The Dawg Patch

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: The Dawg Patch

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:13 am

I hear that there are separate varieties bread specifically for eating leaves and stems rather than there ability to form edible roots. Have not tried them myself

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 am

Yep, snake tastes like chicken, too.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:25 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:40 am Yep, snake tastes like chicken, too.
As does crocodile, or at least the farmed version

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:58 am

Spring/summer things continue to finish in the garden. It's about time.

The Colossus field peas finished their first round of peas and after a rest they're putting out more flowers. The squash bugs have finally shown up and if I don't do an evening pyrethrum spray around dark, the emerging peas will become full of stings and be unusable. We keep having late afternoon/early evening rains but I think I’ll try to treat them this evening hoping to knock back the squash and leaffooted bugs.

With all the afternoon rains precluding the application of fungicide, the funk is now attacking the cukes. I don't know if it's reversible or not. From internet photos it looks like the start of downy mildew.

I saw wilting at the end of one cuke and one squash vine and found a hole in each.

After carefully cutting off each terminal section I slit them open and found the pickleworm culprit. It looks like both the squash and cukes have been hit by another round of pickleworms, the latest they’ve ever been around. I'm hoping the plants will send out a new vine section to take over the job.

There are two new cuke plants under the lights and about ready for transplanting. This is probably the first time that I've been diligent about having new plants ready to go for succession planting.

Yesterday I harvested one of the two Zuchetta rampicante squash as my fingernail didn’t leave a dent in the skin. It weighed in at 7 lbs. I had to use loppers to cut through the hard stem!

I’m amazed that the SVB’s didn’t find the stem but that may be due to the weeds that have grown up around the vines.

This was one of this year’s “toys”. I’ve never grown it before but if it truly tastes like a winter squash, it will have a permanent home in the garden.

JRinPA
Reactions:

sweet potato trimming tip

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:55 am

I checked that site mentioned but I don't see anything about a sweet potato guide or tips. Can you give me a run down? I have a couples rows of them and they are vining like crazy the last month. How should I be cutting them back? I guess harvest is in September here? Last year I ignored them and they were pretty half rotted in November.

In my 20 ft raised bed I have them planted every few feet. In the garden I have two rows in between the okra and they have overrun the walk ways. Is it not a big deal to crush the vines by stepping on them?

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention] That Zuchetta rampicante squash will be pretty nice if the seeds are only at the bulb end.

EDIT here's what might need trimmed, never heard of trimming, but I'm new to sweet potatoes last year.
70.JPG
72.JPG
74.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:02 pm

Beautiful garden, JR! I see you've tried to somewhat contain the vines with string. I do that with any field peas grown in a bed. As with yours, it will work for a while but eventually all hell breaks loose. :lol:

It looks like Sow True Seeds has changed their tutorial pages. When I find something useful on line I usually copy it off for my files just in case it goes away some day and also include the web addy. They had a much longer sweet potato tutorial when I copied it off on May 15, 2016!

Here's the section about pruning:

"There are varieties that are bush in nature like the Porto Rico, but most sweet potatoes are vining in nature, and enthusiastic ones at that. Left on their own to grow, they can quickly spread to every corner of your garden, which can be a lovely living mulch, but if you want big tubers, you’ll need to keep the vines snipped back to within 3 feet of the mother plant. Keeping them regularly pruned also allows for easier harvesting as it’s easier to find where you originally planted. It’s not a waste though, sweet potato greens are delicious!

Occasionally you may lift the long vines to prevent adventitious rooting at their nodes. Where the plant roots it will attempt to grow more tubers, taking much needed nutrients and energy away from the main crop."

I don't cut them that short and only cut them in August for a September harvest. This year I cut the vines back to about 6-8'. But I do lift the vines periodically as they will peg down. The first time I grew them and harvested I found little baby sweet potatoes about 2" long here and there along the vines, growing just under the surface. That's the wasted energy.

