Shule's 2021 garden grow log

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Shule's 2021 garden grow log

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:50 am

I transplanted all but four of the watermelons, this morning, as well as all three West India burr gherkins.

A number of tomatoes set fruit within the last few days, including, but not limited to Japanese Black Trifele (B1), BSX (B), and more that l will hopefully list later.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Here are all the tomato plants that have set fruit, this year, so far (names in the list updated to reflect what they are as of 29 June 2021):

5CGI_B (Galapagos Island selection)
Bash_A F2
Black Bear
Black Beauty
BSX (B)
BSX (B0)
BSX (B1)
Chocolate Chestnut
Clad_A
Clad_A0
Cosmic Eclipse
Egg Yolk
Frittata Kitchen (B)
Frittata Kitchen (B0)
Horse_A
Insurance_B
Japanese Black Trifele (B1)
Mexican Yellow
Pearler_A
Pearler_A1 (a lot of fruit)
Pearler_A2
Pearler_A3
Pearler_A4
Stick (B2)
SunChocola F3 (ovate fruit)
SunCitron F2
SunDolce F2 (A)—ovate fruit
SunGarnet F2
SunLemon F2
SunPeach F2
v21_A3
v21_A5
v21_A6
v21_A24 (Galapagos Island volunteer)

If you're confused because I'm mentioning names you haven't seen before, it's because I just started using my updated plant identification and matriarchal lineage tracking system, and I've named some breeding projects. See my garden map, which tells you what I used to refer to these as.

In summary, Pearler_ is starting with the Napoli cross A F2s. Clad_ is starting with the Napoli cross B F2s. Insurance_B was Insurance_2 (and is a Mexican Yellow cross F4). 5CGI_ is a Galapagos Island lineage descended from a seed of a fruit with 5 locules. v21_ is this year's volunteers. u21_ is this year's currently unidentified transplants. Those letters and numbers in parentheses are to identify each plant uniquely and track it's matriarchal lineage since I first grew that seed source. Note that Insurance_1 has been renamed Insurance_A, and 5CGI_B's parent has been renamed 5CGI_A, even though those are plants from last year.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:11 pm

Okay, I finished transplanting all the watermelons. The only thing left to transplant is an okra plant that sprouted, today, and maybe three in-ground tomatoes (two are Stick tomatoes that sprouted after I transplanted the one each is with) that I'm thinking about leaving doubled up with another plant, but might transplant out or thin to one plant.

The watermelons I transplanted this morning were these:
Wm21_A0 through Wm21_A8

The ones I transplanted this evening were these:
Wm21_A9 through Wm21_A12

For more information about each watermelon, my garden map says what I called each before the new name.

It looks like I have 29 volunteer tomatoes that I'm planning to keep.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:03 pm

Here are the new tomatoes to have set fruit by today:

Matt's Hornet
Marion
Picnic_B F4

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:01 pm

These new tomatoes set fruit by today:

Napoli (B1)
Stick (B1)
Stick (B4)
v21_A18

v21_A18 is the transplanted PL volunteer that is probably a Medovaya Kaplya cross F3, with large round yellow cherries--hopefully sweet, and hopefully more complex than Medovaya Kaplya. It's pretty amazing that this set fruit already, since it wasn't transplanted very long ago, and when I transplanted it, I was thinking about thinning it--so, I just kind of yanked it out, and it lost most of its roots; then I changed my mind and transplanted it; I have been fertilizing it, though. The leaves smelled really sweet on that one, when I first smelled them.

The tomato jungle is almost complete (I mean, the plants are getting big, filling up the space, and many are sprawling--the sprawling is in large part due to another storm we had some days ago, though). I heard they forecasted 70MPH winds that day (which is highly unusual). One thing that storm taught me, though, is that wind can cause tomato leaves to curl. Right after the storm, a lot of the plants had some curling leaves, and there was a remarkable lack of curling before the storm.

