Too much light?

jmsieglaff
Reactions: 113

Re: Too much light?

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:35 pm

And thinking about it a bit more. If it is indeed sodium from softened water causing a problem, a heavy round of watering with distilled to help leach out some of that sodium may not be a bad idea. After that heavy, soil soaking water, I would let the medium dry before watering again (don't overwater, except in the case if you're fearful of too much sodium in your growing mix). Alternatively, you could pot up plants into fresh medium.

Shule
Reactions: 646

Re: Too much light?

Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:56 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:27 pm
Setec Astronomy wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:49 pm
Hey, I just realized, the other thing I'm doing differently than last year, is I'm watering with (softened) tap water, while last year I was using distilled water. I don't know if that explains anything.
I use unsoftened tap water to water all my seedlings. I never have used distilled water, I'd imagine some mineral content to the water isn't a bad thing, otherwise it may leach more out of the medium (same reason people shouldn't drink distilled water--but I don't know). Softened water will definitely have considerably more sodium than unsoftened, I'd switch to plain tap water, I wonder if they are getting too much sodium into the medium and that's throwing something in the plants off.
Yeah, soft water (the kind with with extra sodium in it) causes problems with vegetables like tomatoes. They're more salt-tolerant than some plants, but yeah, you don't want to use soft water on tomatoes. I wouldn't recommend it on any plants, personally. That's probably the problem.

You should know that plants that have more sodium are more prone to being over-watered (and the roots are more prone to rotting, in my experience). Salt makes plants think they have more water than they do.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Seed Starting”