I also saved info from the sweet potato narrative from Sand Hills' website. They don't cut theirs but echo the "lifting the vines" theme:

"As the plants grow, you will need to take care that the plants don’t set down roots away from the main plant. Check for this by gently lifting the vines every once in a while to keep them from setting down roots along the vine. If they do this, and they will in moist soil, your yield can be decreased to next to zero. The only place you want them to root is at the spot where you planted the original plant."

Their page, which is full of great information and has an interesting formula method of determining crop readiness, is still there: https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/sw ... nformation

Last year I had one lonely slip left over after planting. I just couldn't throw it away and so it got planted at the end of a bed at the bottom of a trellis. That's the sweet potato trellis at the far end of of the bed late last August:

It made a nice pile of rather large sweets! I do remember weaving the vines back and forth through the trellis fencing but I can't remember if I ever pruned them or not.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:35 pm

Ah ha! I found it. Sow True Seed reorganized their stuff and in their growing guides I found the sweet potato information. The article about the vines is the fifth section down the page.

https://sowtrueseed.com/search?type=art ... t+potatoes

Two articles below that is an article about harvesting and cooking sweet potato greens, for anyone interested.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 am

Excellent, thank you. Cut them to 6 ft a month before harvest and don't let them peg down into the soil. I also read a lot of that sand hill page just now. That is they kind of person I would like to thank for their efforts to share their knowledge. Many of us do that on forums, but on a paid for website and running a business, it is not usually the case for people to want to share information. He doesn't come off as wanting to sell you his slips. He wants teach everyone how sweet potatoes work so they can raise their own and not have to rely on anyone else if they so choose.

To me it is quite surprising that you are not supposed to let them root. I had sweet potatoes all over the place last year, way more than I thought there would be from a dozen slips. The only vines I lifted were those that climbed over the fall cauliflower tunnel and rooted in the walkway on the other side. I just wish I had picked them a month earlier. I wonder if it is because of the rich clay and compost they were planted in, rather than typical river bottom sand.

Last year was Georgia Jet planted late June and put under AG19 tunnel right away. This year it was Centennial and something else. Never got a hoop tunnel. They were planted a lot earlier and I let the garden get shaded out by co-planted radish and turnips. But I think I only lost one sweet potato vine underneath that mess. With the heat they grew well but I don't know what I will find. Next year I want to grow my own slips rather than rely on the local stores. The timing was terrible but there was nothing do but buy them before they sold out and put them in the ground.

That 20 ft raised bed has not only sweet potatoes, but also has or had carrots parsnips red beets spinach lettuce. The carrots did poorly due to the drip line making them into crazy short fats with a hundred hairs each. I knew it would happen but tried anyway. Parsnips probably similar. Spinach and lettuce in particular needed shade. The strings you likely mean on the 20ft raised bed are the guide lines for some AG19 as shade roof. I have some clips that allow it to slide out like pulling a shower curtain. It worked great until an unexpected storm one night, while it was left deployed. That ripped it up some, but easy enough to fix passably. I have not needed it for the last couple weeks, since the rain came back an the lettuce and spinach are gone. The white at the end of the bed under the pear tree is the rolled up AG19. I can probably remove it now that the sun is less intense all cool crops are gone.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:47 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 am To me it is quite surprising that you are not supposed to let them root. I had sweet potatoes all over the place last year, way more than I thought there would be from a dozen slips. The only vines I lifted were those that climbed over the fall cauliflower tunnel and rooted in the walkway on the other side. I just wish I had picked them a month earlier. I wonder if it is because of the rich clay and compost they were planted in, rather than typical river bottom sand.
Note that the Sand Hills article says he likes his sweet potatoes a bit on the small size, maybe the size of a bratwurst? The Sow True Seed page says they cut their vines to 3' to encourage big sweet potatoes. I'm trying for something in the middle so I'm just playing with the 6' length near the end of the season. There's a lot of energy spent by the plant making those vines ever longer and energy making babies along the vines so it makes sense to redirect that energy into the potatoes growing under the planting.
JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 am Last year was Georgia Jet planted late June and put under AG19 tunnel right away. This year it was Centennial and something else.
I grow Jewel as it's one of the few nematode resistant ones out there. My sister found and bought it in the organic section of a Publix store and when I looked it up I found it was resistant. Good fortune, that! It's done well for me so I've not tempted the nematode fates by trying anything else.
JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 am Next year I want to grow my own slips rather than rely on the local stores. The timing was terrible but there was nothing do but buy them before they sold out and put them in the ground.
They're easy to do. There are a lot of ways to do it. I followed the advice from Deep South Homestead but instead of growing them from seed potatoes in the ground, I planted three in a plastic window box and it worked great.

