Holy Moly! ONE Day?

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Holy Moly! ONE Day?

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:38 pm

I just sowed these Cajun Jewel okra seeds yesterday, two seeds per cell. Three of four cells are coming up!

Not so with the Choppee okra, same quantity sown the same time. This one day germination is amazing. I've NEVER had okra come up that fast! Yes, I wet down the soil mix with warm water and yes, I pre-soaked the seeds overnight, covered the pack with plastic wrap and put it close under the lights to keep it warm but I do that with all my seeds. Go figure!

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Holy Moly! ONE Day?

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:25 pm

WOW!
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

friedgreen51
Reactions:

Fri May 15, 2020 7:49 pm

That is great. I used my Park's Seed Company Biodome and my Choppee Okra was up in 4 days. I thought that was good.
All I can say is that is unbelievably fast germination for okra.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat May 16, 2020 9:15 am

Well, they germinated pretty quick but they got leggy like all the rest. Dang it! I was hoping this Cajun Jewel would make non-leggy sets like the old Cajun Delight use to make.

The Choppee never came up in the four-pack and the seed is just one year old. And it hasn't come up direct seeded in the garden either (sown May 5). Hmmm, looking at last year's notes it was seeded 4/28 and reseeded 5/8 and that didn't come up until 5/20! I've never had this problem with okra before. I have some germinating in a damp paper towel and a few look promising. They'll go in the ground today.

Return to “Seed Starting”