Peanut growers

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Peanut growers

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

Hello,

Each year we try something new, this year it is peanuts. I have seed for an early variety and unless we have a very cool summer they should provide a crop. Being in the northern US I am going to start the peanuts in cow pots that will go into the ground and quickly biodegrade. I have two options for seedlings after they sprout—under lights in the basements where I begin tomatoes and peppers—but it is cool, upper 50sF. Or a cold frame outside, which can get cool especially on cool nights that follow a cloudy day since the water jugs in the cold frame won’t be warm, but during the days can get nice and warm. Thoughts from those growing peanuts—especially anyone who starts them indoors?
Thanks!

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Peanut growers

Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am

I've trialed them in Massachusetts. The variety was Tennessee Red (Wickey strain, supposed to have the highest number of 4 to a shell).

I directly seeded them after the last frost. They easily came in before cold weather. THE SQUIRRELS LOVED THEM.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Good to know you direct sowed and they came in. Maybe my move is wait to sow in the cow pots until late April, with a target plant date of May 20-25 depending on the weather, by then the cold frame should be a fine location for them, along with honeydew starts. We don't have a ton of squirrels, just a couple, hopefully they don't find them (they'd have to climb the hardware cloth fence, but obviously squirrels can climb anything.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:57 pm

jmsieglaff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm Good to know you direct sowed and they came in. Maybe my move is wait to sow in the cow pots until late April, with a target plant date of May 20-25 depending on the weather, by then the cold frame should be a fine location for them, along with honeydew starts. We don't have a ton of squirrels, just a couple, hopefully they don't find them (they'd have to climb the hardware cloth fence, but obviously squirrels can climb anything.
Just a couple, when all it takes is one.

Of all the things I've trialed in the garden over the years, peanuts are the rare earth magnet for squirrels.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:58 pm

I direct-seeded a number of peanut varieties in my garden some years ago. None of them sprouted. I guess they don't sprout easily in our soil, or something. Next time, I plan to pre-start them and transplant as I've done with melons and okra.

I haven't seen any squirrels since we cut the trees down (granted, we had trees when I planted the peanuts), but we used to get infrequent visits from a squirrel that would plant English walnuts in our yard. It seemed to have a large supply of them (so it was probably well-fed). I'm at a loss as to where it got walnuts to plant.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:46 pm

For growing peanuts, one thing you may want to read up on is gypsum.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:46 pm For growing peanuts, one thing you may want to read up on is gypsum.
Thanks for the tip! Doing so right now.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:54 pm

Temps, here, are around 83 for a daytime high average, 63 for a nighttime low average, for a good part of the summer. Lows don't get much below 60.
My peanuts were ready to dig, by the squirrels, in 90 days from sowing.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am

One day I wish to go to South Carolina and enjoy a bag of fresh boiled in the shell green peanuts from a roadside vendor. We get them canned here and those are a good snack, but I hear the fresh version are much better. Texas definitely has the climate and soil in some areas to grow peanuts commercially, but if they are squirrel magnets I might take a pass.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Seed Starting”