There's a link below his video to the next episode where he harvests the slips for planting and a few things he likes to do to the slips before planting.
JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:20 am The carrots did poorly due to the drip line making them into crazy short fats with a hundred hairs each. I knew it would happen but tried anyway.
I have read that overfertilizing carrots will generate a lot of root hairs. That seemed to have happened to mine the first time I successfully grew carrots and ever since then I just scatter and turn in a little 10-10-10 prior to sowing and that's that for the season.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:27 pm

I didn't have anything left this year to start from...they all rotted in the cellar, close to 55f in the winter. Not that they were great to start with, but it seems that is too cold and induces fungi rot. This year I guess I put them in my bedroom closet for 65f.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:57 am

JRinPA wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:27 pm I didn't have anything left this year to start from...they all rotted in the cellar, close to 55f in the winter. Not that they were great to start with, but it seems that is too cold and induces fungi rot. This year I guess I put them in my bedroom closet for 65f.
The sweets and the garlic do fine here in an indoor closet where it stays around 75. The Irish spuds too, somewhat. Those and the sweets are in peach baskets with newspaper over the top. We don't grow that many of the Irish so we eat on them a good while and at the first sight of sprouting the remainder get canned up.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:33 am

The garden is going to heck in a handbasket. With all the rain there's not been much work done and so the weeds are taking over in, around and between beds. Funk is showing up everywhere. BUT... we're coming into a five day dry stretch. The sun has just appeared so hopefully this afternoon after things dry out I will be able to start tackling the mess and get some fungicide put out.

All spring tomatoe sare gone except a few that I cut back, two grown for fall and some micros on the porch. This morning I had to pull out the staked crookneck squash as a vine borer snuck in and got it. Although the straightneck got hit too, I found it early and injected bT into the hole, squirting it up and down the stem. It's hanging in there.

The only things still producing are the peppers, okra and the eggplant. The eggplants are smaller but there are a lot of them on the plant.

The Provider and Contender bush beans that were planted on the 22nd in perfect moisture and soil temp conditions popped up yesterday.

There are a lot of jalapenos on the four plants. I've put up all the pickled slices I want and several jars of Cowboy Candy so I'm letting the rest turn red so I can make some fermented hot sauce.

The pull cord on the old push mower broke and Pickles is looking for a replacement unit to swap out. In the meantime, there's a new weedeater to use so I'll be able to get around and between beds with that. It's already been tested in a five bed section and works really well. Pickles was in charge of researching and buying and she got a Ryobi battery-op model and also a Ryobi pole saw that works on the same battery. Both tools are much needed.

The next planting target is Sep 1, when the next round of brassicas get started along with fernleaf dill and arugula.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 pm

What a nice difference a weedeater makes in the garden. Weeds along the bed edges and between the beds have now been beaten into submission. I love it! With the pushmower out of commission, the weedeater will handle the job.

The Rosella I cut back is doing fine with nice clean foliage coming and even some flowers. There's also one each of German Johnson, Porter, and BAG that were cut back and are recovering but they're not as far along as Rosella. It will be interesting to see if any of them produce before the end of October.

