Amish Three Bean Salad

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Amish Three Bean Salad

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm

Pickles is in canning mode. Today she put up eleven half pints of this Amish three bean salad we like using some of the first green beans I picked. Also in it are kidney and garbanzo beans along with onion, green peppers, celery etc. It's an overnight marination and then water bath. Good stuff!

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: Amish Three Bean Salad

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Yum! I LOVE 3-bean salad!

Linda

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Forgot the recipe! Easy peasy.

Pickled Three Bean Salad

Makes 3 pints or 6 half pint jars

1 ½ cups fresh green or yellow beans
1 ½ cups canned red kidney beans, drained
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained
½ cup onion, thinly sliced
½ cup celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
½ cup sliced green peppers
½ cup 5% white vinegar
¼ cup bottled lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups water
¼ cup oil
½ tsp pickling or canning salt

Wash and snap off ends off fresh beans. Cut into 1” to 2” pieces. Blanch 3 minutes then cool immediately. Rinse and drain kidney beans a second time. Prepare remainder of vegetables.

In a large pot, combine vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add oil and salt and mix well. Add vegetables and return to heat; bring to a simmer. Pour into a large bowl to cool, cover and refrigerate 12-14 hours so vegetables have time to marinate.

After marinating, return the vegetables and marinade to the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Fill pint or half pint jars with vegetables and then ladle hot cooking liquid over the top, leaving ½” head space.

Process in a hot water bath, half pints or pints for 15 minutes at 0 to 1000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1001 to 6000 feet altitude; 25 minutes above 6000 feet

From the Amish Canning Cookbook, p. 91

Personal Notes:
We use one can of red kidney beans and one can of garbanzos so that there’s nothing left over. An ice bath is used to chill beans immediately after blanching. We do the prep and marinating in the evening so that canning can be done the next day.
This recipe is fine doubled, making 10 to 11 half pints, as a half pint is a good size as part of a meal for two people.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:07 am

My mom's recipe is very similar, but there's celery seed in the boiled dressing part, and that gives it the celery flavor instead of fresh.
Bean salad is great stuff. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:20 pm

I love three bean salad too but there are so many foods I love I cant eat all of them from a day to day deal or even remember to eat them.
Even if I went to once a year it wouldn't cover them all.
There ain't a whole lot of foods I dont like and not a picky eater, I just want it prepared properly.
If someone offers it up to me I will eat it graciously unless I am paying them to do it or they are being paid to do it.
Yours looks fantastic and I bet it is good too.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”