Seed Germination period

Volvo
Reactions:

Seed Germination period

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:59 am

Is there a seed Germination period , for instance "Spring " , Soil Temp ,or can seeds Germinate all year round??
Reason for asking is that ive noticed some seeds will germinate within a few days of being sown to sometimes two three weeks afterwards to not at all till the next season.
Or can it depend on the variety itself ??..

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: Seed Germination period

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:27 am

Variety, age and some say the moon phase can all influence the germination of seeds. Mine start up in February no problem, inside.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:31 am

The soil temp makes a big difference on how long it takes, or even if a seed will germinate. Some seeds, like peas, will germinate in cold soil (you'll often see the suggestion to plant "as soon as the soil can be worked", while most beans, which are close relatives, require warm soil, and if planted in soil that is too cold, they will often rot, before sprouting. Most peppers need warm soil to germinate, and some will often germinate in just several days in heated soil (80-90°), but might sprout in several weeks at room temp. (65-70°), and some not at all at the cooler temps.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Planted tomato seeds for two crosses I did this year and put in airing cupboard on tuesday. One cross has germinated 100% in four days and now needs lights, the other is still not broken the surface. The environment is the same, hence also depends on variety.

I experimented will sterilizing the seed compost first with boiling water first, it got a good soak. Let's see how they all do....

Peppers, aubergine and chillies got a two day head start and haven't surfaced yet....
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Return to “Seed Starting”