Shule's 2021 garden grow log

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Shule's 2021 garden grow log

Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Today: 99/62
Tomorrow: 106/69; UVI 10
10-day: 97-106/62-70

The humidity is 8% as I write this. Wild.

I gave two ripe v21_A24 tomatoes to another taster who really liked them, especially the ripest one (the least ripe one was actually sweeter, though, interestingly).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:09 pm

I’ve never seen humidity of 8%. That sounds like the Sahara!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:17 am

Today: 106/69
Tomorrow: 106/66; UVI 10

Not much to remark ATM, but I wanted to record the weather.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:53 pm

Today: 108/73: UVI 10
Tomorrow: 102/65; UVI 10

Well, we have more ripe and/or ripening tomatoes (in addition to several more on v21_A24)! Here they are:

* 5CGI_B (looks ripe)
* Mexican Yellow (looks ripe)
* SunCitron F2 (ripening)

I'm very impressed with Mexican Yellow, with it being among the first three of the transplanted tomatoes to ripen. That's quite early. It actually is yellow; so, it's the true Mexican Yellow variety, instead of a cross; awesome! :) I'm excited to save seeds.

Several wonderberries on at least two plants were ripe, too. I gave them to a relative, who ate them.

I picked the first West India burr gherkin of the season.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:09 am

Yesterday (13 July 2021): 103/76
Today: 102/68; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 102/68; UVI 10

The following new tomatoes set fruit by yesterday:
* Garden Leader Monster
* Picnic_B0 (It's setting a number of them.)
* Terhune (I'm pretty happy about this, and the others, too.)

I noticed that the fruits on Cold Black Brandy are not pear-shaped, this year. They're more of a flattened globe to a blunt heart (or maybe blunt pear) shape (it's different for some fruits than others). I think they had some ribs, too. I'm not sure if it crossed with another PL variety in my garden or if the shape wasn't stable to begin with. Is pear-shaped dominant over the shape I just mentioned? If not, it's probably a cross from my garden--but what with? Probably a Brandy Boy cross F3, as there were at least a few by Cold Black Brandy in 2020 (they all had a beefsteak shape). Contenders further away would be Frittata Kitchen, more Brandy Boy cross F3s, and I don't know what else without looking at my notes. If it tastes significantly different than last year, or is a different color, I'm guessing it's a cross from my garden.

I've decided that my SunChocola F3 is just wispy. I thought it was struggling in the soil, maybe, for a while, but no, I think it's just wispy.

Black Bear is actually setting fruit nicely in the heat. In 2017, it didn't set fruit until it started to get colder (but it set it prolifically, and it ripened pretty quickly). I'm pretty happy about that.

So, this year, these plants are impressing me the most, atm, probably:
* Church
* v21_A24 (and some other volunteers)
* Black Bear
* Bash_A
* Costoluto Florentino
* Clad_A
* Clad_A0
* Matt's Hornet

The Pearler_ plants were doing quite nicely, but their leaves have been curling a lot in this heat, and the heat may be preventing the fruits from getting bigger, too. One of the six plants has been getting BER (A2 or A3). I should prune the curled leaves off to reinvigorate the plants. Other plants have curling leaves, too, but probably not as badly as the Pearler_ plants. Pearler_ didn't curl much with the storms, though, but some of the bigger plants, like Insurance_B did. I have hope that the Pearler_ plants will shine more later in the season, however.

The Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes are setting more fruit. Plant B1's new fruits are looking more like they're supposed to (so, maybe it's not a cross).

The air has been smoky from fires for a few days, now. It might be like that for the rest of the season.

