Hemp topic?

Hemp, Cotton, Jute, Flax, Kenaf, Bamboo etc
Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Hemp topic?

Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:40 pm

worth1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am Enjoy it while it lasts because it won't be long.
Oh I totally agree. It is a bubble. I have seen this before in the stock market. Bubbles are not necessarily a bad thing, as long as one gets in and then gets out before it pops. And the getting in needs to be an all-in.

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Illinois went to legal weed Jan 1st, 2020, sold $10.8 million in 5 days.
The 2 dispensary closest to me (Springfield and Collinsville) were closed today because they ran out of products.
The lines were crazy (on the news). Bubble here too?

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm

pmcgrady wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:39 pm Illinois went to legal weed Jan 1st, 2020, sold $10.8 million in 5 days.
The 2 dispensary closest to me (Springfield and Collinsville) were closed today because they ran out of products.
No I dont think so, different animal.
There isn't a bubble with alcohol of any kind here in Texas and if there is I dont see it.
New high dollar hand crafted foo foo distilleries are popping up everywhere some aren't legal and it is over the top good.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Your fedgov have extended public comment period to Jan 29, on the contentious rules for hemp farming.
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-high-anxi ... ustry.html
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm

pmcgrady wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:39 pm Illinois went to legal weed Jan 1st, 2020, sold $10.8 million in 5 days.
Rumors are that unless you have your own Springfield lobbyists and have made some substantial campaign contributions, then the legal weed business is not for you. Corrupt government could only be a bubble if it stopped being that way...someday. I'm not holding my breath.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 am

We will know progress is being made when the fedgov legalizes it.
The new drug testing rules/paperwork we have to read and sign say illegal drugs state or federal now.
They didn't used to say that, they used to just say the former.
Worth

pmcgrady
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm

I see what in Illinois has 3 choices...
1) Cannabis
A Illinos Farmer can't grow it...
Big Pharma can
Big Companies can
Politicians can

2) CBD Hemp
Illinois Farmers can pay their permits
There is money made/ money lost
.3% THC may go to .15%...
Growing flowers...

3) Industrial Hemp
.15% and no CBD is ok... They want stalks
grown like corn...
The money isn't like CBD, but is steady...
HempCrete, HempWood, Paper, Clothes (mix with cotton) etc.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 am

I've seen pics of the legal cannabis growing operations in Canada - indoors, blue scrubs, bag on your head. Looks more like a pharmacy than a greenhouse. One of the approved companies is building a production facility locally. There will be jobs, but it looks about as far from the farmer's field experience as it gets.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 am

I tried to read the Colorado laws on driving under the influence of weed.
:?
Think about it the stuff is all over the charts as to potency.
If you aren't buzzing anymore can you still fail the blood test?
Over night good enough?
Police field sobriety test?
Many things to consider.
Worth

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:54 pm

I remember reading a piece of research out of the UK many years ago. They set up a driving course and measured the mistakes of three sets of drivers: sober, drunk, and stoned. The drunk drivers performed predictably badly, especially as they got drunker. But the only measurable difference in the performance of the stoned drivers was that they drove more slowly, more so after smoking more.

Of course driving too slowly can be dangerous in some circumstances, and we don't exactly want everybody on the road to be high, but the real reason that they can't come up with a roadside test for impairment is that there really isn't much of an impairment, at least in regard to the minimal skills required to drive.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:06 pm

pmcgrady wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm I see what in Illinois has 3 choices...
1) Cannabis
A Illinos Farmer can't grow it...
Big Pharma can
Big Companies can
Politicians can

2) CBD Hemp
There is money made/ money lost
.3% THC may go to .15%...
Growing flowers...

3) Industrial Hemp
.15% and no CBD is ok... They want stalks
grown like corn...
The money isn't like CBD, but is steady...
HempCrete, HempWood, Paper, Clothes (mix with cotton) etc.
The fiber farmers from Indiana I met talked about making a profit of $500 per acre. And they were happy with that, about double what corn or beans pull in, and more importantly, can be grown on marginal land in poor soil.

I don't have the cash in hand yet, so these are just estimates, but I am loading up about 400 of my 600 or so pounds to take to a processor. It takes forever to get paid in this business, but the processor will make isolate and split it with me. My half should be about $7500 worth of isolate. That is off of one half acre of hillside in a former cow field, land that no one ever saw as worthy of growing anything.

