Hundreds and thousands

These I have just started this weekend:
Swoon
Miss Scarlet inKwtK
Dotson's Lebanese
Amish yellowish orange oxheart
Donskoi
E m champion

I had a few others I tried starting in January but no luck. And that is ok, as I have far exceeded my space anyway. Sort of dreading the eventual discussion where my husband notes that he thought 6 tomato plants this year was a good idea and we have like 7 times that amount.... Which to me means it will be 7 times as great, right? :lol:
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Julianna
Reactions:

Re: 2021 Go Big or Go Home List

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:28 pm

20210417_182231_HDR.jpg
This is what I am working with. It looks disorganized and not great, but it keeps the gophers out.
20210417_182243_HDR.jpg
20210417_182257.jpg
20210417_182308.jpg
Some of my plants were set out in February and are larger. Smaller ones were put out Thursday. I have some in totes and a handful in these gopher cages and I will put a collar on there when they grow a couple inches.
20210417_182320_HDR.jpg
20210417_182348.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am

Oh, [mention]Julianna[/mention] , you got it bad! Six plants doesn't give you enough to put up sauce, give to friends, family & neighbors, and give to the hungry & homeless, tell him. :D

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:41 am

Nan6b wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am Oh, @Julianna , you got it bad! Six plants doesn't give you enough to put up sauce, give to friends, family & neighbors, and give to the hungry & homeless, tell him. :D
Right? When I had a real garden before, I had grown out 100 varieties over 2 years. He complains that my plants are "too big" and that it is unnatural for tomatoes to grow over 3ft :lol: . oh well. He cannot wrap his head around how our tomatoes grow here in the US.

Imagine if he realized how many seeds I have that I have planned for subsequent years for grow outs... :lol:
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Julianna wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:41 am He complains that my plants are "too big" and that it is unnatural for tomatoes to grow over 3ft :lol: . oh well. He cannot wrap his head around how our tomatoes grow here in the US.
So many of the ones you have are dwarfs- is that to make him feel more comfortable with them? :lol:

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:27 pm

Nan6b wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:42 pm
Julianna wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:41 am He complains that my plants are "too big" and that it is unnatural for tomatoes to grow over 3ft :lol: . oh well. He cannot wrap his head around how our tomatoes grow here in the US.
So many of the ones you have are dwarfs- is that to make him feel more comfortable with them? :lol:
Omg lol yes. So, I decided this year to try out some dwarfs because of his constant complaining about the size of my plants. You see right through my plan!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat May 08, 2021 9:22 am

My heart seedlings are up. Everyone germinated at least one plant.

Spotted some baby tomatoes. The plants outside are blooming and some ot the blossoms have dropped to reveal the babies. Now to begin the 4 million year wait for ripeness.

Favas are still in strong and peas. Some strawberries have been coming in. I spotted a teeny artichoke. I was feeling like a failure in winter gardening until I spoke to other locals and it seems it is just a weird year. Everything went straight to bolt from seed. Even carrots. I will try again.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

MissS
Reactions:

Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 pm

You have a great line-up! I can understand how your husband might be a bit overwhelmed but just tell him that this keeps you off of the streets and out of the bars. It worked for me!
~ Patti ~

Julianna
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm

MissS wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:47 pm You have a great line-up! I can understand how your husband might be a bit overwhelmed but just tell him that this keeps you off of the streets and out of the bars. It worked for me!
Lol! He still won't get it. But that is ok. I think I am mostly confounding to him. I got a cheap late mid century dresser that i am going to strip and refinish. He saw it yesterday and freaked out because finish is missing. Prefers the temp pressboard one we have. I am just a mystery to him lol. I don't see it myself.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Wed May 26, 2021 12:20 am

Big sigh. I had a 1ft tall blue beauty that just oddly has damage that looks like it dampened off. This has never happened to me before. Also my stumps died. Other than that, everyone else is doing well.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:28 pm

A few of my tomatoes are struggling but not dead. Everyone else is doing really well and I have a lot of fruit developing. Hoping for the best because I am just SO TIRED. Sone of the MMMM hearts are going incredibly well. I am excited to get ripe fruit. I think I am months away from most of my plants, but a few will be earlier. Looks like Frog Princess wants to win first place for the slicers.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm

That's great to hear about Frog Princess and those hearts.