I found about five or six robins in the blackcurrant bushes yesterday. They seemed to be enjoying themselves. That made me happy. We don't usually get a lot of birds eating fruit in our yard. They were probably willing to come this year because the bushes are so huge (usually, we prune them lower)--that and the currants are abundant, bigger, and extra tasty, this year. They have a lot of shelter in those bushes. We picked some currants and made jam (just to eat--not to can). I added a little too much citric acid to the jam, but it was pretty good. The birds flew off before we picked any currants (one robin at a time) when I came to check out the tomatoes.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:34 am

I just picked the first Mexican Yellow fruit. It actually had BER (albeit mildly). BER makes tomatoes ripen faster; so, that explains why it was so early.

Strangely, it had a grassy taste that reminded me of asparagus, but it was kind of sweet, and kind of like it tasted in 2016 (sans the grassy taste and the sweetness). It was slightly mealy, too. I didn't save seeds from that fruit. I'll wait for some without BER. I found a couple other fruits with BER on Mexican Yellow, too. The plant in 2016 didn't have any BER. The BER is disappointing (and probably because of the heat), but the mealiness is probably just due to when I fertilized it with what.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:28 pm

I already gave a weather report for today and tomorrow, but it changed; so, here you go:

Today: 103/66
Tomorrow: 102/69; UVI 10
The rest of July: 95-107/65-75

An Egg Yolk tomato is ripening. More kinds of tomatoes might be ripening in the main patch, but there were robins eating blackcurrants, again, and I didn't want to scare them away. They were nervous enough as it was, with me on the other side of the yard. So, I went in the house and checked again later.

Plenty of peppers have been setting fruit. I need to record which ones.

The Nax_A tomato is setting more fruit, and looking good.

I ate a SunCitron F2 fruit. It probably could have ripened a bit more. It tasted like Brown Berry with more citric acid, and less of the dark flavor. I'm guessing it would have an improved taste with more sun (there's a wall of blackcurrant bushes to its west shading it, and kind of other directions, since it's so close). The fruit was white/cream (or pale yellow) and round (a number of the Sun series F2s, and the F3 are oblong, but this one is round). It was maybe three fourths of an inch in diameter.

I tasted some wonderberries. They had a stronger watermelon-type taste than usual, but were less sweet than usual (probably because of the fertilization/water). They had some of that grassy taste that the tomatoes I've harvested so far have had. I'm not sure where that's coming from, but I've never tasted it on tomatoes (or wonderberries) before this year. What makes tomato skins taste like grass? Maybe it's the fertilizer and the heat.

Okay, I just went out again and harvested four ripe 5CGI_B tomatoes. I washed and ate them; they were really good: moderately sweet, rich, and tart. There was no grassy taste.

I harvested a couple zucchini (not full-sized, but one was on its way there; I prefer them bigger, but I'm the only one here to eat them who does).

Earlier, I noticed that some Armenian cucumbers were developing. They're looking quite long, proportion-wise--much more so than the last time we grew them. I think it's Armenian Long Yard, but I'm not sure. I think they like the soil where they are more (plus, I've been fertilizing them, and they've got a trellis).

The zucchini plants are looking great despite any squash bugs on them.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Today: 104/68
Tomorrow: 101/66; UVI 10

The v21_A6 tomato got two ripe fruits, today. I ate one and another taster ate another. Mine was only slightly sweet, but it had a nice fresh taste along with some tang; I liked it. I'm guessing they'll sweeten more the longer away from nitrogen fertilization and frequent watering they get (since it's probably a Medovaya Kaplya cross F3). I'm not planning to water the tomatoes much, now, as of at least a few days ago. The plant is looking prolific. Here's a picture of the ripe fruits:
IMG_20210715_212650.jpg
I harvested 25 ripe fruits from v21_A24, and more are ripening. The fruits are variable sizes just like its parent (some are pretty small). Note that the non-volunteer Galapagos Island tomatoes have had pretty consistent sizes (per plant); so, unless the soil is responsible, v21_A24 and its parent (which was also a volunteer) are unique there. Here's a picture of the fruits:
IMG_20210715_214845.jpg
I guess not all the Pearler_ tomatoes are curling heavily (just five of them). Pearler_A is looking just fine, and it has bigger fruit than the other Pearler_ plants too. That's convenient that it's doing the best out of the six plants right now, since I'll be able to call its descendants Pearler_B, Pearler_B0, etc. instead of something like Pearler_A3A, Pearler_A3A0, etc.