If I ever make the money I am supposed to make, I am hoping to sponsor at least a few local farmers by giving them seed or plants. I know so many struggling small farms from being a market vendor. These people are talented growers, but most of them can't afford a $500 license and a handful of seed that costs thousands of dollars. The profits in this business are going to dry up substantially in 2021 under the oppressive Fed rules. 2020 is the time to go all in.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:53 am

Right about the time I made the above post, the price of cbd isolate began crashing. It went from $7,000 a kilo to about $700. It is nearly down to the cost of production. Isolate makers are closing shop. Gen Canna, the industry behemoth, had begun building a huge isolate making facility. They stopped paying their contractors and got sued about 50 times as the project halted.

Part of what happened is simply more farmers getting into hemp and increasing supply. The other, larger problem is an incompetent/corrupt fda that simply refuses to issue clear rules on cbd. Large companies won't enter the cbd market without clarity in the law. As it stands now, they say a lot of cbd products are not ok, but they don't enforce any rules...until a company makes enough money to make it worthwhile to sue them and take their money.

I had booked an exhibitor spot at a hemp conference, planning to market hemp plants for sale, but covid 19 cancelled that. It looks like this year, I will just sit on most of my seed and only start enough plants for my field, about an acre and a half.

I am trying to make some contacts within our recreational/med mj industry. It is now legal in my state for hemp farmers to sell to dispensaries. There is still a bit of a market for smokeable hemp flower. However, the draconian new rules hang over all of our heads. When they take effect in november, unless some accommodations are made, every barn full of drying hemp will become a mountain of illegal cannabis. The absurdity is ridiculous.

Maybe a lot fewer farmers will grow hemp this year, lowering supply and giving prices a chance to rebound. I don't know if there will be any money at all in it this year, but I am still growing.
20200606_154546_20200608114828517.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:02 pm

I really wish you well with your crop [mention]Cole_Robbie[/mention] but I think that another part of the price crashing problem is that cbd oil was a fad. I tried it myself for arthritis pain and determined that it didn't work. I have a friend who also tried it and said that she quit using it for the same reason. I would guess that many people jumped on it when it first became available and then quit using it. I have seen very few internet ads lately when they used to be all over the place every time I logged in.

I have heard that medical marijuana is helpful for cancer pain but hopefully I will never have to find out it that works.

Good Luck with your crop.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm

It helps the appetite something I don't need.
Worth

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:15 pm

brownrexx wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:02 pm I really wish you well with your crop @Cole_Robbie but I think that another part of the price crashing problem is that cbd oil was a fad. I tried it myself for arthritis pain and determined that it didn't work. I have a friend who also tried it and said that she quit using it for the same reason. I would guess that many people jumped on it when it first became available and then quit using it. I have seen very few internet ads lately when they used to be all over the place every time I logged in.
Well that sounds like a challenge, lol. It's like when someone tells you they don't like tomatoes, but have only had them from the grocery store.

I will be happy to mail you some free samples of the oil and topical that I make. I can't say it works for everyone, but I do know there is tremendous variation in quality in regard to the products on the market. Some are mislabeled, some are isolate instead of full spectrum, and there are always sleazy companies with bad products. I put a lot of care into making mine and I know I do additional steps in the process that are not common, in an effort to maximize bioavailability.

And I don't want to sound like I am soliciting you or anyone else here. My only interest is converting a non believer :) Like giving someone their first heirloom tomato and changing their mind about tomatoes.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:19 pm

worth1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm It helps the appetite something I don't need.
I met a guy who lost over a hundred pounds by using cbd patches, but of course those results are unusual. That particular man likely had an imbalance of some sort in his body's endocannabinoid system, which can aftect hunger and weight gain.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 pm

I was talking about the good stuff not the CBD oil.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks for the offer [mention]Cole_Robbie[/mention] but I have gone back to taking prescription Celebrex. It works great and is covered by my insurance.

I am sure that your oil is better than most based on your comments. I looked at many brands before I bought mine and I see what you mean about differences. I bought a full spectrum one tested by a real lab and with a certificate of analysis. I looked up the address of one company and it looked like a T-shirt shop with a small testing area on a back counter. This was their "lab". I was amazed.

I also noted huge differences in purity.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:54 pm

That impurity can get you busted in some states.
Worth

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 pm

worth1 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:54 pm That impurity can get you busted in some states.
My state will start requiring product testing and labelling on January 1st, 2021. At that time they will also start requiring the product be made in a dedicated facility meeting food safety standards. But of course no such regulations will exist in neighboring states.

Return to “Growing Fiber Crops”