The Stick tomato plants look like castles.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:09 am

These tomatoes set fruit by today:

* Costoluto Florentino
* Napoli (C1)—this is a new cross, it appears: the fruit is roundish and ribbed. Father candidates include at least the Purple Calabash cross F1, Purple Calabash, and Red Calabash.
* Pearler_A0
* Purple Russian
* Stick (B0)
* v21_A14 (the caged one that I think is Purple Calabash)

Some wonderberries have set fruit, including the one in the middle of loads of tomatoes, and the one next to the Eastmost one.

I pulled up v21_A5, which I thought looked diseased. It may have been storm damage, though. It was probably a Brandy Boy cross F4.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Cosmic Eclipse. It's growing healthy like it's supposed to look like that.

It should be noted that we've had high temperatures for a while, now (104° F, today). So, the ones that set today and probably some of the other entries are heat-tolerant. It's supposed to get progressively hotter until it's 113° F. or so.

Some of the ones that have already set fruit have been setting more fruit. The ones with the most are probably v21_A24 (Galapagos Island), the Pearler_ tomatoes, Frittata Kitchen (both), and maybe some others.

Insurance_B is setting in the heat. It has a decent number of fruits.

I'm going to refer to the crossed Napoli (C1) as Nax_A F1.

Stick appears to have been remarkably resilient against wind in that storm. I was watching some Stick tomato plants, and they hardly moved at all (if they moved at all) where the other tomatoes got tossed around considerably. It's encouraging that it also appears to be heat-tolerant. It's also a space-saver.

The SunChocola F3 fruits have been brown (and ovate) ever since they set! I didn't know unripe fruits could be brown. How will I know when they're ripe? :) The F2s weren't brown when unripe, but they did ripen brown; the F2s were not especially ovate.

The fruit on Matt's Hornet is quite long, and it has stripes. I forgot it was supposed to be striped. That's cool.

I don't recall my Girl Girl's Weird Thing's fruits being striped. I'll have to look at them again. If they're not striped I'll have to get another seed source, and grow it again. I checked. There are indeed no stripes! Hrmm. The true Girl Girl's Weird Thing has evaded me again. I think I'll give it a name, since it's apparently not the true variety. Let's call it Horse_A. You know, because a horse is like a zebra without stripes (and it's also not a zebra). Maybe it'll be a workhorse, too.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:16 am

I'm pleased to announce the first ripe fruit of the season, from v21_A24. It could probably stand to ripen a touch more, but it looks edible now; it's a yellow cherry (it's Galapagos Island). That's several days earlier than the prediction I made!

I spent quite a bit of time doing a foliar spray of potassium sulfate on most of the garden through the night (I use a 51oz pump sprayer; a hose fertilizer is faster): I fertilized all the tomatoes except Isis Candy (which has potassium sulfate in its soil) and Matina; I fertilized all the peppers, all the potatoes, the muskmelons (which also have potassium sulfate in their soil), the wonderberries in the main patch of tomatoes, all the watermelons, all the West India burr gherkins, all the cucumbers (and Armenian cucumbers), the zucchini, the nectarine tree, the outdoor cactuses (we have a few, in pots, and there's that cutting of a Thanksgiving cactus that I put outdoors), and the seeded flowers. It probably took about 5 or 6 tablespoons of potassium sulfate.

I watered all the tomatoes and the non-container peppers, the watermelons, the muskmelons, the cucumbers, the potatoes, the onions, the nectarine tree, the dwarf Stanley prune-plum tree (they just sent it; so, it hasn't been transplanted long; it's growing, despite the summer transplant), the grapes, and maybe other stuff. I haven't mentioned all the times I've been watering and fertilizing various plants (with calcium nitrate and Miracle Gro).

It was supposed to get up to 109 degrees F., yesterday. I didn't check all day, but the one time I did check, it was 107 (so, I suppose it probably got to 109). It's no longer supposed to get to 113, this week, but 107, today (low of 71), and 106 until Monday (then 103, and then in the 90s, I think). The nights are a bit cooler than seems average (compared to the highs), on the 10-day forecast. Our nights tend to be about 20 to 40 degrees cooler than our days (27 is probably pretty close to the norm).