I saw a fruit with BER on Matt's Hornet.

There were birds in the blackcurrant bushes again.

I probably won't be fertilizing many of the tomatoes from this point, either (just the smaller ones). I'll probably keep fertilizing the peppers, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:16 am

I plant tomatoes out in mid-March, which puts the bulk of fruit development in May. This year May temps suddenly swung from highs of 78 to highs in the 90s for 2 weeks or so. I ended up with much more BER than I ever had before despite twice weekly liquid feeds.
I’ve decided I’m going to move my seed starting schedule up by 3 weeks and let the seedlings spend more time under lights so they’re a bigger size when I plant out. I must have chucked 70 lbs of fruit from BER damage which was really frustrating.
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:00 pm

Today: 99/66
Tomorrow: 102/65; UVI 10

There were more birds in the blackcurrants, today. I wonder if they'll start eating wonderberries when the currants are gone.

A SunChocola F3 was ripe. I picked and ate it. It was good, but pretty different from the F2. I'll probably grow one or more F3s next year instead of an F4. Here are some pictures of it:
IMG_20210716_210607.jpg
IMG_20210716_210807.jpg
I ate another SunCitron F2. I think it was somewhat tastier than the last one (and yellower, too, but not as yellow as it appears in the picture):
IMG_20210716_213123.jpg
I snacked on some wonderberries. They were sweeter than the first few I had (and didn't have the grassy taste). Here are some pictures of most of them that I ate:
IMG_20210716_212345.jpg
IMG_20210716_212201.jpg
Here are some unripe wonderberries, with ripe ones far below:
IMG_20210716_211432.jpg
I discovered a developing Matt's Hornet fruit with spikes on it (near and at the blossom end; the picture doesn't capture them perfectly); I had never seen a spiky tomato before!
IMG_20210716_212631.jpg
We had most of yesterday's v21_A24 tomatoes in a salad, today. Nice and colorful.

The Mexican Yellow cross F3 tomato is doing nicely, setting more fruit.

Insurance_B is looking like it's going to have smaller fruit, this year. It must have been cross-pollinated again last year. I'm curious if the fruit will be pink, red, or something else. One of the unripe fruits had BER, today.

The Egg Yolk tomato looks ripe. There's another one ripening.

The West India burr gherkins are looking good.

Here's what our lambsquarter weeds look like when we don't pull them up:
IMG_20210716_212903.jpg
Here's an amaranth weed (we have a bunch of these--mostly by our new potatoes; this one is near the lambsquarter):
IMG_20210716_212923.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:20 am

Are the Wonderberries intended for the humans or for the wildlife? Or to share, lol?
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 pm

[mention]PlainJane[/mention]
I grow wonderberries to eat, but I like the idea of birds eating them, and there are definitely enough fruits to go around, especially later in the season. Wonderberries are incredibly prolific. Pretty much every flower sets fruit, as far as I can tell, and they keep doing it all season (and more so if you keep harvesting them all). A lot of the fruits end up dropping to the ground during harvesting to provide more volunteers in future years (whether you like it or not). They slip off the plant easily. They don't cling tightly to the calyces like blackcurrants do.

I like them fresh. I like them with tomatoes in frittatas, on pizza, in tomato sauce, etc. I like them in banana burr gherkin smoothies. I think they're great with ham. They're ornamental in salads and on pizza. They're good mixed with other fruits and berries. I don't recommend using them as the primary berry for a pie or jam. You probably shouldn't be eating so many of them in a day as you'd get in much pie (plus, they're very soft), and I haven't found a jam recipe that makes them taste or look great without other fruit.

