Capsaicin on hands—removing the pain

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Capsaicin on hands—removing the pain

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm @Shule when you said "have my reasons" for not wearing, my first thought, shule wants to build an immunity to pepper spray! I tell you now, don't do it, it won't work, they'll just resort to tasers! :P
Oh wow. I guess it pays to be specific! ;) I'd probably be intolerant to pepper spray no matter how many peppers I cut up. That stuff is said to be pretty potent, even compared to Carolina Reapers.

Whatever the case, I probably won't be cutting up mass amounts of hot peppers bare-handed again for a while, although I feel braver about it than when I made this post.

Do police use pepper spray? I thought that was a self-defense thing.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Here's the sweet pepper powder. We had a significantly larger bowl of sweet peppers, but they made less powder. I guess they have more air space inside them, due to being larger on average. It turns out, the powder is hot, after all! A pepper must have crossed with a hot one, or I must have put a hot kind in the sweet pepper bowl by mistake. It's very mild, though, but the heat lasts a while, somehow. It tastes and smells really good; I'm very pleased with that fact. The peppers smelled really good after dehydrating for a good while, too. I'm excited to use this stuff.

This powder is mostly from red peppers, but were a few green ones, and one orange one that probably would have ripened red given more time. I dehydrated and powdered most of the seeds, too. I dehydrated the peppers on 167° F. again, and they dehydrated quickly.

I didn't save any pepper seeds, this year. I plan to save a lot next year.
IMG_20200926_185912.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Years ago, just to see, a friend and I tasted the spray used by letter carriers, for dogs. It was slightly less than the heat of a Thai bird pepper - the one which we grew then was rated at 120k, but definitely hotter than the Thai dragon we had then, which was 80k. I guess they didn't want the oil to be damaging hot, but this I why some dogs weren't phased by it! If only I could have bottled my own!

Others in work said we were both nuts at the time.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 pm

The cops do on tv...but I don't know, hope to never find out! Surely different by jurisdiction.

So that jar is basically paprika? I never think paprika has much flavor, mostly color. If you put the seeds in, I'd expect some heat. Seems to me that even sweet pepper seeds have some heat. But of course a cross is very possible. I may make some yet this season if tastes that much better than store bought.

I dried and ground cayenne pepper and jalapeno, must have been 2 years ago. Still have some. I used a blade coffee grinder, nothing fancy. That dust can be potent. I came out with a few different "grades" of powder, some with seeds in, some not, some screen filtered. Still using it, a bit clumpy, but boy is it hot compared to a store bought spice jar of cayenne pepper.

You mentioned UV index high this year...it was very dry here as well. I thought that was the reason. Some of the jalapeno poppers are turning out very hot! The seed are jalafuego F2, so that might have something to do with it. It also may be that the HOT ones are more or less true to the F1 (large and hot jalapeno) and the others have lost some heat in comparison. It is funny though, I'll eat five in rather rapid succession and then the next might start the pain! One tonight was a rather small one that got stuffed, and it turned out to be a fireball.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:31 am

My son the rookie police officer as part of his training had to be tasered or is it tazed and sprayed with pepper spray. He thought the pepper spray was far worse. The pain and watery eyes lasted much longer with the pepper spray and I don’t believe he said they sprayed it directly in his eyes as part of the exercise.

Don’t know if there is different grades or strength of pepper spray.

I’ve got one hot pepper left in the garden with peppers, a tabasco pepper. I have not eaten any recently, but I use them whole in my pickled okra canning. Sometimes, I have to force them with my fingers into the spaces between the okra pods in the canning jars like I did yesterday. I’ve probably washed my hands at least a dozen times since the canning process and if I touch my eye now there is still a mild burn in the eye.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:25 am

Rub hands down with oil before handling.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:35 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention]
If you use sweet paprika like I do by the handful you will taste it big time.
I buy it by the pound.
I get the bright red stuff without any seeds.
There is no way on earth I could grow the amount of peppers hot or sweet I use in a years time.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:41 pm

Grocery store bought never tasted like much to me. How much per pound for sweet paprika? I do use a fair bit of smoked for some recipes. I think the sweet is called "sweet hungarian" at the mennonite store and the price break is probably 1 lb or maybe 2lb there. I'm in love with one of the girls there. We were talking scrapple the other day. I almost let her sell me 25lb of buckwheat flour.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:54 pm

On my god, been reading this thread recently. And just so happens was doing a Mediterranean roast veg with chillies from the garden. Went to remove a bit of sleepy dust from eye this evening - youch. So glad it was only apache chillies.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

stone
Reactions:

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:19 pm

I can't speak to the pepper burning my hands, but after cutting up ghost peppers, my allergies... itchy eyes, you know.... The good thing... I stop needing to rub them for a while!

We're not supposed to be touching our eyes...

Return to “Hots and Superhots”