges who ran us through the process, from looking at the whole globes to tasting, very interesting and well worth talking to. Later during a break I sampled some garlics from a grower who cut cloves up for tasting. Guess who forgot the blueberries :oops: , particularly when I tried a small piece of Dynamite and then Vulcanite, which is supposed to be the hotter of the two, hard to judge with the flavour of the previous one still in the mouth, but one the heat had gone after about a minute, the real flavour of these creoles kicked in and stayed in the mouth for about an hour, even after eating lunch.

A word of caution about tasting some of the hot garlics, start small, the judge at the garlic fest mentioned as part of his talk that he was talking to a person after the judging was completed one day when that person queried him about eating garlic raw, he just grabbed a clove of the bench, variety unknown and ate it. Next thing he was picking himself up of the floor with out being too sure about how he got down there :o . A bit like chillies, take your time getting used to the heat before eating lots.

Nico
Reactions:

Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm

IMG_20200513_184436.jpg
Whoz, some photos of the cross of 100 and white ibiza, two pure bloods of the ramallet tomatoes, as it looks different shapes and sizes, some more photos published in the thread of the garden of nico 2020.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed May 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Very nice Nico, will check out your thread for the others

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Woke up this morning to a bit of white on the deck, first frost, only lite, but they have started

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 am

From tonights weather forecast, looking like frost for the next 3 or 4 maybe even 5 days. There is that much water lying about from the rain that it should keep them light, but we are definitely going to get some. Last night was 32F here.

Dug the first 4 sweet potato plants today, I think these are Beaurgard, but maybe Evangeline, Reddish skin orange flesh. Roughly 7 lb/3.2 kg per plant, still 4 of these plus another 15-20 others to dig. Should cover most of our SP requirements for quite a while

MissS
Reactions:

Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 am

I must be at the exact opposite side of the world from you Whwoz. Yesterday I woke up to a blanket of frost and hopefully it will be our last for the season. I guess that it's your turn to watch us grow now. Thanks for sharing your gardening season with us. I really enjoyed it.
~ Patti ~

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 am

Whwoz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:33 pm Woke up this morning to a bit of white on the deck, first frost, only lite, but they have started
And so goes another gardening season into the books. Time for a bit of rest, reflection and evaluation.... before diving into a rough draft of next year's garden! I have enjoyed watching your garden grow while mine was still just a plan on paper. :D

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention] [mention]GoDawgs[/mention] while the main season has wound up here, our season changes focus to winter vegetables and bed construction and maintenance. No snow here so we keep going - new big garden to be finished, another that has been out of use to be fixed up, strawberries to be refreshed etc - the show will go on, just at a slower rate.

I look forward with interest to following what is going on over there. The spread of start times gets me a bit, but I will cope

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri May 15, 2020 4:24 am

Dug four more SP today, three orange and one Purple Skin White flesh. The Orange ones had roughly 4.5, 9 and 11 lb of roots under them. Haven't weighed the pswf yet, but four were small and three around one foot long.

By the time I am done, we will have a good stock in the shed

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 am

Whwoz wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm @MissS @GoDawgs while the main season has wound up here, our season changes focus to winter vegetables and bed construction and maintenance. No snow here so we keep going - new big garden to be finished, another that has been out of use to be fixed up, strawberries to be refreshed etc - the show will go on, just at a slower rate.
That's pretty much what goes on here in the off season. Sometime next month I will plan what fall/winter stuff to grow and do garden maintenance. And I'll also plan out a rough crop rotation for next spring, identifying what beds will be legumes, crucifers, etc.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 am

The following is a sweet potato addition to my Garden of Woz season summary. If it seems like it refers to previous comments not on here, it is because it is aimed at a small group looking at breeding Sweet Potato on the OSSI forum.

Sweet Potatos:
Orange ex Bunnnings: Beauregard is what I thought that these were, but they appear to be a bit redder than last year so they may be Evangeline, need to define the differences more in my head to be sure.
Either way the nine plants were very productive, between 2 and 5.5 kg per plant roughly. Have not weighed all the roots, but based on approx. 3 kg per plant, yield = 27kg or around 59lb. Have just spent some more time on web, it would appear that Evangline has reddish new growth, Beaugread green. If that holds true I have Evangline.

