Seed organizing

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Re: Seed organizing

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm

I forgot to say that in my tomato seed table, I highlighted each color name by the corresponding highlight color.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:20 pm

[mention]WoodSprite[/mention]

Yes I am asking mostly about tomato seeds. Not the storage for them, I already have that part handled, coin envelopes with a plastic tray they fit nicely into.
What I am looking for is ways to keep track of what I have. i e spread sheet, note books or some other way.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 am

[mention]eyegrotom[/mention], this is a section of the spreadsheet I use to track stuff. I do one for each spring and each fall on separate tabs. You can put as much or as little as you want in a spreadsheet.

Color coding is handy. Orange indicates fall planted things. Green means the plants have been started. They used to be yellow meaning the start date was soon. It's just a way of reminding me what's next and to pay attention! HIghlighting some things in red print is also useful

I like the ability to add those red triangle notes. Those are usually used in the "1st Pick" column where I calculate how long it took from both seeding and transplanting (if that applies) dates. There's also a wide column to the right off screen for additional notes.

Down below the veggies is a separate section for herbs and another section for flowers. Spreads are the most handy way I've found to track things. After each season is done I print out its spread and put it in a binder so just in case something happens to the computer the info isn't lost.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:12 pm

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:02 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 am @eyegrotom, this is a section of the spreadsheet I use to track stuff. I do one for each spring and each fall on separate tabs. You can put as much or as little as you want in a spreadsheet.

Color coding is handy. Orange indicates fall planted things. Green means the plants have been started. They used to be yellow meaning the start date was soon. It's just a way of reminding me what's next and to pay attention! HIghlighting some things in red print is also useful

I like the ability to add those red triangle notes. Those are usually used in the "1st Pick" column where I calculate how long it took from both seeding and transplanting (if that applies) dates. There's also a wide column to the right off screen for additional notes.

Down below the veggies is a separate section for herbs and another section for flowers. Spreads are the most handy way I've found to track things. After each season is done I print out its spread and put it in a binder so just in case something happens to the computer the info isn't lost.
This is why I hate spread sheets. One item in, and I have to go searching for THAT asparagus.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:02 pm This is why I hate spread sheets. One item in, and I have to go searching for THAT asparagus.
That's funny! :lol:

I also have separate spreadsheets for the seed "vault" contents in the freezer, weather data, treatments (fert, spray, etc) done in the garden, etc. There's no way I can remember all this stuff! :D

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:57 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 am @eyegrotom, this is a section of the spreadsheet I use to track stuff. I do one for each spring and each fall on separate tabs. You can put as much or as little as you want in a spreadsheet.

Just wishing I had the time to do something like this 🤢👍

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks [mention]eyegrotom[/mention]. This is the first page of my old seed list (with people's last names and email addresses made unreadable for their privacy).
Tomato List.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. I am leaning towards using a spread sheet of some sort. I just hope that I can figure out how to do it, as I don't have a lot of computer skill.

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am

GoDawgs wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Tormato wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:02 pm This is why I hate spread sheets. One item in, and I have to go searching for THAT asparagus.
That's funny! :lol:

I also have separate spreadsheets for the seed "vault" contents in the freezer, weather data, treatments (fert, spray, etc) done in the garden, etc. There's no way I can remember all this stuff! :D
I know exactly what you mean, and why I had to start a database. :-)
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

AZGardener
Reactions:

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:26 am

eyegrotom wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm Thanks for all the ideas. I am leaning towards using a spread sheet of some sort. I just hope that I can figure out how to do it, as I don't have a lot of computer skill.
You might want to try the one I posted a link for. You can make it as simple or detailed as you like. I use it with Open Office, but you can also
use it with MS Office if you use a PC.
On the download page he also has a video showing how he uses it, and that may be helpful to you as well.
I kept mine pretty simple, and keep a notebook Where I write down planting/growing information.
HTH
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

KathyDC
Reactions:

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:23 pm

I have a shoebox with larger ziploc bags, one for each letter of the alphabet. I have individual seeds in separate smaller ziplocs that go in the bigger bags, and alphabetized. Then I have a spreadsheet with each variety that I have on hand, where I got it from, what year it's saved from, any details about its growth habits and whether I've grown it before. That's about it! My shoebox is very much bulging even though I gave away a lot of seed earlier this year.

asmx92
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:38 am

I have a messy system. The most of my kinds I have in my head.
Than I have 2 cupboards full.

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:11 pm

lovely, saw the franchi seeds there too :-)
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:27 pm

[mention]asmx92[/mention] oh my what a seed collection !!

lee53011
Reactions:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:05 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention] Any chance you could send me a copy of that spreadsheet?

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:28 pm

lee53011 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:05 pm @MissS Any chance you could send me a copy of that spreadsheet?
I can try but it won't be very soon. The computer that it is on has gone dead on me. I don't know exactly when I will take it in for repair.

I will say that it is easy to create the format. It is just a spreadsheet. The first colum is the name. B - is for my personal use. C - Year of the seeds grown. D - Source. E - Color F - Description G - Notes
~ Patti ~

lee53011
Reactions:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 pm

[mention]MissS[/mention] Actually, I was more interested in all the information on each variety you have!

Rockoe10
Reactions:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Google sheets is really nice. Don't have to "send" anything. Just share the link.

I also use open office, but i end up copy/paste everything into Google Sheets anyway.
- - - - - - - -
Rob, ZONE 6A with 170 days between frost dates, Western Pennsylvania

TLC333
Reactions:

Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 am

I also do the binder method. I alphabetized by basic name squash, tomato, bean, pea etc. Then after the most recent swap since my binders are now 3 and counting I have the corresponding spread sheet. This gives me the deeper info like size, shape, color etc. Works for now. Keeps stuff organized and easy to store for the winter on a shelf in my shed.
SW Wyoming
Elevation: 6,706 ft
Zone: 4 to 5
High winds
Growing days: 90 to 110

Return to “Seed Saving Methods, Tips & Discussion”