One thing I like about them is I don't have to worry about the acids making my teeth sensitive. They're not as acidic to the teeth as blackberries. The seeds are smaller and softer, also (like ground cherry seeds).

Historically, I've never seen a bird touch one, but I know birds are capable of eating them, as I've read reviews about them doing so.

Another thing I like is that they're grown from seed and you get fruit in a single season. So, I don't have to worry about where they are, or about what happens to them in the winter, and I can put them new places every year, if I want. I can take seeds with me, too, and share them easily with others. I can grow as many as I have room for, every year, and the initial seeds only cost me $2 (at tradewindsfruit.com). Once, I said I got them at Baker Creek once, but that was a false memory. People should definitely breed more varieties (via selection and sports/mutations).

-----
@all

Today: 104/72
Tomorrow: 100/70; UVI 10

The Huerfano Bliss melons are growing some fruits already, and the fruits are growing quite fast! At least one is an obvious cross.

The watermelons are setting fruit and the plants are huge!

I ate a Muncher cucumber. It was tasty, and seemingly seedless.

The following tomatoes (at least) have set fruit:
* v21_A26 (round; maybe has slight ribbing—I'd have to look again)
* v21_A27 (round)

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:27 pm

I just harvested the following tomato fruits:

* 4 Frittata Kitchen (B)--2 of them were undersized to the point of being cherries; 66 days from transplant and 105 from seed
* 2 Egg Yolk
* 1 BSX (B) with BER

The three Frittata Kitchen (B) tomatoes that I tasted (fresh) were sweet and good. It wasn't the same as it tasted last year (especially in that it was sweet and didn't have the strange bubblegum-type aftertaste), but that could be the growing conditions. I liked it. Another taster said the tomato she ate wasn't sweet, but that it was good, although she didn't sing its praises (she doesn't praise a terrible lot of tomatoes I offer her, though, especially if they're not sweet, but she likes Sprite, Esterina F1, Eva, Market Wonder, Green Giant, Early Girl F1, and an unidentified medium-sized round orange-yellow tomato which she didn't eat in 2020, among probably others).

The least ripe, and largest, Egg Yolk tomato of the two tasted quite good. The riper, smaller one had a mild chlorine-type taste (more typical of red tomatoes) and less flavor.

The BSX (B) with BER tasted excellent. It was like smoky ham. But, it was quite pink instead of black; so, it's probably not stabilized, yet. I much prefer the taste to last year, though. I'm curious to see if the other two plants have pink fruit, and if they taste the same.

Mexican Yellow is doing quite well. It has a bunch of fruit that are getting a good size. Fortunately, the BER seems to have stopped.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:06 pm

Today: 99/71; UVI 9
Tomorrow: 97/68; UVI 9

Insurance_B had a ripe fruit, today (69 days from transplant; 107 days from seed). It was red (and about the size and shape of an Early Girl F1 tomato)! So, it did get cross-pollinated last year (otherwise, it would have been a big pink, or possibly but probably not yellow, beefsteak--and probably not early).

Pearler_A, Pearler_A1, and Clad_A0 have ripening fruits (but I wouldn't say they're ripe, yet).

v21_A3 had two ripe fruits (yellow round cherries, probably Medovaya Kaplya cross F3s).

Frittata Kitchen (B0) had a ripe fruit. (68 days from transplant; 107 days from seed; plant B was a couple days earlier.)

I harvested and we ate the following ripe tomatoes, fresh:
* Insurance_B x 1 (it was very meaty, like an oxheart usually is; not too many seeds; taste was good, but straightforward (it didn't have a bunch of taste phases); somewhat bold, but not extremely complex)
* v21_A3 x 2 (very similar to v21_A6; maybe slightly sweeter and slightly more flavorful)
* v21_A6 x 2 (I personally ate one, which was about the same as the last time I ate one)
* Frittata Kitchen (B0) x 1 (It was good; not as sweet as the fruits from plant B that I ate, and slightly different flavor; it's in different soil.)
* v21_A24 x 23
* Egg Yolk x 1

