Hemp topic?

Hemp, Cotton, Jute, Flax, Kenaf, Bamboo etc
Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Hemp topic?

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:42 pm

20200722_181519.jpg
This is a volunteer plant that came up in the spot where I grew feminized seed last year. We left the fabric down over the winter and the seed sprouted in one of the plant holes. I haven't given it any care at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:55 pm

I love your dog hugs and kisses.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:10 pm

Resizer_15989041630410.jpg
Thanks. She is small for a gsd, so it makes my plants look bigger in the pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:00 pm

Awesome dog and good crop to guard! ;) How is the market looking for 2020?
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am

Bower wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:00 pm Awesome dog and good crop to guard! ;) How is the market looking for 2020?
Thanks, bower. There is still some market for smokeable cbd flower. It goes for about $100 per pound. Unfortunately, the government is cracking down and plans to set a ridiculously draconian limit on thc levels that will basically make the crop in the picture illegal by next year. Other countries set their thc limit at 1%, but ours is .3%. Small farmers and processors are being put out of business, just as foreign markets open up for hemp farming. Soon the cbd hemp will be grown and processed in Mexico or central America, then imported here and sold. Of course it is only large companies who have the capital to do so. They are probably behind the rule changes here, lobbying the small players out of business.

On a brighter note, cbg hemp has lower thc and will still be legal next year. Cbg wil be the next cannabinoid fad. It has similar properties to cbd. The plants are harder to grow, but I am learning. My plan is to plant all cbg next year.

I recently made a topical from the hemp roots. From what I read, they have been used medicinally for over a thousand years. I was stung on the hand by a wasp, and the topical made the swelling go away. The root topical seems to have a more penetrating effect than the topical I make from the upper part of the plant. Roots are cannabinoid free. It is other compounds in then that makes them work. The ones that are only in the cannabis root have for the most part never been studied scientifically.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 am

Very interesting about the roots!
That does sound like a ridiculous limit for THC. I doubt that 1% would do anything more than preventing the cbd from putting a person right to sleep (if that). I think you're spot on about the rule changes. It just makes it impossible to build your business, having to start from scratch seed. Obvious way to get rid of all but the biggest players.
Just looking at the labeled contents of a couple of commercial sativa types (legal in Canada) for comparison: the THC total is given as 17.3 and 18.4%. That is a very long way from 1%.
One really strange thing about the legal pot market in Canada, they have gone to extremes (it seems to me) to separate THC plants/products from CBD plants/products. Whereas I think the 'old fashioned' types had something of both. At least, I think the sativa types had a bit more CBD than 0%. One of the products cited above gives CBD total as" <0.07%" as if the point was to exclude it. Guess I am ignorant of the fine points? I know they market CBD product with as little THC as possible so people who are afraid/concerned about its effects are not excluded, but why the reverse?
I've never heard of Cbg before, either.
temperate marine climate

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:25 pm

I have one cbg variety going now, got clones from a friend. I have another cbg variety seeds in the mail, should arrive any day. Over the winter, I will cross the two of them to make my own f1 feminized seed for next year. It is just now that small quantities of cbg seed are available for purchase. The price is absurd, $60 us for 5 seeds. But I can make 50,000 out of those five. It still always feels like I am trading the family cow for magic beans.

Dispensaries here sell cbd bud labelled as a ratio of cbd to thc. 20:1 is the highest I have seen. Strong med/rec pot is 25 to 30% thc. Comparing that to my .6% cbd hemp is indeed absurd.

bjbebs
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:49 pm

"I will cross the two of them to make my own f1 feminized seed for next year."

You have a cbg strain from feminized seed that you want to cross with another cbg variety from feminized seed. Can you explain how you will introduce a male to make this cross. Will you self either of these 2 varieties or will you reverse a female to obtain pollen. Since you mentioned F1 and not S1, I'm assuming you will reverse a female and pollinate the other plant.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Yes, colloidal silver at about 100ppm will make a female plant produce male pollen sacs. The pollen is not as rich and virile as that of a true male, but it works, and the offspring will be female. There will always be a tiny chance of males still, but something well under 1%. It is environmental stress that is more likely to make a fem seed plant turn male. They really hate being rootbound, I have learned.

