heavy duty seed trays?

maxjohnson
Reactions:

heavy duty seed trays?

Thu May 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Wouldn't mind recommendation for some quality seed trays, doesn't have to be super expensive, but something that is durable and lasts. Especially with good sized cells that can accommodate tomato, pepper, beans. Thanks.

Shule
Reactions:

Re: heavy duty seed trays?

Thu May 06, 2021 10:07 pm

I don't know about heavy-duty (they're probably pretty normal with regard to re-usability), but the ones I use are a pretty good size:

Any bigger than that and I might as well use foam cups. Foam cups are cheap and they insulate. Not very reusable, though.

Sorry I didn't have more to say quality-wise!
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sat May 08, 2021 6:12 am

I like the stuff at greenhouse megastore. They have good stuff. The only problem is that things are 1020 sized. Which means cutting things up to 6 pack size which is more convenient for me.

Texgal
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 pm

I bought some trays from Bootstrap Farmer a few years ago and I thought they were too expensive, but after using them a few years I’m so glad I got them. I expect they will last me the rest of my life. I recommend them.
~ Emmie ~

ddsack
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 7:51 pm

Agree with Bootstrap Farmer trays, by far sturdier. I have both lime green and black trays, and although the black trays are heavier and slightly more expensive, I love the cheery color of the green ones. But when I checked a few months ago, green were sold out. I used to get Permanest trays, but they changed their plastic composition from the early days, and they are now more brittle and the edges chip easily if you bang into something. Bootstrap is the best!

PlainJane
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 5:30 am

I am still using my Garland seed starting trays going on 10 years now. They are made in the UK and at the time were carried by Gardeners Supply I believe. I use them for any seeds I start outside.
https://www.garlandproducts.com/standar ... holes.html
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

AZGardener
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 6:23 am

I like the seed trays from Hoss Tools. The cells aren't as big as the pony packs (6 cell) but you can buy the tray separate from the starting cells. I've heard good things about Bootstrap Farmer trays but no personal experience.
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

ddsack
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 am

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/con ... ays-flats/

It looks like GreenhouseMega Store now has various quality of trays, some of which look very similar to the Boot Strap Farmer trays. The mega heavy duty are pricey, so should be good quality. You get 10 of the black mega heavy duty for $38.49, which is a sale price, but the shipping is almost another $20 unless you can find other things to buy to make $100 in which case it looks like free shipping.

Vanman
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am

We are using the GreenhouseMega Store Mega heavy duty 1020 trays. Bought them this year. They truly are heavy duty and we expect them to last for years. We did not get any of their less expensive trays but suspect that the mid priced option would work well also. We also bought the Daisy trays and think they are not required with the Mega heavy duty trays.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 6:29 pm

I bought the "Mega Heavy Duty 1020 trays" from Greenhouse MegaStore last year. They are thicker than "normal" trays but not nearly as thick as I thought they'd be. I was disappointed but they are still better than normal thin trays.

They have lots of various sizes of cell trays, too.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

Glitch
Reactions:

Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Texgal wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:02 pm I bought some trays from Bootstrap Farmer a few years ago and I thought they were too expensive, but after using them a few years I’m so glad I got them. I expect they will last me the rest of my life. I recommend them.
Another vote for Bootstrap Farmer! Love mine. This is my first year with them and I can't go back to flimsy trays.
Miniature enthusiast. USDA Zone 6A.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue May 11, 2021 9:09 am

Glad to get all these good recommendations for Bootstrap! I am going to need some new trays next season (or maybe for the fall), as many are on their way out. I had tiny holes in a couple, and I know those polystyrene trays will start breaking - the problem with those, despite being "heavy duty". I noticed that the ones I would get are made of polypropylene - what a lot of heavy duty, long-lived trash cans, SIPs, and other items are made of. And I noticed that it's only $40 to get free shipping - not much at all.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Greatgardens
Reactions:

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:08 am

Another recommendation for Greenhouse MegaStore. They have a better selection of parts than others. If you're only interested in trays, then others will do fine, but if you also want inserts, or other items, that's where GHMS shines.

Return to “Seed Starting”