Coral Bell and Canary Bell peppers

Shule
Reactions: 853

Coral Bell and Canary Bell peppers

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 pm

@Ginger2778 kindly gave me seeds for Coral Bell land Canary Bell. We really like them, this year. Very nice flavor.

I've personally assessed Canary Bell the most (and a relative has assessed Coral Bell more), and I really like its texture. It turns deep orange after turning yellow (so, I thought it was Coral Bell until today when I checked to be sure). It's a very high quality pepper, and I'm honestly pleased that it turns orange, since orange peppers is kind of what I'm going for.

Anyway, I definitely plan to grow these next year. My relative explicitly requested that we grow Coral bell again next year, and she raved about the flavor. She liked Canary Bell a lot, too (we had it in frittatas along with an Amana Orange tomato when she ate it; she ate Coral Bell fresh).

They're not as big as the orange version of Golden California Wonder, but that doesn't seem to be a problem. They produce decently, too, and at least Canary Bell (if not Coral Bell, too) has a nicer texture, and firmer flesh.

My relative likes to let them ripen a lot (not just as soon as they turn orange) before she considers them ripe.

Canary Bell (to me) tastes great whether it's orange or yellow.

Here's a picture of a couple that we haven't eaten yet (the yellow one is Canary Bell; the orange one is Coral Bell):
IMG_20210914_192658.jpg
IMG_20210914_192658.jpg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 126 times
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Ginger2778
Reactions: 966

Re: Coral Bell and Canary Bell peppers

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Both of them are very thick walled, sweet, and a good largish size.
- Marsha

Shule
Reactions: 853

Re: Coral Bell and Canary Bell peppers

Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 pm

Huh. For yesterday's dinner, I cut up an orange Canary Bell pepper for inclusion in my burritos (from the same plant as at least some of the ones I had previously eaten). It smelled fruity like a Habanero. It tasted excellent, too, but guess what? It was very slightly (and pleasantly) hot (not enough to activate my sun sensitivity, as far as I can tell, though). I'm guessing it has to ripen a lot to get the heat. It's possible it was a cross, but it was a full bell pepper shape; so, I'm guessing it wasn't a cross.

I plan to grow it next year from another source (I had already ordered more seeds before I found this out--because mine might cross with our hot Hungarian Sweet Wax pepper cross). So, I can find out if it's supposed to be slightly hot then.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Sweet Peppers”