I'm trying to keep track of the number of all the tomatoes I harvest, so I can measure their production better.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:57 pm

Your hot weather and high UV blows my mind... kudos for producing such a garden in those conditions! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:44 pm

[mention]Bower[/mention]
I don't claim the credit for it, but I like to think some of the things I did might have helped. :)

I'm amazed that the plants are setting fruit so well, myself. In previous years when it's been hot consistently, we might not have had much coming on until near the middle of August, and those that did set before then didn't typically set a lot (or else they set before the heat came--or on an off day below 90). Most of the tomatoes in the garden this year set in the heat, though.

I think trying to follow Tormato's method with seed-starting helped quite a bit; the plants seemed to take off faster with fewer problems after transplanting that way (note that some which are in tougher soil are later than usual, though, like 5CGI_B, but the transplant went smoothly). The foliar spray fertilization seemed to help, too. The nights have been pretty cool, too (but not too cool, this time; some years it'll be super hot in the day, but cold enough to cause pollination problems or blossom drop at night; night-time temperatures have been closer to ideal, this year). The plants seem to like the sun that's being produced, this year, too. There have been a few windy days, but not too many. I think using black plastic helps a lot, too; most tomatoes just seem to like it more for some reason (although some seem to do better without it). It keeps most of the weeds out and reduces watering needs.

@all
I neglected to mention that the following tomatoes have set fruit:
* Orange Jazz
* Matina (Matina's late to set fruit since it was transplanted small and I believe late; it's doing very well, considering that and how it was somewhat uprooted by a storm)
* Napoli (C)

I harvested 97 or 98 West India burr gherkins, and as many wonderberries as were ripe on the main five plants in the main patch of tomatoes. I made a smoothy, but unfortunately we're out of fresh bananas; so, it didn't taste that great. It was probably nutritious, though. Definitely don't forget the bananas. They're pretty crucial.
IMG_20210719_183659.jpg
IMG_20210719_184449.jpg

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 pm

We have a red flag warning in my area, currently, until 11 PM tomorrow. There may be some thunderstorms, this week. According to weather.com, "A Red Flag Warning means warm temperatures, very low humidities, and stronger winds are expected to combine to produce an increased risk of fire danger."

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Today: 96/69; UVI 9
Tomorrow: 99/67; UVI 9

SunGarnet F2 has ripe, red fruit.

The blushing fruits from other plants from yesterday probably have ripe fruit. There's another ripe Frittata Kitchen (B) tomato (which was ripe yesterday, too).

All of the tomatoes that survived (which are listed on my garden map) have set fruit by (potentially long before) today, except the following:
Napoli (B0)
Napoli (C0)
Sprite
Stick (B5)
Stick (B8)
Stick (B9)
v21_A
v21_A22 (this plant is stunted and dying for unknown reasons)
v21_A25

I should probably fertilize them, today. None of these were among the first to be transplanted. Napoli (C0) was transplanted the earliest of all of the transplants among these, but it had a little herbicide drift on it early on when someone sprayed the weeds by fence; it's alive and looking fine, now, but no fruit, yet. The volunteers listed here are younger than most. Sprite has been pretty slow-growing; it was like that, but not as bad, last year; it did have a late transplant. Sprite is the only tomato in a location without black plastic, this year. It has flowers, and the plant is still very small. The Stick tomatoes listed are less mature than the other Stick tomatoes.

Some of the volunteers are looking quite prolific (especially the ones within four or five feet of the caged Purple Calabash plant; especially a few others, too).

One volunteer has stripes, so I'm pretty sure it's from that striped Chris Ukrainian cross.

One is a prolific cherry tomato that might be Rosella (I don't know what it would be if not Rosella; I don't think I had any other round cherries in that plot last year). It could be a cherry from 2019 or before, though (such as Sweet Orange Cherry x Husky Cherry Red F-something F3)! It seems more prolific, with larger fruit than Rosella was last year; we'll see. The fruit color and taste should be more revealing.

