Pepperoncini, does anyone grow it?

TLC333
Reactions:

Pepperoncini, does anyone grow it?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 pm

I bought some seeds this year because I want to grow these. However, the source doesn't seem completely trust worthy. Word of mouth says the seeds they bought never germinated. Anyway, does anyone grow these with success? Any tips? If I do end up with duds is there a good source for buying good seed or doesn't anyone here save any for future swaps?

Please and Thanks
SW Wyoming
Elevation: 6,706 ft
Zone: 4 to 5
High winds
Growing days: 90 to 110

Gardenboy
Reactions:

Re: Pepperoncini, does anyone grow it?

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:32 am

Yes, I grow the "regular" pepperoncini and the Greek variety as well. They like our hot summer and humid Spring weather. The seeds germinate a lot better when u get fresh seeds. I always have some available if you want some. Just send me a SASE for the seeds.

Vanman
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 am

I bought some Greek pepperoncini seeds at Wally World yesterday. We have never grown it before.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:25 am

I have tried a couple of types but the one I kept growing is an Italian pepperoncini with long thin peppers that ripen from pale green to red. Those came originally from West Coast Seeds. My seeds are a bit old though due to laying off peppers for a couple of years. I should grow them again.
Another excellent source for pepper seeds is Tradewinds Fruit. Great selection, good seed counts for the price, and their seeds are fresh with germination remaining good for me even after 3 years.
One thing that helps with pepper seeds is to soak them overnight before planting. I always do this and fresh seeds are up within a week. Older seeds may require patience even if you do soak them. They tend to come up when I've decided they're not coming ever. ;)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:40 am

I've grown the Italian, and Greek. Both are easy to grow, and very heavy producers. Both are easy to collect seeds from with success. As always with with peppers-- pepper seed having good germinating is a gamble. Anyone tells you that they have not failed to get good seed in their collecting, or purchased bad seed from a vendor? Then that person hasn't did much of either. Always use over kill on pepper seeds sowing, allow for the possibility of low germination. Sow every seed in that pack you bought, hoping to get a handful of plants. I've had failure by the best known seed vendors, and success by backyard collectors.
You may like your pepperoncini. I liked the heat range--but not the tough skin.

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:17 pm

I grew two kinds last year. One was cross-pollinated with a round pepper. They did all right. I don't have much to say, though; I've only grown them once. Well, I tried to grow Pepperoncini Greek Golden on a previous year, but it didn't sprout. I think the seeds got too cold for the variety (other peppers didn't seem to mind it so much). When I grew them again, from the same seed packet, I think, I took them in the house (from the greenhouse) on cold nights, and they sprouted.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

TomHillbilly
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Shule-- I assume you was growing Pepperoncini for eating straight from the plant, and pickling. That was my intentions, because they are extremely popular pickled. Its not a bad pepper. But Santa Fe Grande beat them out with me.
If you have never tried the Santa Fe, then think on it. SFG my first year had a lot of failure with vendor seeds. Had to order twice, only got a few plants. I collected my own seed, and had only 20% germination. Which was good enough for me. Last year I collected twice from nothing but red fully matured peppers. One batch had good germination. The other batch is dead ?? It is one of the more unpredictable seeds to deal with. I do all mine seed in wet paper towels. Only the tailed seeds get placed in starter soil. That takes a lot of guess work out of the equations on failures. I know if its the seed, or other factors. If its the seed, then it won't tail. If it can't become a 2 leaf, than its me or soil.

TLC333
Reactions:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:13 pm

Gardenboy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:32 am Yes, I grow the "regular" pepperoncini and the Greek variety as well. They like our hot summer and humid Spring weather. The seeds germinate a lot better when u get fresh seeds. I always have some available if you want some. Just send me a SASE for the seeds.
Thank you! I will more than likely take you up on that. I want to give these a chance first. Then I will let you know. Out of 5 people only one person got 1 single seed to germinate. That doesn't seem very hopeful. Maybe all the advice I've been given will give me better chances..... Maybe. 🤔 I'll be in touch.
SW Wyoming
Elevation: 6,706 ft
Zone: 4 to 5
High winds
Growing days: 90 to 110

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 pm

TLC333 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:06 pm I bought some seeds this year because I want to grow these. However, the source doesn't seem completely trust worthy. Word of mouth says the seeds they bought never germinated. Anyway, does anyone grow these with success? Any tips? If I do end up with duds is there a good source for buying good seed or doesn't anyone here save any for future swaps?

Please and Thanks
Putting it on a wish list can do wonders for acquiring it. ;)

Return to “Hots and Superhots”