Tomato seedling stem issue

zendog
Reactions:

Tomato seedling stem issue

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:13 am

Some of my tomato seedlings are getting what looks like hardened brownish stems at the base. They were kept in cells for a very long time, since I knew when I repotted they'd get huge and it was too early, so I don't know if that is what contributed to it. They seem otherwise healthy and are growing fine. I'm potting them up now, but wondering if this is something else, like early blight on the stems. I feel like I've had this before and it wasn't an issue, but maybe folks have some input on what it is.
tomatostems.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Re: Tomato seedling stem issue

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:56 pm

That looks like scarring. Did you have any pests during their time in the small pots?

I know I've had slugs make an appearance under my pots before.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

peebee
Reactions:

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Sure looks like something's been nibbling on the stems. What could it be? But it doesn't look like fresh nibbling, maybe they've moved on.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am

[mention]zendog[/mention] I had a similar problem last year and I had never seen this before. It happened after I planted my seedlings in the garden and it also happened to a few pepper seedlings. I posted the photos on 2 forums and did endless Google searching and the only thing that people came up with was damping off.

I cut off several of the tomatoes and rooted them in water and they recovered and grew fine but I also tried piling soil around a couple of the other tomato plants to get them to grow roots above the brown area and they also did fine. The peppers died.

If this happens again this year I will just plant them deeper.

I cut open a stem on one of the tomato seedlings and the brown area seemed to be present throughout the stem. The tomato plants themselves were starting to wilt indicating a lack of food or water moving through the brown area.

Image20200608_195457 by Brownrexx, on Flickr

ImagePepper damping off by Brownrexx, on Flickr

zendog
Reactions:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:58 pm

Thanks all. I guess it could be some type of scarring or irritation of the stems since I really don't see anything impacting the leaves.
I did have some aphids early on that I got rid of with Neem, so maybe that was part of it. I think they'll be fine planted deep then, so that is good news

If they do anything significantly different after planting I'll update this post.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Damping off can be transferred to the garden in a previous year and come about after healthy seedlings are transferred to the garden in a later year.
This is what experts on the subject told me a few years ago.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Seed Starting”