Most of the volunteers are not cherry tomatoes, though.

Purple Calabash really likes being caged, apparently. It's setting quite a few fruits, and the plant looks very healthy. The uncaged one isn't doing so well by comparison, but it is somewhat younger.

Okay, I harvested and ate the following:

* SunGarnet F2 x 2 (Excellent fruity sweet taste!)
* Clad_B0 x 2 (Decent hearty tomato taste; kind of like a standard Roma but a bit heartier; kind of mushy texture)
* Pearler_A1 x 1 (Really interesting taste; surprising; definitely has a potent taste. I'm not quite sure how to describe it. It was a new experience. I should have someone else taste it to see how they react. The F1 and the original Napoli had larger fruit, but the F1 had larger fruit than the original Napoli.)

I'm really glad that Clad_B0 and Pearler_A1 (F2s from different Napoli crosses) have more flavor. Napoli (their ancestor) in previous years and the F1 crosses last year (their parents) were pretty mild.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:48 pm

I just found a ripe Horse_A tomato. It ripened pink; however, inside, the flesh was both pink and green (I've never seen that before). Half of the tomato was soft, like it was bruised or something. I cut that half off, and I shared the other half with another taster.

It had a lot of flavor, like a good Brandywine-type, but it was noticeably less sweet and more tart than that.

Horse_A isn't looking so good all of the sudden. Most of its leaves are curling. I don't know if we had some wind last night or what (I didn't notice any). It doesn't have a lot of fruit that has set, so far (just a few). I think I'll go outside and prune some leaves.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 pm

Today: 98/66; UVI 9.1
Tomorrow: 96/62; UVI 9

I've decided to use this site for the day's UV index when I can't get information from Alexa/accuweather (they won't generally tell me what it was earlier in the day).

I harvested ripe (to ripe-ish) fruits from the following:
* Matt's Hornet x 1 (very good and sweet; I liked the flavor even more than that of Matt's Wild Cherry; good texture, too; excellent tomato; my relative who isn't easily impressed liked it; it's tempting to just grow this next year and nothing else--maybe 60 plants--but no, I'll probably grow three to five plants, and plenty of other kinds; I want to save *lots* of seeds)
* SunGarnet F2 x 2 (I gave these to my relative who isn't easy to impress; she was impressed, and said it was her favorite out of those she's had this year; she liked it more than Matt's Hornet, but she did like Matt's Hornet)
* Frittata Kitchen x 1
* Pearler_A1 x 1
* v21_A6 x 4 (two fruits looked diseased or something, probably with a fungal disease whose name I don't know; so, I threw those out)
* Japanese Black Trifele (B1; this tasted fantastic, and had a very smoky ham type taste that I believe most people who likes tomatoes would love; much more flavor than last year; the fruit was red, bordering on brown, instead of black; it was smaller than normal for the variety, and more plum-shaped than wide pear-shaped; I'll have to analyze future fruits and compare them to those of the other plants before I decide if it's a cross or just an offtype fruit)
* Pearler_A x 4 (These were actually sweet/tart and pretty tasty; I'm thankful for that. Two of them had a mushy texture, but the other two didn't. The skins stuck to the sides of the roof of my mouth, and my teeth. Interestingly, I feel significantly healthier after eating them, which is very exciting. I didn't get vibes like the other taster would enjoy the flavor--she'd probably think it was too tart; plus, she had eaten enough tomatoes for the day--so, that's why I ate them all; the ones I was going to save for her were apparently the mushy ones, though; so, it's just as well I ate them. Each fruit appeared to have a good supply of decently-sized seeds, but they didn't interfere with the culinary qualities, IMO.)

Here's what the Pearler_A fruits looked like:
IMG_20210721_213514.jpg
v21_A20 is looking great. It has a number of good-sized beefsteaks on it.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”