The okra is still kicking out. On the left is the taller Choppee, which I grew for the first time last year. On the right is Cajun Jewel whose new skinny leaves announce that the season for those plants is drawing to a close although they're loaded with flowers so there's still room to run.

CJ is described by the vendor as "Dwarf-type, 2½-4 ft. tall spineless plants produce an early crop of tender 1 in. diameter pods up to 8 in. long." These are at the 3.5' tall mark but about 4' wide. Yes, they started producing early and often! But the pods aren't quite tender at 8" long. Probably up to 6" long. Between the five CJ and Choppee plants we're getting all we want and more.

On the left is Choppee, about 6" long although they will stay tender to 8". The slim pods are velvety soft. On the right is the Cajun Jewel at 4". It could have gotten a bit bigger. The pods are ridged and develop a few little bumps as the pod ages. I'm thinking about removing the CJ's so that I can start letting some Choppee pods grow for later collection without any cross pollination.

The Colossus field peas are going nuts with all the showers we've had and definitely overflowing the 4' wide bed they're in. :D

They're setting another round of blooms after having taken several weeks off. However all the rain has funked up and ruined dried pods so I haven't collected any seed yet. They've just gotten all soft and furry!

There are several buckets that held wildflowers last year, have been totally ignored this year and became covered with the weeds growing all around them. Once the weedeater took care of that, I found a surprise. A volunteer tomatillo! I had forgotten one was planted in a third bucket next to these two last year. I guess a tomatillo dropped into the flower bucket and grew this year. :D:

And finally, this morning I was forking a bed up for future brassica plantings and saw a sprout that looked familiar. This is what I pulled up:

Last October I did a test planting of three potato hills in that spot. They didn't do well at all and nothing came back up in the spring. But evidently something managed to live and sprout now! Go figure. Sometimes things are just late bloomers. ;)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:43 pm

Peas and peas! At last writing the Colossus field peas were exuberantly overflowing their bed. Meanwhile the four rows of Big Red Rippers are tall enough that they're about to fall over and run. I still have the deer netting enclosure around them and am tempted to remove it. I'll have to think some more on that. I accidentally got too close to the netting with the weedeater the other day and got a tangled mess. Lesson learned!

In a different bed I am trying one row of a small but tasty field pea a kind gardener from North Carolina sent me. Her family has been saving this seed for over fifty years. Her father planted them with the corn in mid July and just called them September Peas because that's when they made. I can't wait to try them! But I will have to get the pruners out because the Colossus behind them are wanting to reach out and touch someone. :o

And finally, the purple coneflowers I started from seed and planted out way back in May are blooming. The butterflies are loving them. It's an herbaceous perennial so if winter isn't too bad, they'll be back. I'll have to figure out where to move them to because I already have spring plans for that bed!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:32 pm

The two Cajun Jewel okra plants have hit the road and now reside on Mt. Brushmore. It was time and the three Choppee plants will provide all we need. I got out there about 9am before it got too hot but by 10am it was already 90 with a 101 heat index. Those plants were so bushy I had to clip off the branches to get to the main trunk.

The bad news is that the roots of one were all knotted up with nematodes, the other plant just somewhat affected. The good news is that it was a great test of Cajun Jewel's claim to nematode resistance. Ta-daaaaaaa! It passed with flying colors and performed regardless.

Once the okra were history and out of my way I broadforked the row next to it, pulled out the weeds and tomorrow I will plant two more straightneck squash there. They too will be grown to a stake.

Last night I started seeds for Round 3 of brassicas; two broccoli, four cabbage and two cauliflower. Also a fernleaf dill, two Little Gem lettuces (more to be sown later) and a six pack of arugula which will later be transplanted into a window box for the winter. Behind last night's starts are two each of collards and kale that need a little more time before transplant.

