The Garden of Woz...

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz...

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:50 pm

One advantage of the recent Covid lockdown was the weather, might have had a few frosty starts but days were beautiful. With both myself and Mrs at home and her being a teacher, she looked after the home schooling and I got stuck into the veggie garden extension and cleaned it up a fair bit. Sort of got me back to square.
beds.jpg
beds1.jpg
Grass on left of bottom photo is still to have extra soil added to it, so will get a small excavator in to scrape the grass off and go from there.

Small polyhouse at front is where the Kang Kong is, the longer one the bell peppers and chillis.

peas are growing beautifully in bed with completed frame in it, second partial frame has now been completed the full length of its bed apart from mesh, which should go on tomorrow.

In top photo are last of the parsnip, beetroot (reddish leaves), Mandaly Kale, Carrot at end of bell pepper/ chili house with Asian greens and garlic further off to the right.

All cleaned beds have since been rotary hoed, with compost incorporated under new frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:42 am

Is that row of peas all the same kind?
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 am

PlainJane wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:42 am Is that row of peas all the same kind?
There is actually two rows of peas, one of climbers, a mix of 5 varieties of snow (Yakumo Giant, Snowie, both green, Jupiter, purple, Joni'sTaxi and Golden prodded, both yellow) and the snap pea Cascadia. The snaps are Cascadia and have germinated poorly, others must be all nearly 100 percent germination. Roughly 2 meters of each variety. The other row is all dwarf bush types, 3 X 4 Meyer lots of Sugar Ann (snap), Shiraz (purple snow) and Greenfeast, an old shelling variety.

I just realised that I have not planted any climbing shelling peas, will change that when I get the second frame wired up and the forecast rough and wet weather has passed. 3 meters of each of Lord Leicester's and Exhibition shelling pea and a replant of Cascadia plus another climbing snap will happen.

We eat a lot of peas, mainly fresh, but I will freeze surplus and add to curries, fried rice with vegetables and a couple of other similar dishes.

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:12 am

I have a snow pea that came to me in a swap labeled as "Yakoma Giant" and I could never find a word about it online - just googled for Yakumo Giant and I guess it could be the same one. Tall plant and very large tender pods but a bit late for our short season, so I never got a huge harvest from them. The pea seeds when dried are a reddish brown color.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:12 pm

Certainly sounds like the same one [mention]Bower[/mention] , I believe it has the largest pods of all snow peas.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention], Do these look like what you had?
Yakumo Giant.jpg
Instructions are of course for Oz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 pm

[mention]Whwoz[/mention] yes indeed, that's just what they're like! :) Mystery solved.
temperate marine climate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:20 pm

With the weather here being beautiful and sunny after half an inch of rain over the last few days, I checked the Kang Kong for the first time after the -3.5 Frost to find it was not happy. There is a small glasshouse in the shed that if I position correctly where I can get a small heat pad set up it should be enough to keep it going over winter.

Also checked the bell peppers and chilis , picked another 15 or so that are showing colour to some extent, this on the 28 June, way to go.
IMG_20210628_115258_148.jpg

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:58 am

And this is your off season for growing things? Wow. Very nice.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Those peppers do look delicious, you eat with your eyes...
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:06 pm

Growing Coastal wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:58 am And this is your off season for growing things? Wow. Very nice.
Yes [mention]Growing Coastal[/mention], one month into winter and we have had several frosts that would have killed the plants except for the cover that I put over them. Plants not growing much, but ripening what fruit are on them, if they survive until the end of September, which they should, they will be all set for next season.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:06 am

Back from a week travelling around Victoria, by torch light everything looking good. Have decided to try and set up a gallery thread for images of travels around Victoria rather than a different thread each time we go somewhere. Only problem is that when I got the new topic button it takes me to the last post I did in the gallery rather than set up a new thread.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:07 pm

There have been a few software glitches lately, Whwoz. I had a problem myself with sending a pm, couldn't write anything to finish the message and couldn't start a new message. If you get a 'frozen' situation like that, I think if you try doing a few different things then go back to it when all is working, it will be okay. I see your thread started so looking fwd to your travel pics! :)
temperate marine climate

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: The Garden of Woz.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am

Starting to get separate tomato and bell pepper/chilli sow lists together. Finding it interesting and a bit difficult to select from over 450 varieties of tomatoes. Will need to check out the actual seed and find the oldest to refresh. Going to plant a good number of peppers, particularly those that I kept several years ago from plants grown with the striped one called Candy Cane.

Finding that I don't have some tomatoes that I have seen here and wouldn't mind trying. Might have to upset customs. KarenO's Tundra would be great too have

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Bower wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:42 pm @Whwoz yes indeed, that's just what they're like! :) Mystery solved.
I believe you received those peas in one of N North's swaps. I sent them in. My original source was Sand Hill.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:18 pm

Light frost this morning, so took the opportunity before the wind got up to crawl into the capsicum tunnel and pick a few ripe ones. These plus two that went straight into the compost heap due to rot. Plants are a year old now, sown this weekend 12 months ago, and are starting to put out new shoots. Be about a month before I can uncover them.
DSC_1222_resized.JPG

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:53 pm

[mention]Whwoz[/mention] How long do you keep your pepper plants for?
~ Patti ~

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:26 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention] normally peppers are treated as annuals in this area as frosts are a normal occurrence around here. These ones I intend to keep for as long as they survive. They will be selected for flavour that suits us over summer and more will be planted, both to fill in holes and extend rows to full length of 14 m bed, but intention is to see how long they will survive for.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Tomato seed sowing day has arrived in the Garden of Woz, with 55 varieties sown today. List to follow. Still expecting a couple of more lots of seed to possibly arrive. A bit of room left on the heat pad so will plant some capsicum seed this afternoon.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:22 am

The List

Mr Mercury F4
Pink Cherry Cluster
Jupp
Italian Flat
UK 2000
Barnsten
KBX
Ropreco Paste
Stump of the World
Bowerbirds Orange 190g
MS
Costuloto Genovese 'Brokenbar'
Costuloto Florentine
Blueberries
42 Days
Potattomatti
Sweet Ozark Orange
Barry's Crazy Cherry
Dana's Dusky Rose
Lithium Sunset
Absinthe
German Red Strawberry
GMG
Yellow Kotlas
Rinaldo
Striped German
Orange Strawberry
Powers Heirloom
Dragons Eye
Zena's Gift
Fahrenheit Blues
Duncan's Egg
Rebal Alliance
Ruby Cherry
Bowerbirds Yellow
Worlds Largest
Garrote Bicolor Aracenes
Pervaya Lyubov
Lime Green Salad
Snowberry
Guernsey Island Pink Blush
Tangella
Russo Sicilian Toggeta
Teschchin Yazyk
Perito Italian
Zapotec Pleated
Sugary Pounder
King Humbert
Rosella Crimson
Banks Queen
Summertime Green

Capsicums or low heat chillies

Chocolate Capsicum
Big Bertha
Sweet Pickle
NuMex Big Jim
Chili Pie
Taibei
Hungarian white capsicum
Purple Beauty
Flavour Burst F2
Chocolate Beauty
Marconi Ross
Elephant Ear Capsicum
Santa Fe Grande
Leutschauer Paprika
And from self collected seed harvested from the parent plants as indicated grown as a group without pollination control, also had Candy Cane in block so possible striped fruit from random crosses.
Orange Capsicum
Chocolate Capsicum
Long Sweet Yellow
Californian Wonder

Plus some "Giant" sunflower Seeds sown.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”