I think I over-watered some of the container peppers the other day.

I found several squash bugs and clutches of eggs on the zucchini, yesterday.

The following tomato plants set fruit:

* Amana Orange (B0)
* Amana Orange (B1)
* Church
* Japanese Black Trifele (B)--interesting how it set fruit before B0, despite being smaller at transplant time and being retransplanted.
* Napoli (C4; not nippled)
* v21_A4 (I believe I noticed that this set fruit a few+ days ago; it has at least 17 round/oblate fruits--probably not a cherry, by the size so far; possibilities that come to mind are Nineveh, and Garden Leader Monster; also, it could be a child of Insurance_A)
* v21_A10 (round/oblate)
* v21_A12 (smooth ovate; Porter?)
* v21_A13 (round)
* v21_A14 (ruffled and flat; probably is PC)
* v21_A15 (round)
* v21_A17 (beefsteak)

These already set fruit, but I counted their fruits, or assessed their shapes, this morning:
* Japanese Black Trifele (B1) has more of a plum shape to it's fruit; still PL, though (I don't know what cross would have resulted in such a shape, if it crossed)
* Marion has at least one oxheart-shaped fruit (but it's not wispy). So, maybe it got cross-pollinated. Or, maybe it's just a physiological thing due to the weather. The only oxhearts I had last year were the wispy Italian Heirloom that might have been crossed, the tomato that was supposed to be Bosque Blue, Taiga, and Red Oxheart. I listed those in order of closest to furthest. Oxheart shape is dominant over beefsteak, in my experience.
* Napoli (B1; blunt point, but not nippled)
* SunGarnet F2 has at least 7 fruits
* SunLemon F2 has 6 or 7 fruits
* SunPeach F2 has about 1 fruit (ovate; not rounded in the middle)

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:18 pm

I'm pleased to announce that the first two sweet peppers of the season set fruit, on the following plants:

* u21_A4 (This should be either Lipstick, Neapolitan, or one of the peppers on my grow-list that isn't mentioned on my garden map: Cubanelle, Doe Hill, Etiuda, Goccia d'Oro, Horizon, Roumanian Rainbow, or Sheepnose; I don't think the latter two sprouted or survived, and Goccia d'Oro is likely another plant).
* u21_A17 (This is either Orange Sun or Hungarian Sweet Wax.)

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:53 am

On June 30th, at least one of the muskmelons was flowering (in the third spot from south to north).

I'm thinking about my 2022 to-grow list. As it stands, here are the tomatoes that I think I want on it, at least (I imagine my mind may change):

* SunGarnet F3
* SunCitron F3
* Marion oxheart cross F2
* Insurance_A seed
* Insurance_B seed
* Stick (lots)
* Pearler_
* Clad_
* Nax_
* Mexican Yellow
* Church
* Garden Leader Monster
* BSX
* Black Cherry
* Galapagos Island (v21_A24 and 5CGI_)
* Goatbag
* Alpha Pink
* Matina 2B's seed
* Frittata Kitchen
* Carbon
* Japanese Black Trifele
* Terhune
* Bash_ seeds (resulting in A0+ and B+ plants)--maybe a few
* Napoli (from this year's fruits)
* Matt's Hornet (maybe 2)
* v21_A4
* SunChocola F3 (or maybe F4, depending on my thoughts)
* Akers West Virginia
* Brandy Boy OP
* Big Beef F1
* Aunt Ruby's Yellow Cherry
* Brandywine OTV
* Cowlick's Brandywine
* Red Brandywine
* Cherokee Purple
* Cherokee Yellow Perfection Peach
* Costoluto Genovese
* Early Treat F2
* Early Girl F2
* Big Boy F2
* Green Giant x Golden King of Siberia F2
* Maybe Cosmic Eclipse, Cold Black Brandy, Picnic_B's seed, Chocolate Chestnut, Horse_, Camp Joy, Medovaya Kaplya cross, Ambrosia Red, Brad's Black Heart, and Amana Orange (from B0)
* Cherokee Lime
* Cherokee Green
* Chris's Greek Mama
* Greek Domata (if I have seeds)
* Giant Roo
* SunOrange F2
* Blush
* Rosalita
* Nepal
* Frog Princess
* Golden Marble
* Brandywine
* Maybe others that I haven't added to my have-lists, yet.

