Saving seeds

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Saving seeds

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:38 pm

I have never saved pepper seeds before. From a quick internet search, it sounds easier than tomato seeds. Just shake the seeds of fully ripe pepper onto a plate and let dry. Correct? I am trying to save Anaheim pepper seeds. For some reason those plants and seeds are not plentiful around here. Are all of these peppers OK to save seed from? I dropped and split the longest one by accident and seeds spilled everywhere, and I vacuumed them up because I just didn't want to take the time to pick them all up and save them, but I got the seeds that were left in it. I don't know what the brown ends on the others is, although I suspect lack of water. We have had very little rain and very hot temps here. But since I am not sure, is it OK to save seeds from them? Or should I wait for more to ripen? Also is the longest one ripe enough that I took the seeds from or should I only use peppers that have the blackish red color of the middle one? I have tons of these things growing, so I will have plenty more to choose from.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jwkJ8P]

rxkeith
Reactions:

Re: Saving seeds

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:49 pm

those peppers all look like they are ripe enough to save seeds from.
seed saving is as you describe, just scrape them on to a plate, and let them dry.
look the seeds over, and get rid of any rejects.

keith

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Thank you!

goodloe
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm

Yup, I let mine get ripe to the point that they get wrinkly and are starting to dry on the vine, but that's just me...I let them dry for about 2 weeks before I bag em.

btw, I have plenty of seeds for Prairie Spice, a pepper that we have been growing out over on another forum, if anyone would like some. It's a really wonderful pepper...hot, but the good, sneaky kind of hot that builds up. I ferment them to make hot sauce, both green and red. Just let me know...
20200628_153418.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:13 pm

I don't' know how hot those are, I stay on the mild side with Jalapeno's, Anaheim, Poblano, and maybe a few Serrano.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Unless you don't have any other peppers around, you should isolate the plant, or a small section of blossoms, before some open, to avoid crossing. Peppers cross easily, even though they self pollinate, as well. First year I saved seeds from peppers I found this out - 3 different kinds of peppers from one pepper! Other that that, pepper seeds are easy to save - just wait until ripe, and the seeds can be removed.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Did not know that. I will see what I can do. How far apart do they need to be to not cross pollinate do you think? Do I need to bag them? Never have bagged blossoms before. I could experiment on a pepper plant, I guess.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 pm

[mention]Sue_CT[/mention]

Peppers can be pretty far apart and still cross-pollinate (unless they're normally incompatible species), but they can be right next to each other and not cross-pollinate, too. If you want them to be true-to-type, I'd just recommend bagging the blossoms, personally (or only growing the types you want to cross). Crossed peppers can be nice, though, sometimes. It's one way to get better production, at times. I'm not sure how far apart they really need to be.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Pokemato
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:13 pm

goodloe wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm Yup, I let mine get ripe to the point that they get wrinkly and are starting to dry on the vine, but that's just me...I let them dry for about 2 weeks before I bag em.

btw, I have plenty of seeds for Prairie Spice, a pepper that we have been growing out over on another forum, if anyone would like some. It's a really wonderful pepper...hot, but the good, sneaky kind of hot that builds up. I ferment them to make hot sauce, both green and red. Just let me know...20200628_153418.jpg
I was showing this to my pepper-loving but non-gardening husband and he said he'd love to have some seed to try. Drop me a message letting me know what and where to send. Thanks!

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

goodloe wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:10 pm Yup, I let mine get ripe to the point that they get wrinkly and are starting to dry on the vine, but that's just me...I let them dry for about 2 weeks before I bag em.

btw, I have plenty of seeds for Prairie Spice, a pepper that we have been growing out over on another forum, if anyone would like some. It's a really wonderful pepper...hot, but the good, sneaky kind of hot that builds up. I ferment them to make hot sauce, both green and red. Just let me know...
More people will find your generous offer of this great pepper if you post this in the Seed Swap forum.
~ Patti ~

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:23 pm

I can't find a pepper by that name when I did a search to try to find out how hot it was. I only found Prairie Fire.

Return to “Hots and Superhots”