Breast tomato sprouting problems

TomatoCat
Reactions:

Breast tomato sprouting problems

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:14 pm

I have package of "breast" tomato seeds I got as a freebee from Bunny Hop Farms. I have been trying to germinate them but have had only one taker so far out of about 20. I have tried moist kitchen paper, moist potting soil (as recommended), seed starter but no luck with the exception of ONE in moist potting soil (out of 6). The rest did nothing. The seller did note she also had problems getting these to sprout and moist potting soil worked for her.

I'm wondering if this is a temperature problem - The one that did sprout was up on a high shelf for a few days. I have had good luck sprouting other varieties of tomatoes, just not "Breast". Has anyone else tried this variety and what worked? What tricks do you typically try to get difficult seeds to sprout?

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Breast tomato sprouting problems

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Never tried that variety, but adding heat is a good thing.

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:54 am

If you want to find out what you got, concerning seeds. Place seeds in moist paper towel, with any water that is chlorine free. Place in a zip-lock bag, or small Tupperware, at room temperature. {70 to 90 degrees}. If your tomato seeds can't grow a tail in those conditions, than toss them. You was given trash seeds. 95% of the tomato varieties seeds will start tails within less than 5 days. Generally on the 4th day, through the 6th day. I have ran into two varieties that took 7 days, but that is rare.

ContainerTed
Reactions:

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 am

Well, I don't think it's rare. I grow a lot of plants with old and very old seeds. There are ways to do things. This morning I had one finally come up. The seeds were from 2006 and came to me from North Carolina. I received them in 2016. It took 21 days to germinate. For most people, they only use fresh seeds and may not have the patience to wait, but I deal in trying to keep some seed groups from going extinct and at my age, I have a lot of patience. I planted seeds for 81 varieties and now have 76 up. More than half of them were seeds at least 7 years old.

Most folks who do not use a heat pad may have to wait a while for germination. But isn't the object to get a plant or plants for your garden or container? Don't waste your time and precious seeds by quitting on them too soon. Plant another cell if it makes you feel good, but don't abandon the first one. Set it aside somewhere and keep it watered. It might just surprise you.
Ted
Owner & Sole Operator of
The Muddy Bucket Farm
And Tomato Ranch

mikestuff49
Reactions:

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:52 am

I think it would be a hoot to tell people I was growing breasts in my garden. Sorry for the off-topic. I couldn't resist
The best things in life---are not things.

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:29 pm

@Mikestuff---- Dang it Mike !! Why did ya have to point that out to me ?? Now ya got me wanting to grow um. Get my hands in the dirt. LOL
PS-- Why do I now feel like a old pervert ?

Return to “Seed Starting”