Just had to plant something...

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Just had to plant something...

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 am

I couldn't help it. It's time to plant something. Fingers itching for contact with soil. And so I did.

I started one undivided pack of scallions (three rows in the pack), one pot of basil and one Red Robin dwarf cherry tomato. The scallions were supposed to be started today and in four weeks I'll start the other pack. That way they won't all be ready at once. It takes about 2 months for them to be a transplantable size.

The basil is Newton, a freebie from Seeds n Such and the cherry tomato is Red Robin. A friend told me the tomato was a "spitter" :lol: but that's OK. I just wanted a toy to play with and have never done this one before. It will grow out on the porch in a pot later on.

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Just had to plant something...

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:26 pm

[mention]GoDawgs[/mention]
I wouldn't call Red Robin a spitter. It's mild. So, it may not excite the tongue like some cherries. But, it's perfectly edible. It's not what I would recommend if you're wanting much positive impact on the mass of your food supply, though.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:05 pm

It's just something to play with on the porch. There will be about nine tomatoes down in the garden and nine more up here at the house, all in buckets, come spring. I'll be starting those plants April 1 for setting out 4-5 weeks later.

imp
Account Closed
Reactions:

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:26 am

Boy howdy, I hear you GoDawgs! This Saturday we are having a good chance for some snow, but my fingers WANT to get and play with seeds and dirt already, LOL!! After this weekend, I may try some seeding and hope for no more bad weather to come.
Together, trees make an ecosystem that tempers the extremes of heat & cold, stores lots of water, & makes a lot of humidity. In this environment, trees can live to be very old. To get to this point, the community must remain intact no matter what.

Return to “Seed Starting”