And I will likely end up with both a selfed variety and an f1 cross, just because it is easy to accomplish. I have the idea that a cross makes better seed due to having two gene pools to access, but that is just a theory.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Good for you Cole! You obviously know what you're doing and I like the math, for getting 50,000 seeds instead of 5.
Also I like your reasoning for making better seed.
You absolutely will increase your gene pool.
IDK about the genetic diversity within marijuana. Since there's a ton of variation in content of various secondary substances, I will assume there is a fair bit. So your mother plant is not like an OP tomato, homozygous for all genes. There would be quite a bit of heterozygosity, and that means every seed that you produce is in some way a bit different from the others. So all the 5 seeds you bought are in some way different from each other, even though they (probably) came from the same mother plant and maybe even with her own pollen production. Still there are small differences.
Will be interested to hear how your seed production goes this winter.
temperate marine climate

Kurt
Reactions:

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Kurt
Reactions:

Re: Hemp topic? Plus pina/ pineapple

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:58 pm

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:59 am

Pot Smoking Baby Boomers Are On The Rise, Why Are Scientists So Happy For Them? Hint: Benefits For The Aging Brain
Maureen Meehan
Sun, November 13, 2022 at 2:39 PM

As cannabis users get older and/or as weed consumption among seniors becomes more common (it has quadrupled in the past seven years!) a group of scientists honed in on this large demographic of pot-smoking baby boomers..and guess what? Their results suggest that the use of whole-plant cannabis does not have a negative impact on cognition. In fact, the opposite is true.

The study, done at the University of Colorado Boulder, examined the effects of cannabis use in adults aged 60 to 88 with no history of alcohol or other substance use disorder.

Gary Wenk Ph.D., a scientist not involved in the study, noted that while high THC levels can have negative effects on the adolescent brain, quite the opposite is true with older brains. Older cannabis users, relative to non-users, have significantly greater neuronal communication between the cerebellum and hippocampus.
Why? Age-related changes in the endocannabinoid system (ECS) include a decrease in the number of cannabinoid receptors throughout the brain. The ECS, a significant aspect of our human physiology that helps maintain homeostasis, is a complex cell-signaling system in the brain and body that interacts with just about all of our other body systems.

Decreased Number Of Cannabinoid Receptors Need Stimulation, Which Means...?
During normal aging, the decline in cannabinoid receptors correlates with increased levels of inflammation in these brain regions causing a loss of neurons in the hippocampus, which is critical for learning and memory. This, in short, explains age-related memory impairment.

Very Clever Of Nature
Wenk referred to his own laboratory studies that showed improved memory, decreased brain inflammation and increased hippocampal neurogenesis in older brains after the daily stimulation of cannabinoid receptors. “The potential benefits are important given that the cerebellum and hippocampus are highly vulnerable to the effects of aging. The hippocampus is stable until around age 50, at which point the hippocampus undergoes a rapid period of atrophy,” he wrote in Psychology Today, adding that hippocampus atrophy is consistent with mild cognitive impairment.

<snip>

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pot- ... 20303.html

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:04 pm

A few short years ago, there were no CBD stores in Nebraska. Then three suddenly opened to everyone's surprise. The owners got together and sued to stay open, saying the laws were not well defined and they didn't understand them. Hmm, they won and now there is a CBD store every few blocks with new ones opening all the time. It must be very profitable for all these shops to compete. I never see any activity but I'm seldom out evenings.

Very interesting article. I wish there was more guidance on cbd usage for those older than 55. Most of us pop a few pills and I doubt my primary doc would comment out of the box to discuss possible drug interactions.
Ditch weed randomly pops up in my garden and grows at least 5 feet tall or more unchecked. I've cut it down to avoid conflicts with neighbors. Maybe I should take it out of the leaf bag and dry it among my cut flowers if it comes back next summer :?

- Lisa

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:36 am

I was recently in New Mexico and like their neighbor to the north, Colorado, New Mexico has now legalized recreational marijuana. Stores selling products are popping up all over.

