canning soup in the midst of the corona virus outbreak

Clkeiper
Reactions:

canning soup in the midst of the corona virus outbreak

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:33 am

My daughter is a very good shopper.Since she works in a grocery store it happens to be that she sees great deals before many other people and especially before me. Home made soup is so much better than store bought canned soup any day of the week. what do they do to make it so disgusting?

she brought me home stew meat a few months ago and I put it in the freezer. so yesterday I got it out and browned it up. and filled enough jars to fill a canner.
the ratios can be anything you want it to be. this is just what I use.
meat browned and enough to fill the jars about 1/4 full. Whether you are using pints or quarts just adjust.
peeled and cubed potatoes fill to 3/4ths line (raw pack these)
mixed frozen vegetables if that what you have or fresh. whatever works for you. I find a large bag of frozen mixed vegetables the easiest to work with. finish filling the jars (raw pack)
beef bouillon (about 2 quarts for quart jars) top the jars with the broth to within and inch of the top.
place in your canner and follow their instructions for water in the bottom
process for 90 minutes
happy and tasty eating while you stay home.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Re: canning soup in the midst of the corona virus outbreak

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 am

Doing the same, just pulled 2 turkeys from the freezer to make some soup.
Cooked the turkey, stripped meat, pressure cooked carcass, working on the 2nd turkey now.
Just bummed I have no celery, and I'm not going to any store.
I'll just use celery seed.
Probably can the soup tomorrow.

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am

I had her bring home celery but then I didn't use it. If you were closer I would give it to you.. I will do some more canning later today probably. no point in not having it ready to eat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:04 am

There's nothing like good old home canned soup. Pickles put up another batch of bean soup the other day from the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. It's really good! And it's such a quick fix for when you don't feel like cooking. We also like to put up pork cubes in various sauces when pork butt goes on sale. It's the basis for great quick burritos or other.

Happy canning!

Shule
Reactions:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Well, I don't know that I think it's digusting (I like pretty much all tomato soup), but the store-bought canned soup is in tin cans that are lined with probably xenoestrogens to prevent the tin from corroding. They probably age for a long time before they finally get sold, too. I imagine all that can impact the flavor! Just being canned in a metal can can, too. The heat at which they can it also could make a big difference. They probably use fairly acidic tomatoes, too, if you don't like that.

On top of that, I imagine they could add enzymes and other things that don't strictly have to be listed in the ingredients.

Also, some tomato varieties more naturally have that tomato soup taste. So, it could just be the variety of the tomatoes they use.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 am

after eating homemade soup the canned stuff is just salty. there is no flavor to it. I don't do tomato soup or tomatoes cooked most often so I am not going to comment on anyones opinion of whether it is about the tomato varieties or length/temperature it was canned ... I just have not found any commercially canned soup to be tasty.
but it would be an easy share to a neighbor or friend who needs a meal no matter what is inside the jar.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:38 am

Look at the sodium content of soup and it is about double that in salt.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Just finished 7 quarts yesterday, happy camper. Gonna start the Kraut next week after a 2 week ferment.

Return to “Water Bath and Pressure Canning.”