Yikes Aphids - can I use Neem on tiny seedlings?

zendog
Reactions:

Yikes Aphids - can I use Neem on tiny seedlings?

Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Aphids seem to somehow have gotten into my seedling starting area in my basement. First they got into some superhot peppers started back in January and I thought they were dealt with but now I see them on my very young tomatoes. Most have their first set of true leaves just starting to come in and I can already see an aphid here and there.... which will be everywhere if I don't act quickly.

Can I use Neem oil on such young seedlings? 1TBS per gallon? I'm a little worried about it damaging such young plants.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Yikes Aphids - can I use Neem on tiny seedlings?

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:52 am

Dawn dish soap will kill them. Make a foam, lather plant, then rinse off. It is instant death to any bug the soap hits.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:43 am

I agree with the Dawn and I would repeat it's use every 2 days for a week to kill off those that are newly hatched.
~ Patti ~

zendog
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am

Do you mean to use it in a sprayer/squirt bottle? If so, how much dawn to how much water?

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 pm

Yes we mean to use it in a spray bottle. For a standard size spray bottle (24 0z) I use about 5-8 drops or just one squirt of Dawn. Mix and they spray. I let it sit on the plants for 5 minutes to suffocate the bugs and then rinse them off. If you don't have a spray bottle you can partially fill your sink and then gently dip them into the soapy water.
~ Patti ~

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:11 pm

Spraying is the normal way. It works. I like to put some dawn in a bucket and spray with a hose until there are a lot of suds, and then massage handfuls of suds around the plant. This is only practical if the plant is small, but I feel like it is harder for the aphids to hide from the foam..plus it's fun. Remember to wash off the plant well to get the soap off afterward.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:56 pm

I use dawn (blue original with duck on label, not ultra) to spray for aphids on seedlings. Just be sure to rinse them well afterwards or the soap can burn or kill a seedling. Another option is cold pressed neem oil with a drop of peppermint oil as a spray.
I recommend test spraying one seedling and waiting (after rinsing) about 8 hours to be sure the mixture won't damage or kill the plants. Better
to lose one than an entire tray.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Cole_Robbie wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:11 pm Spraying is the normal way. It works. I like to put some dawn in a bucket and spray with a hose until there are a lot of suds, and then massage handfuls of suds around the plant. This is only practical if the plant is small, but I feel like it is harder for the aphids to hide from the foam..plus it's fun. Remember to wash off the plant well to get the soap off afterward.
I might try that next time I need to spray for aphids, thanks.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

Return to “Seed Starting”