Yes, we're still doing tomatoes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

EdieJ
Reactions:

Re: Tomato Processing/Canning Advice Needed

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:48 am

So are we. The best part of freezing as opposed to canning is we don't have to wait until there's a big batch ripe. If I get a few that need something done with them immediately I can easily toss them in a bag and into the freezer.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 am

Roasted sauce is great. Everyone needs to try that at least once. If you only have one batch of tomatoes left now, try a small batch of roasted. I can or freeze that too. It always comes down to climate and environment, in this case, the kitchen space. For here, our wall oven is old and pain to use, so we use a convection oven for everything. Either oven heats the house when it is already too hot in August. For a stovetop cook down, the pots are tramontina, and don't stick or take much babysitting on Low. You just need a few small bubbles, until it thickens and then is time to add work with it. For roasted I use our first identical but earlier version convection oven that I repaired, and use that outside. It only one fits one big aluminum roaster, and when that cooks down, there are only a few quarts of sauce. That sauce gets milled and canned or frozen afterward. Canned cooks it further and thins it, but canned or frozen are both good. The roasted sauce makes for some amazing sausage sandwiches.

This looks like the page on tv that I learned to make roasted sauce from. But the sett link is dead. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.p ... sted+sauce I don't have the recipe on this PC but I'm sure I can find my copy; if anyone wants it, I'll can dig it out.

I bought my first food strainer for this sauce, a foley style from Bed bath...it was NOT for me, manually clearing the waste, and BBB gave me full price back. Soon after, got the victorio and found an original foley mill a couple years later for 25 cents at a yard sale! That gets used very seldomly...a mill that separates the waste out is the way to go for me.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:21 pm

[mention]JRinPA[/mention], besides myself, I am sure there are others who would be interested in the recipe if you can find it.

[mention]Bower[/mention], when you mention leaving the final product in the oven for liquid to evaporate, is that with the door closed or open? I am interested in trying this and later running it through a food mill to make a spaghetti sauce.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Geez um my typing is getting hard to read....where are the grammar police when you need them? Maybe it is this gray forum color. I don't seem to see my typing errors before posting here. I will look for that tonight. Basically skin up tomatoes on top, peppers, basil and spices underneath so they don't burn. I'll look, I may end up using the recipe next week for my last sauce cook.

bower
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:32 pm

[mention]pondgardner[/mention] I leave the oven door closed and just let it continue to cook a bit on the heat already in there, and pay it no more attention until the next day. Doing the same in my countertop oven too. I have often left it until the afternoon or evening of the next day, so anywhere from 12 to 20 hours of ignoring it while the magic happens.
I don't pay attention to orientation or amounts of anything - tomato quarters or chunks any side up, sprinkle of evoo, grate in some garlic (but it could be whole cloves, why not) sprinkle in dried basil, oregano, and/or thyme or fresh minced rosemary whatever is handy and available, dash of pepper. I don't usually salt this for some unknown reason, but a dash of salt would do. Then toss em a bit and pick a pan to suit the amount - as long as it fits in the oven. ;) I don't often have fresh basil in large amounts so I save it for fresh eating or dry it before cooking with it, but I think JR is right, it is best to cover it or it may burn.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:59 pm

Boom, found it still hosted online.
I found it by web searching a quote from my printout, "It's an easy way to turn your excess tomato harvest into a tasty". Actually, a copy of the recipe is in page 2 of that thread above. But no pics. My printouts have pics.
Suze's Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
https://www.theunconventionaltomato.com ... ato-sauce/

Bonus Material!
My notes over the years include:
8/27/14 batch#1 75% Roma
8/27/14 batch#2 75% Early Girls+Big Beefs
(with no feedback later on which was better, of course)
Used 1 anaheim, 1 jalapeno 1 red (chilli?) pepper [no typo it is written (chilli?) ]
7lbs tomatoes in each
1/3 o.o.

8/12/15 batch#1
8lbs cherry+brandywine
2 jalapeno
1 serrano
no salt
8/12/15 batch#2
8lb estiva+big beef
2 jalapeno
1 habanero
1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
8/17/15 12# brandywine
1 jalapeno
2 anaheim
1 Tbsp kosher
yield 8 cups thick
(ONCE AGAIN NO RECORDED FEEDBACK ON TASTE!)

We have made it multiple times since, every year I believe, but no detailed ingredients.

Last year I made a key for how to mill and can different sauces...and I actually referred to it this year! Progress!

2019 tips:
Roasted Sauce
Put the tomatoes on top, peppers beneath.
2 passes with Victorio, none with Juicer.
25 minutes for pints.
Don't can with oil - taste changes (slightly burny)
Either freeze with oil or roast w/o olive oil if canning.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:46 am

I just harvested these a few hours ago. Hopefully we'll get 14 quarts of canned tomatoes from them. Edit: We got 19 quarts from those two bowls.

The lighting isn't the best for my camera in this picture; so they look a lot more pink and less red than they are.
IMG_20200911_013518.jpg
I've got some Amana Orange tomatoes to save seeds from (not pictured). I'm pretty excited about that. I hope to chance upon an incidental Amana Orange x Napoli (or vice versa) cross one of these years. Amana Orange's taste and texture in a prolific paste would be amazing. I'm not really sure what Amana Orange tastes like cooked, though, but it's firm and meaty enough for a good sauce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

ponyexpress
Reactions:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:08 am

I will have to try roasting some this year. In the summer, I use my Weber 1000 gas grill with pizza stone as my oven. Works great to keep the heat out of the house. It’s awesome for making pizzas as it can easily get over 650.

I still have tomatoes to harvest but they are winding down.

I use a pressure canner because I like that I don’t heat up a lot of water and it’s a quick process. I have an outdoor camp stove from Tejas Smokers so again, I keep the heat outside.
0EC9BE17-EA14-4D44-AF5E-8687CD6FE16F.jpeg
Here is my outdoor kitchen in action.
F6E628CF-5BB2-4113-A282-720DF0557550.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”