If I get seeds:
* Ambrosia Gold
* Neves Azorean Red
* Linda's Faux
* Bacon Lettuce and This
* SunGold F1
* Beauty
* Pantano Romanesco
* Girl Girl's Weird Thing (I might have some that I haven't tried, yet.)
* Yellow Ping Pong
* Stump of the World
* Wisconsin 55
* Atkinson
* Brutus

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:24 am

If you want to throw in something unusual try Green Bee from Fred Hemple at Artisan Seeds.
Great list! Haven’t even started mine yet.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:44 am

It was supposed to get to 105 degrees F. (low of 69), on July 1st. I know it got to at least 104.

The plants are looking much happier in the heat (I believe thanks to the potassium sulfate foliar spray), today. They look much perkier.

I gave Epsom salt to all the tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, honeydew melons, Lemon cucumbers, and West India burr gherkins. I still need to finish watering it into the soil, in the backyard; I'm tired for a few reasons, but I plan to do it soon. Yeah, I'm not doing a foliar spray with this, and I used all my Epsom salt (so, I need to get more). So, we should get plenty of magnesium in our diet from the garden.

I still haven't harvested the first ripe tomato, but Galapagos Island has good hang-time.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:17 am

The weather (high and low in Fahrenheit) for today is 103/69.

It's supposed to get up to 108 degrees F. on Tuesday, again (107 tomorrow), and it's not supposed to be in the 90's until mid to late next week (then back in the 100s again).

I haven't checked all the plants, yet; so, I may update this later, but the following tomatoes set fruit by today:

* Isis Candy (it looks big enough that it probably set at least a day or two ago)

I gave the ripe v21_A24 tomato to a relative, who thought it was tart, almost bitter (and not sweet), and needed to ripen longer (I might not have agreed about it needing to ripen longer had I eaten it, though). There's another one ripening.

I finally finished watering the Epsom salt in. I was too tired, yesterday to finish then, due to less sleep than usual, moving air conditioners around in the heat, the sun, and probably not eating enough. We had relatives visiting who just arrived, too. Anyway, it's finished.

I need to give Epsom salt to the rest of the cucumbers, and to the wonderberry in the middle of the tomato patch (I didn't see any Epsom salt on it when I went to water it in).

The Horse_A tomato plant is looking rather nice and stately.

I think the pepper that set fruit in the backyard is probably Hungarian Sweet Wax; it doesn't look enough like a bell pepper for me to think it's Orange Sun.

I need to thin the watermelons and West India burr gherkins. There have been a few squash bugs on some of them (but they're relatively peaceable compared to how they are on squash). I need to thin the honeydew melons, too.

I need to transplant the okra. I know it's pretty late to be transplanting.

The long sprayer nozzle broke a week or so ago. We discovered an unused Orbit spray nozzle in my room that I had purchased once upon a time. Those are good, while they last, but they don't handle the weather very well (especially the winter, notwithstanding it being in a shed); so, I'm taking it in the house when I'm done with it.

The SunChocola F3 fruits look greenish brown instead of brown, now.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:31 am

Okay, so, I checked the garden and discovered one more tomato that set fruit:

* Black Cherry (The fruits also look big enough that they probably set before today.)