Tobacco or the nicotine in it is, I’ve read, supposedly somewhat protective against acquiring Parkinson’s disease. Wouldn’t surprise me if THC or some other active ingredient of Hemp has similar beneficial effects on the aging brain. Seems like a lot more study is warranted for possible benefits from a wide range of compounds made in living green plants.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Kurt
Reactions:

Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:04 pm

29E07023-7720-4686-8D62-10B585E99D01.jpeg
These are the clones of the 8/9 footers out back.For the people who enjoy a nice smoke as I.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:30 am

More and more employees can't pass 10 panel drug screen due to Marijuana.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:01 am

A healthier new to me way of smoking. I knew about vape pens but I thought they were for smoking some kind of extract. I didn't know until a few days ago about dry herb vaporizers. It seems they have been around for at least twenty years. I don't know when they became more prevalent.

Vaporizing weed instead of burning is healthier on the lungs because it does not release the carcinogens that combustion does. There are a lot of popular battery powered dry herb vaporizers. These vaporizers use weed in its natural form just like one uses in a pipe or a joint. You will need a grinder to get the weed at good consistency for vaporization.

I did a little research and decided on a convection vaporizer with a replaceable battery. I did a little research on the 18650 batteries and found all? manufactures recommend not for use in vaporizers. I did a little more research and discovered there is a risk of explosion with lithium ion batteries. I did a little more research and found the risk is very low if used properly with name brand batteries and vaporizers from reputable dealers. So I placed an order for an XVAPE XLUX Roffu Vaporizer from Grasscity for $140. Cheaper and more expensive ones are available.

Now while waiting for the vaporizer I discover desk top vaporizers that plug into a standard 120 AC wall outlet and don't use a battery. The Volano Hybrid a German made dry herb vaporizer is considered top of the line but runs about $600!! I settled on an Arizer XQ2 Vaporizer from Planet of the Vapes for $160. After placing that order I discovered the ARIZER V-TOWER for less than $80. The XQ2 is their latest model and comes with a fan so you can fill a balloon or use a whip (smoke through an attached tube). I am not sure I need a balloon. Fill the balloon and pass it around or sit back in your chair and smoke the vapor from the balloon.

The heating element in conduction dry herb vaporizers is in direct contact with the weed. The heating element in convection dry herb vaporizers use a little fan to pass the hot air from the heating element to the weed.

Different types of weed components vaporize at different temperatures. The better vaporizers have continuous temperature controls.

This is all new to me but I have spent the last couple of days researching dry herb vaporizers.

This is a record for my longest post.

zeuspaul
Reactions:

Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Desktop Vaporizers vs Portable Vaporizers - Key Differences

Mert Gokceimam
mert@grasscity.com

Expanding your smoking arsenal can be tricky when there are so many options and features to consider before investing in the right tools. Take it from us, our webstore here at Grasscity.com has 208 different vaporizers to choose from!

In the recent years dry herb vaping has quickly become the safest and most affordable way to consume cannabis. Like something out of your favorite Sci-Fi TV Show, vape technology is different from using a bong or smoking a joint as a specially designed heating element heats up the cannabis creating a rich vapor rather than combusting it. This means less harm to your lungs and also enhancing the taste as there is no burned plant matter or ash present.

We’ve written a variety of articles that dig deep into what makes certain vapes better than others. But before you get to to reading those, you’re first going to have to decide between desktop and portable vaporizers. In this article we will go over what makes each type great so that at the end hopefully you’ll feel confident making that choice.

1. On the subject of Portability
The biggest and most obvious difference between desktop and portable vaporizers is

<snip>
https://www.grasscity.com/blog/post/6-k ... vaporizers

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:22 pm

I blazed along with some dope smokers back in the day. My college roommate smoked every day as far as I could tell and is a gazillionaire now. No way did THC effect his ambition or talent.

I still prefer ethanol to THC as ethanol produces more predictable results, not that dope can’t produce some amazing results also.

I’m all for caffeine, nicotine, THC, ethanol and others used in appropriate circumstances and the rest, but being a slave to any of it isn’t so great.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Growing Fiber Crops”