Impatiens and petunias struggling

Salaam
Reactions:

Impatiens and petunias struggling

Sat May 08, 2021 8:14 pm

After a slow start with lettuce and peppers, my seedlings have been growing great. Tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, eggplant, basil, kale, swiss chard, lettuce, marigold, cosmos, zinnia...

But the petunia and impatiens have been struggling. I found some mosquito looking insects on them and killed them with insecticidal soap. Maybe I've kept them too wet, or maybe the pots aren't large enough... I don't know. Here are some photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FFFHwTtc3VRTDsbcA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fEAJ6VKgyyy2Lwx18
Zone 5A

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Impatiens and petunias struggling

Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 am

[mention]Salaam[/mention] I can't see your photos. It won't allow me in without a google account. Please add your photos to this thread. You can do this by using the 'Full Editor & Preview tab', then find the 'attachments tab' at the bottom of the page and open it. From there you can just drag and drop it, copy and paste or upload it from your computer.
~ Patti ~

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 am

I can see the photo's and your seedlings are very yellow looking. Perhaps it's time to add some fertilizer (at half strength), but before you do that, check to see if the growing medium is wet. I think I could see some algae growing on the surface. I've had problems with the "all purpose" Pro-mix this spring as it's water retentive and I didn't notice until some of my seedlings complained. I wonder if the insects are fungus gnats? The lavae could be eating the roots......

Salaam
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 4:53 pm

20210507_171549.jpg
20210507_171542.jpg
Yes, it got dry 19 or so days ago and then too wet, I think. I'm still waiting for it to dry before I add fertilizer.

I'm using the Promix organic, and yes I'm having a hard time controlling the moisture. It seems once it gets very wet, it dries very slowly and doesn't turn light brown nor fluffy when it dries. I'm using only the weight of the pots to tell if it needs to be watered. The trick, I think, is not getting it too wet to begin with. I've only managed that with one or two trays.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 5A

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Ugh on the Pro mix! I think my problem was adding too much water when I mixed up a batch and then using that to pot up. Those seedlings were doomed :(. I brought them upstairs in case it was too cool for them in the basement. Good to know that they take so long to properly dry out. I'll keep testing before giving them any more water....

Thank goodness we'll be able to plant out soon and I wish you luck with your annuals :).

Linda

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Not my favourite mix. A friend uses it and loves it. I add perlite and some fluffy, peaty seeding mix to it.
Your plants look like they are starving for nitrogen.

MissS
Reactions:

Sun May 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Yep your plants are too wet and need some fertilizer. I bought Pro-Mix for the first time this year and am having the same issues. Some outdoor sunshine and some food will work wonders on them.
~ Patti ~

Return to “Seed Starting”