Sprouted Rye bread

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sprouted Rye bread

Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm

ImageRye bread, with sprouted rye flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

OMG that bread smells good!!

I'm baking a type of bread for the first time - using something I have not made before: sprouted rye flour. First, I sprouted the rye, then dehydrated the sprouts, then ground them into flour.
ImageRye berries started sprouting 5-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye berries sprouting, after just about 8 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSprouted rye, ready to put into the dehydrator, after just 32 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread that I'm baking started with a soaker, in which the rye sprout flour is soaked overnight with some salt and the buttermilk, as the liquid. A biga is made with a small amount of yeast, plus some water and white bread flour, and that is refrigerated overnight. These are combined the following day, with more yeast, salt, rye flour, and molasses, to make the final dough.

I didn't use any WW flour, just to get the flavor of the sprouted rye, with little to mask it. Now I'm making some sprouted wheat flour - even more of that. I bought 25 lbs each of rye and hard white wheat berries, since I didn't want to go to my usual places to get my whole grain flours. It's been a while since I used my grain mill - I've used the Vitamix for making smaller amounts of flours now for years, but the Nutrimill is better for larger amounts.

The wheat sprouted slower, but it's in the dehydrator now. I started with 6 c of berries - I'll see what that results in.
ImageAbout half of my sprouted wheat, after 28 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSprouted wheat, after 28 hours, around 10 am Monday - slower than the rye berries. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWheat sprouts, being put in the dehydrator, around 2:00 pm Tuesday. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Sprouted Rye bread

Tue May 19, 2020 10:33 pm

Wow. That looks like a fantastic bread.
~ Patti ~

Return to “The Bakery”