WW bread with sprouted wheat flour

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

WW bread with sprouted wheat flour

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Starting last night, I made a large loaf of WW bread, with 30% of that sprouted wheat I made, just to see if it adds a similar flavor that the fresh wheat sprouts gives. I based it on an overnight WW recipe in Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads, which is started with a soaker (just WW flour, with some water or buttermilk left at room temperature) and a biga, which is just some WW flour, water, and a small amount of yeast, mixed, and refrigerated overnight.
ImageSoaker on top, and biga on bottom, for WW bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The next day, the biga and soaker are broken up, and put in the KitchenAid bowl, and the remaining ingredients are added.
ImageNext morning, the remaining ingredients added to the soaker and biga. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAll of the ingredients mixed together with the paddle, in the Kitchen Aid. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSwitched to the dough hook, to knead the dough 6 to 7 minutes more. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWW dough, ready to rise 60 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen dough by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough ready to cover, and rise about 45 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWW loaf, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWW bread, with 30% WW sprout flour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSlice of the WW bread, with the sprout flour in it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread is very good, but I don't notice any of that flavor I get in the bread in which I put fresh wheat sprouts in - 1/4 c dry berries, sprouted for a couple of days, and put in bread made with 6 c WW flour. I'll have to toast it, and see if that gets that flavor. Still, the sprouted wheat flour does give a lot of nutrients to the bread.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Bakery”