Round Two brassicas, started Aug 21, are coming along nicely. The Charleston Wakefield cabbage are just now coming up. It was old seed and two of three pots failed to germinate so I did the wet paper towel trick with 20 seeds. Two of those 20 germinated and both got planted.

Round One plants, started Aug 2, are about 5" tall, are on the porch getting used to the heat and will go in the ground on Sunday.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:52 pm

We finally got a little heat relief yesterday and today from a cool front. Ordinarily I wouldn’t call 86 “cool” but the stiff breeze from the north made it sort of feel that way. We’ll take it!

The last several days have been more fall garden prep. The deer netting and supporting poles around the okra patch and field pea patch have been dismantled and put away. The carrot bed has been forked up for sowing tomorrow. The worst weedy bed has been forked and weeded to get ready for the garlic that’s on the way. I have some Lorz Italian softneck coming in to supplement the Russian Inferno and Siberian that might not be enough to plant all I need as they didn’t do so well this year.

The beans finally got mulched. This bed has 18’ of Contender on the left and the same of Provider on the right.

There’s been something going on with the leaves. I can’t find a photo of it anywhere online and although it sort of resembles leaf miners, I think it’s something environmental, like maybe overwatering. It’s happened before, usually every bean planting and very early. I pick the affected leaves off, cut back watering and the plants always grow out of it. Three days later, the plants are growing and no more of this stuff reappearing on the leaves.

I got the two new straightneck squash plants set out next to where the Cajun Jewel Okra was. This time I applied some diatomaceous earth around the base of the plants to see if it will take care of squash bugs. Note to self: mulch the squash. Squash are on the left by the trellis.

The jalapeno plants are loaded with peppers. The photo doesn’t do it justice as they are loaded on the other side too! Between four of these plants, there should be plenty of ripe peppers to make more fermented hot sauce this year.

Yesterday I was going to fork the area where turnips will be sown, only to find the last of the spring carrots still there. I pulled all the rest of the carrots, about 5 lbs and got into topping and washing them so turnip prep will happen later.

Tomorrow the first of three flights of brassicas get planted and those holes are already prepped with some fertilizer, compost etc. All I need to do is stick the plants in tomorrow evening. Easy peasy.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:04 pm

Wow, today's northerly breeze and lower temps are a blessing and a half. The two old black walnuts continue to rain down leaves. They're also starting to drop a few nuts in what we call the fall hard hat zone. :D

Today's mission has been one of cleaning up. The two trombone and spaghetti vines are done and the sweet potatoes will be dug as soon as some rain softens the ground. Both areas were overgrown and today they met the mower.

Before: Sweet potato area in the front, squash area behind the two big pots.

After: Pots gone and both areas mowed except for the actual row of sweet potato hills.

Well, I rolled the dice by taking down the deer netting from around the field peas. Duh. That was a stupid move. They're back and did a nice munch last night., not only along the edges but also inside the bed.

So I got the netting supports back up this morning and this afternoon we got the netting tied to it. I just know the peas will be all up into the netting before it's all over. Those vines seem to grow a mile a minute.

Two evenings ago I got the first few brassicas planted. I was about to head to the house and remembered the deer and how they love broccoli, etc so I put a netting tunnel over them and a small welded wire tunnel over the first two cauliflowers. The broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower are being strung out time-wise and by variety. By the time all are planted the bed will be full, 12 plants on each side.

The carrots also got sown, 18' each of Bolero and Yaya. I forgot to soak the seed overnight so they'll probably taker a bit longer to come up. Until we get rain I'll just have to mist the rows twice a day. They're saying rain by the weekend. We'll see. :roll:

GoDawgs
Reactions:

It's always something....

Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:49 am

One thing always seems to lead to another in the garden. You set out to do one thing and it becomes three things. At least. :roll:

Last night the deer decided to go to a different part of the garden since they couldn't get at the Ripper peas anymore. :twisted: They sampled the first five plants in the September Pea row that's next to the Colossus pea bed. :o I was so pleased about getting the Ripper netting up last evening that I had forgotten about those AND the bush bean bed. Heavy sigh.