I have a lot of sympathy for you when it comes to tiredness.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:46 pm

Shule wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm That's great to hear about Frog Princess and those hearts.

I have a lot of sympathy for you when it comes to tiredness.
I checked today and Frog Princess has suddenly blushed yellow. The fruit is firmer than a usual ripe tomato but I think in a day or so I will pick it. I am excited to give it a try and to save seed!

I look forward to that maternity leave break, honestly. My week is working 40+ hours plus commuting, caring for the toddler, cooking, cleaning house, working in the garden, keeping track of all that has to get done, bills, grocery lists, 2-3 appointments each week, logging BP twice a day and then logging all my meals, insulin, etc. But my boss said he thought I looked more energetic and i think that iron is kicking in since I no longer have to stop and catch my breath every six feet. It isnt where I was, but I do feel better.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm

My best wishes Julianna, for the tomatoes and everything else!!! :) Stay well and safe.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Julianna
Reactions:

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:29 am

Bower wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:46 pm My best wishes Julianna, for the tomatoes and everything else!!! :) Stay well and safe.
Thank you! I fully intend to hide out in my little office space and then at home until after baby arrives. Tomorrow is the day I will pick Frog Princess and I am just so excited.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:45 am

So! Frog Princess was very fruity to my taste and quite sweet... But not unpleasantly so. It made very few seeds. I have had several come from my Dwarf Laura's Bounty and they are ok... Probably more of a cooking type as they run a tad dry. Just harvested a Boronia dwarf and a big green dwarf. Intend to cut into them today! I am saving seed as I go.

Most of my plants have at least one fruit on them at this point. So I am looking forward to at least being able to sample. I feel like I am learning a lot about this container growing thing this season and know more of what to do next season when I feel much better.

Doctor tried to take me out of work today, but I argued for the 3rd so I can help my team make the close of the fiscal month. My pelvic pain is too intense and I am having issues walking properly. I am hoping with more rest that I can tend the tomatoes better from home and I will get improved results through November.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 am

It is wonderful that you are getting a taste of what you have grown and I'm glad that you have learned so much. Your plate has been rather full so just rest and enjoy whatever comes. Playing in the garden is one thing working in the garden is not what you need right now.

I would listen to the doc and take any time that I could to get off of my feet. I'm sure that you have a good team and they will get the job done with or without you.
~ Patti ~

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:48 am

[mention]Julianna[/mention], much respect. Im sure your team appreciates all that you do. You're someone I would enjoy working with on my team. Just be sure to take care of yourself too, you can't help anyone is you don't first help yourself.

Here's wishing you well
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:51 am

MissS wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 am It is wonderful that you are getting a taste of what you have grown and I'm glad that you have learned so much. Your plate has been rather full so just rest and enjoy whatever comes. Playing in the garden is one thing working in the garden is not what you need right now.

I would listen to the doc and take any time that I could to get off of my feet. I'm sure that you have a good team and they will get the job done with or without you.
I have always been able to do in ground growing and these containers threw me.for a bit of a loop sometimes! It isnt much work. Time to water and time to fertilize will be about it. Maybe a bit of trimming.

Unfortunately, with the gestational diabetes, I end up having to exercise so this is as good a way as any!

We are woefully understaffed and they will be forced to pull so much OT until things settle down.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:54 am

Rockoe10 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:48 am @Julianna, much respect. Im sure your team appreciates all that you do. You're someone I would enjoy working with on my team. Just be sure to take care of yourself too, you can't help anyone is you don't first help yourself.

Here's wishing you well
I am. I am going out before my c section date which is the 21st. I just know we all cover as much as we can for each other and I will refuse to leave them in the lurch. The higher ups will never care, and this is the best way I can try to wrap things up.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”