It's been about a week since I sprayed calcium nitrate or Miracle Gro on anything. On Wednesday, I sprayed potassium sulfate on the same and more plants; as expected, potassium sulfate didn't burn any plants. On Thursday/Friday, I added Epsom salt to the soil. No plants seem to be burning from that after a day (I didn't think they would, but everything is supposed to have a salt index). Anyway, I suspect I may be able to fertilize with Miracle Gro, now (since it's been a week since I last applied anything with nitrogen); however, because I've added other things in the meantime, I decided to test it (generously) on a couple tomatoes today. We'll see how they fare. If they're fine then I'm guessing everything else will be fine. The particular ones I sprayed had the Epsom salt watered in on Friday instead of Thursday (and had three handfuls of wood/fruit/vegetable ash added to their current soil pre-transplant; they had a calcium nitrate foliar spray a week ago; they also had a late transplant and neither has set fruit, yet--but they have flowers; I think all the tomatoes probably have flowers). The tomatoes I sprayed with Miracle Gro today are these:

* Napoli (C)
* Napoli (C0)

I mixed about 1.195 teaspoons of 24-8-16 All-purpose Miracle Gro in about 51oz of water. The sprayer is still mostly full of water/fertilizer, of course. It doesn't take much.

I don't suppose that they'll get burned, but if they do, I'm pretty sure they'll live.

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:41 pm

I just finished thinning all the watermelons, West India burr gherkins, and Huerfano Bliss melons to three plants per spot. I'll need to water them, and the peppers, tonight. I found that about four or five okra plants sprouted with that Carolina Cross #183 plant; I snipped off all those okra plants with scissors.

Napoli (C) and Napoli (C0) are looking perfectly fine, so far. No fertilizer burn. I'll probably spray more plants with Miracle Gro or calcium nitrate on Monday.

The Mexican Yellow cross F3 tomato set fruit, by today.

The Church tomato has been fruiting and growing impressively since it first set fruit.

It was a nice morning, this morning. The plants looked like they were quite enjoying it.

The new fertilizer that I ordered (for when the Miracle Gro runs out) arrived, today. I don't anticipate that it'll run out soon, though, but I wanted to stock up on it while I can while it's a good price—just in case. I bought three 5lb containers of 24-8-16 All-purpose Miracle Gro, for under $10 each, not counting tax. I got the 5lb ones because they have nice containers that shouldn't spill or let light through; they have a tight lid—they're not just in a cardboard box and/or a bag.

I've decided to record the high/low temperatures (in Fahrenheit), and the UV index high for each day of the season from this point forward. I'm not here on Sundays, though; so, I'm just planning to put Saturday's predictions for Sundays. My weather information comes from Amazon's Alexa, who uses AccuWeather. The UV index numbers come from Alexa, too.

I should probably include the next day's forecast everyday, just in case I'm not perfect.

This should be useful for analysis in future seasons, especially if I keep it up from year to year.

It's too bad I didn't start doing this from the beginning. It wasn't quite this hot until recently, and was sometimes fairly cool. We probably had more rain than average in the late spring. I didn't mention every time it rained.

Temperatures:
Today: 107/71; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 104/67; UVI 10

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:09 pm

Weather:
Today: 103/65; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 107/70; UVI 10

The following tomatoes set fruit by today:
* Cold Black Brandy
* Dinner Plate

Pearler_A is setting an impressive amount of fruit, and they're getting bigger than those of Pearler_A1 (so far). Pearler_A1 seems to have slowed down, but it set a lot before it did.

I'm starting to think that heat in dry areas with kind of coolish nights delays fruit set more often than it altogether prevents it. I think some kinds do need extra care to set in the heat, though, and some might not set at all (but not as many as I first thought). I think there are other factors than heat involved, including plant stress (e.g. from wind damage, drought, low nutrients, etc.) Fertilization definitely seems to help plants out for when the heat comes. However, with only a 20-30 degree difference, I need to evaluate that more, since it's sometimes in that range when it's very hot, or sometimes in the 80s for a nightly low.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:52 am

At least four more peppers set fruit:

* Jimmy Nardello Italian
* Lilac Bell
* u21_A2
* White Cloud

A relative harvested two 8-10" zucchini yesterday, which we had in a salad. They were pretty good.

