Giant Aconcagua

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Giant Aconcagua

Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Anyone familiar with Giant Aconcagua? Every year I try to grow the largest Anaheim type, sweet pepper I can find. This year, I ordered and received seed for the Aconcagua from Seeds N Such. It is supposed to grow up to 11" long and weigh up to 12 oz. I know nothing about it's history, productivity; and heat resistance.

I always try to plant a few odd ball peppers along with my standard Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Tabasco types. This year I am adding Carolina Reaper to the mix. It should be interesting.

I'm also growing a lot of a small stature pepper plants named Medusa. My wife likes to grow a lot of daisy type flowers in containers on our decks. They always die at the first sign of high summer heat and blazing sunlight. I'm hoping I can grow the Medusa peppers to replace the daisy's and add some color and variety to our decks. They supposedly have no heat so my wife should enjoy them. She doesn't like hot peppers.

Paulf
Reactions:

Re: Giant Aconcagua

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:17 am

Giant Aconcagua is the one sweet pepper I grow every year. For me it is a large cylindrical pepper getting to be up to 10-12 inches long. A large plant with plenty of peppers. Slit open it covers a slice of bread easily for a nice addition to any sandwich. GA is from Argentina, named after Mount Aconcagua. How it got here I don't know. I first purchased seeds from Tomato Growers Supply 15 years ago. There are several seed sellers that now have it available. As an extremely sweet pepper there is a zero on the Scoville scale. I have grown GA in Iowa and Nebraska so I don't know how the Texas heat would affect it. Very good choice...good luck.

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:36 pm

I've planted for 3 different years and seed and had all duds...

MikeUSMC
Reactions:

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Donnyboy wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 pmI'm hoping I can grow the Medusa peppers to replace the daisy's and add some color and variety to our decks. They supposedly have no heat so my wife should enjoy them. She doesn't like hot peppers.
If you're looking for some color to spruce up the deck, Donny, you might want to check out the Numex Twilight:
IMG_9502.JPG
Gorgeous pods that start out purple, then go to light green, to yellow, to orange, and finally ripen to red. They thrive in full sun (here in New England, anyway), and are very heat tolerant (can go a few days without being watered). They DO have some heat though. About 30-50K SHU; a little hotter than a cayenne. They taste like crap though, so you probably won't eat them anyway :lol: No flavor, and a bitter aftertaste. Beautiful to look at though! I grow a few in pots, in my front yard, every year :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meat & Fire & Whiskey & Repeat

roper2008
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:41 am

The Chinese five color is also a nice ornamental.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am

I grew it about 2 years ago and unfortunately I don't remember much about it other than the peppers were big. At least I don't remember anything bad.

Return to “Sweet Peppers”