You never know what you'll find in the garden. It took about ten minutes to put a netting tunnel over the bush beans. While I was dealing with the tunnel I saw two small clumps of something popping up in the bed. Surprise, surprise! It seems that one small popcorn ear had gotten buried in that bed when the stalks were pulled and the seeds were growing!

Beans covered, now the September pea bed. A mess. The next door Colossus peas were invading that so I had to go between the two beds, cutting back Colossus vines. Since the September Peas are just on the far side of their bed, Bermuda grass was starting to cover the unoccupied side and that got removed. In the process I also had to deal with three small fire ant hills I found. By then the morning was shot... time for lunch.

After lunch I will take the weedeater down between the two beds to tame that jungle and THEN I will be ready to put up the netting tunnel. I think. I hope. :lol:

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Puttering with the micro toms

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 am

Yesterday was putter day. I groomed the mini tomatoes on the porch, pruning off spent branches, cutting a little funk out here and there, fertilized, etc. They are just now starting to set more cherry tomatoes as the 90+ temps have faded away. There were plenty of flowers but just heat-killed pollen, I guess.

These two really are a lot tighter than the rangy Whippersnappers next to them. That's Red Robin on the left and Jochelos on the right. Very compact. There's a third one, Lille Lise, somewhere on the tables and I'm going to try keeping those three indoors all winter under lights.

The summer row of big bucket tomatoes on pallets has given way to a few assorted plants. In the back are a Rio Grande tomato started in June for fall and two different Roselles. In the front are the old Millionaire eggplant and a newer one, also started in June, plus the two rhubarbs I started from seed.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

A September To Remember

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:09 am

A cool September! Now, that's a rarity that we're thoroughly enjoying. Usually it's hot enough that I'm worried about planting out broccoli, etc and fretting about getting bush beans to germinate. But this year I rolled the dice on planting the beans in August, two weeks earlier than usual and hit a good temperature window. They popped up just fine. In fact, I had to put the netting tunnel leg extensions on the bean row a few days ago so the plants wouldn't be pushing against the netting.

The remnants of Sally came through without any damaging wind but dumped 7.5" on us in a 24 hour period. The three okras and two squash are in an area where there used to be a single wide mobile home at some point in the past. The area was dug out 6" deep by whoever owned it. Sally filled it up so the plants were doing the backstroke. I've never seen it full before.

The lower part of the garden (non-raised bed area) had 2" of water so the field peas were swimming too. But by the next morning every bit of water including the 6" had all been sucked up! I was amazed. Not only that, but you could walk on it without sinking! We keep dumping leaves and old pots of soil in that 6" deep area so eventually it will fill up. Maybe.

Yesterday a few more cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower plants got planted out. That was Round 2 of four. Round 3 plants are under the lights and Round 4 plants were seeded yesterday. All rounds are about two weeks apart.

I need to rip out the Colossus peas. They're a mess and vining more without setting flowers or peas so out they come. The September Peas I'm trying are a lot smaller, more well behaved plants and starting to flower. The Red Ripper peas are setting pods.

The flowers are a mess and in sad decline, especially the zinnias. Downright ugly foliage. They are pretty much done but the butterflies are still visiting so the plants will stay in a bit longer. The plants are for them anyway.

I have been tired of having sneakers or hiking boots getting so wet in the garden and had been on the lookout for decent overshoes. So hard to find! But I found some on Amazon from the Tingley Rubber Company, an outfit who has been 50 years in business. They were $25 but I consider these a garden tool and worth it. They're heavy duty, wide enough in the front to accommodate steel toe shoes if I had them. I can just leave my garden sneakers in them so there's no putting on or taking off the overshoes all the time. The extra width makes them look like Mickey Mouse feet but they work! That's all I need and want. Dry feet after morning chores in dewy grass or rain puddles. :thumb:

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”