A Muncher cucumber fruit is growing.

We should have burr gherkins to set fruit and harvest soon.

I weeded out the Malva neglecta plants on the mulched row of peppers.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:32 am

Today: 107/70; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 103/64; UVI 10

It's raining lightly right now. It usually rains soon after Independence Day, probably because of the fireworks. It's also often colder-than-forecasted the day after a rain (and the UV tends to feel more penetrating to me, too).

We had some severe wind earlier, today—severe enough to partially uproot my Matina tomato! I put more soil over it and watered it. Hopefully it survives. Thankfully, the damage was done soon after the sun had gone down while it was still light, and it didn't sever all the roots. I should give it some potassium sulfate.

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:59 am

Okay, I just ate the second ripe tomato (from v21_A24). It actually tasted really good with nice tomato flavor and an appreciable amount of sweetness. So much more potent than our current grocery store tomatoes (which seem to have lost most of the flavor they once had as of about a year ago). The skin had a grassy taste, interestingly, but it wasn't unpleasant. Overall, I loved it.

There's at least one more tomato on the same plant ripening.

The rain stopped, and the ground is not wet.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:20 am

Today: 100/62; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 101/68; UVI 10

The following tomatoes set fruit by today:
* Amana Orange (B)
* Japanese Black Trifele (B0; only B1 has an atypical fruit shape)
* v21_A21

Possibly more volunteers, too.

Okay, about the heat-tolerance issue, I don't think it's just about whether they can set fruit, but also about how much fruit they set. While all the Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes have set fruit, for instance, they've set very few, so far. However, some tomatoes are setting lots of fruit habitually (e.g. Bash_A, Pearler_, Clad_, Galapagos Island, BSX, some volunteers, Insurance_B, etc.) Orange Jazz and Picnic_B0 haven't set any, yet, but they've had plenty of flowers for a long time (JBT has had plenty of flowers for a long time, too).

Amana Orange and Church took a while to set (after flowering), but they're setting fruit nicely now on the plants that set before today. That might be normal. It's hard to say without knowing how they perform in ideal temperatures.

The tomatoes are performing in the heat better this year than in previous years. Last year and the year before, we had a good supply of days in the 80s; so, there was opportunity to set fruit there without the heat issue. It seems a good year in general, but I'm guessing the fertilization and extra water has been helping. In 2016, however, I watered a *lot*, and they didn't set this well. I have been selecting plants that do well in our conditions, too, though, as well as trialing random new varieties. Most of the new ones are doing decently, this year, though.

The partially uprooted Matina tomato survived the day. It looks fine, other than one to three curling leaves. I did give it the potassium sulfate (in the soil), which I know helps when it comes to root damage, transplant shock, and such.

I'm guessing broad leaves make PL tomatoes more prone to wind damage, and curling (from damaged roots, due to the wind) as a result. RL plants do get damaged, too, however. I'm curious how Stick will perform with pompom foliage when the plants are larger. I don't cage most of my plants (so, wind damage is more of a concern in some situations than it would be if I used cages to brace all my tomatoes).

The largest fruits on the tomatoes so far seem to be on Picnic_B and one of the BSX plants.

I sprayed Miracle Gro on the cucurbits, some of the potatoes, all the peppers, some of the tomatoes, a rose bush, and more yesterday (technically very early this morning).

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:32 am

Today: 100/67; UVI 10
Tomorrow: 99/61; UVI 10
10-day: 97-108/61-69

At least the following additional tomatoes set fruit by today:
* Aunt Ginny's Purple
* Napoli (C6)

There are a couple more ripe to almost ripe tomatoes on v21_A24.

I'm pretty sure more peppers have set fruit, but I didn't check.

The Church tomato is rather impressive.

The potatoes really seem to have appreciated that Miracle Gro foliar spray. They perked up quite a bit.

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”