Purple Skin white Flesh ex Bunnings: These are probably Northern Star. Produced roots upto 1kg est. Best yield around 4 kg, to be checked by weighing.

Purple ex Bunnings

From Steve1
Purple: Small plant approx. 1 meter long, may well have been smothered by others around it. No roots
Okinawa: these have the same growth as the purple from Bunnings, and maybe the same variety. Growth up to 1.75m long, no roots
Red garnet: Another that may have been a bit smothered, only small plant to 1m long. Two small roots, should be enough for slips, but not for eating.
Kumera: Stems long - 3m or there abouts. Only fine stems approximately 5mm in diameter. 3 or 4 small roots, lucky to 1 kg in total.
Blackie: The ornamental variety, lots of developing buds and sign of spent flowers, but no sign of seed pods, Only 0.75m stems but long leaf petioles so still easily seen. No roots.
Wanmun: Beast of a plant. Runners 3m plus, 12 to 15 mm thick. Long roots with no real storage roots developed. Roots thickened in places.
Northern Star, White fleshed, Purple shinned roots, best to around 1 kg est. Went in later than that from the B store so not as many roots as PSWF above but otherwise similar all round.
American White: Two roots of similar size, roughly 250mm long by 50mm diameter at thickest. White Skinned, white fleshed. Tops to 2 m.
Solomon: Thin runners to 2 m, only a few very thin roots that were not worth keeping even for slips – just too thin, would shrivel up to next to nothing.
Japanese : Two types here as suspected by steve1 after earlier comments. One typical Northern Star roots, so treated as such as it was considered the likely mix up partner, the other was a white Skinned, white fleshed root to 300 mm long and 60mm thick. Stems about 2.5m long.

All of these have had at least 7 cuttings taken, with most floating on the dam. Ran out of room in float setup so a few under hard, clear cover until I can get another float set up built. The following links were some I came across while trying to sort out the B vs E situation and ay prove useful to some.
https://jhawkins54.typepad.com/files/ef ... n-nair.pdf
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcont ... reportsbut
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... _cultivars
https://simplifygardening.com/sweet-potato-slips/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... ieties.htm
Added 18/5/20

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 am

Thanks for those links! Helpful. Maybe it's my internet but the second one down wouldn't come up.

bower
Reactions:

Mon May 18, 2020 9:02 pm

Whwoz I had no idea there was that much variation in Sweet potatoes, that some don't produce any tubers if I understood correctly?
We can't grow them here at all, but I find it an interesting crop. Such good yields are reported where they do grow.
temperate marine climate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue May 19, 2020 3:13 am

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] Not your internet, some thing must have changed when I copied the link, try below, may have to copy paste into browser. Luckily I printed it outr so I could double check.

https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcont ... ms_reports

[mention]Bower[/mention] There are far more variations than what I have, that is one of the aims of my growing them - to get seed to try and open up some of the diversity that is otherwise lacking in Australian available clones. Those without storage roots were all meant to form roots, just did not for some reason, need to work out why.

Further to the SP report above, dug all the purples from Bunnings today, some nice roots under them, but all between 300 and 500mm or 12 to 20 inches away from plant stem. Lots spiked with the fork unfortunately. If I grow this one again, it will be in a pot I can tip to empty to find the roots, be much easier than trying to dig them at double fork depth.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue May 19, 2020 9:21 am

[quote=Whwoz post_id=20286 time=1589876022 user_id=94]
@GoDawgs Not your internet, some thing must have changed when I copied the link, try below, may have to copy paste into browser. Luckily I printed it outr so I could double check.
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcont ... ms_reports

Thanks for that! You know, I often find a new nugget in most things I read. This article said that Evangeline is southern rootknot nematode resistant. Wonderful! Now the trick will be finding a few for next year to grow slips from and try them side by side with the Jewel I'm currently growing.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 am

Glad to be of assistance, even if in ways unexpected [mention]GoDawgs[/mention]

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”