Dakota Bread

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
BettyC-5
Reactions:

Dakota Bread

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:32 pm

I have made this bread quite a few times. It is in a cook book from American's Test Kitchen, and I also found it when I did a Google search so I won't list it here. It's very easy to find. It has lots of seeds and grains in it. The only thing I do differently is use hot water and let the grain soak until it cools to warm, so I don't kill the yeast. Very worth trying. I use my stand mixer to do the mixing.
:)

peebee
Reactions:

Re: Dakota Bread

Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Just saw this and looked up Dakota bread and it looks delish! I watch the shows, too bad no video appears but I'll do more searching.
Betty, have you tried this with plain flour? I'd have to make an extra shopping trip to buy bread flour.
Thanks.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:46 am

peebee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:52 pm Just saw this and looked up Dakota bread and it looks delish! I watch the shows, too bad no video appears but I'll do more searching.
Betty, have you tried this with plain flour? I'd have to make an extra shopping trip to buy bread flour.
Thanks.
Just my opinion but I have found it very important to keep bread flour on hand.
I don't even have all purpose flour in the house at this time.
Plain or all purpose flour is a blend of cake flour and bread flour.
Cake flour comes from a soft wheat and bread flour comes from a hard wheat.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

peebee
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:15 pm

Worth what brand bread flour do you use? Years ago I could find Ralph's (aka Kroger) brand at the same price as their all purpose flour. Then the bread flour disappeared now all they have are brands like Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur etc and last time I looked they were well over $5 a bag. I know these are excellent brands but for my first foray in years into bread baking I didn't want to spend that much in case I fail.
I used to buy gluten powder to add to regular flour but now those little bags are $9.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:27 pm

peebee wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:15 pm Worth what brand bread flour do you use? Years ago I could find Ralph's (aka Kroger) brand at the same price as their all purpose flour. Then the bread flour disappeared now all they have are brands like Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur etc and last time I looked they were well over $5 a bag. I know these are excellent brands but for my first foray in years into bread baking I didn't want to spend that much in case I fail.
I used to buy gluten powder to add to regular flour but now those little bags are $9.
I use the HEB store brand bread flour for half the price or more than King Arthur or Bobs Red mill flour.
$2.44 for a 5 pound bag, just got one today.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:30 pm

013.JPG
peebee--I don't remember using all purpose flour, but I'm going to try it next time. I made a loaf yesterday and am a little disappointed with it. Very heavy and I don't think I baked it long enough. And I need some new yeast. Took a long time for dough to rise. I only used a scant cup of 8-grain cereal, it seems the more you use the heavier it gets. I generally buy Gold Medal flour. Also I am going to make 2 loaves instead of one and maybe put one in a loaf pan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:)

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:49 pm

Oh my gosh does that look good!

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 pm

Nice bread Betty! I'm surprised that just one cup of grains would make it that heavy, unless it was made with WW flour, too. Even AP flour is ok, when that's the only flour used. I do have bread flour all the time, and probably use more of it than AP, because I make a lot of rye breads. I often add some gluten, when there is a lot - over 50% - of rye flour in the bread.

Though I rarely shop there, Walmart has the best price around here for bread flour - Gold Medal brand, well under $3 a bag, and also GM WW flour, for under $3, also. No place else has anything that cheap here.

Funny you should mention the old yeast - I just mentioned that as a problem to someone on another forum, trying to fugure out why the dough didn't rise in a recipe they had made. I told them that even though I keep it refrigerated, after a year or so, my yeast is starting to slow down, so I measure out a little more, when using the last of it. When I get a new pound bag of it, the difference is incredible!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 am

I'm going to have to try this bread. It looks really good.

I bake all the bread used here and buy bread flour in the 25 lb bag at Sam's for $7.48 (.30/lb). The last time I bought yeast it was the Saf brand in a one pound bag and I keep it in the freezer. It lasts forever that way with no problems at all. Much less expensive than buying those strips of little packets. Actually the last time I bought yeast it was online and they had a two-pack for about a dollar more than a single bag. That was ages ago and the yeast is still fine in the freezer!

Return to “The Bakery”