Sourdough bread

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sourdough bread

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:28 am

Any sourdough bakers here? Sourdough used to be something that was hit or miss for me - either it didn't get much flavor, or was too sour, and once in a while it would come out just right, but I couldn't figure out what I had done different! lol Now, I use a firm sourdough starter, which works better for me, though with a milder flavor. And the firm starter is much harder to kill - this batch I hadn't used for at least 6 months, yet it only took two "refreshments" to get it back to normal, to use for this recipe. I think that the liquidy starters that I tried, through the years, got so alcoholic during non-use that some types of the organisms would be killed off, while the resistant varieties were all that was left, so the balance was off.This doesn't seem to happen with the firm starters.

This is only 40% whole grain - KAF white WW, plus a small amount of rye, plus some artisan white flour, and the white bread flour in the starter.
Image2020-01-23_10-50-50 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirm sourdough levain, after rising 12 hours, overnight. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough mix, after autolyse, ready to mix with salt, and levain. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough, after kneading 7 min. in mixer, ready to rise for 5 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTurning the dough, after 1 hour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDough, after rising 5 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRound loaf, formed with half of the dough. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageLoaves ready to rise 4 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen loaf, slashed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRound Loaf, risen and slashed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBaked loaves, ready to remove from the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Sourdough bread

Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Now that's a thing of beauty.

akgardengirl
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:23 pm

I just made a whole grain sourdough with organic sprouted spelt and kamut. I've played around with sourdough for many years but only made waffles and pancakes. I got into sourdough bread baking a little more seriously after taking a couple of classes from a neighborhood bakery and learning some good basics. I find it meditative to bake sourdough and I always make 2 loaves, one to keep and one to give away to friends.

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:44 pm

I don't really worry too much about the starter aside from keeping it clean. I'm lazy so I only feed the starter one or two day before making the dough. Otherwise I feed it once a week. I rather let dough ferments longer, than to need having a very strong starter to ferment quickly.

This is how I do mine which is convenient for my schedule:
-Make the dough at 9pm.
-Let it ferment in the fridge for 24hrs.
-Take it out, do a little folding and shaping, put in banneton, put back in fridge for overnight.
-Next day, take dough out for about 3 hours for it to fully rise. Or how ever long needed, but not so long it's not past the peak rise and become too soft and lose it's shape.

Because my oven temperature is sometimes 100*F less than the actual reading, I use high temperature:
-Preheat oven to 550*F
-Bake first 20 min at 550*F
-Then reduced to 400-450*F for the rest depending on how dark you want the crust.

I put the dough inside the liner cloth that came with the banneton, as the dough doesn't stick to it as much. Meaning you don't have to sprinkle too much flour onto the dough's surface as that can reduce the rising ability and make the crust too hard.
Last edited by maxjohnson on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Agghh filled with guilt!! A friend who makes amazing sourdough gave me a bit of his starter. My ambition got sidetracked.... It's been sitting in the fridge for weeks. Am I going to be able to revive it? What to do? :oops:

Your bread looks awesome btw. :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

maxjohnson
Reactions:

Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Bower wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm Agghh filled with guilt!! A friend who makes amazing sourdough gave me a bit of his starter. My ambition got sidetracked.... It's been sitting in the fridge for weeks. Am I going to be able to revive it? What to do? :oops:

Just check there is no mold and such. The surface will be grayish though which is normal. Just remove the top half of the contents, add equal weight of water and flour so that after thorough stirring the consistency is like pancake batter. Not too watery, but not too stiff. If it's very weak, you can wait two days before feeding again. Will probably take several feedings to become strong again. I only feed mine once week when I'm not baking.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm

I just finished baking my two loaves of sourdough bread, around 12:30 am! Hard to tell how those kind are going to make you wait.
ImageSourdough rye dough, ready for next to last rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageLate night rye bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:38 pm

Here's a delicious aroma to have, when stuck in the house - bread!

3 sourdough rye loaves, that I started 3 days ago.
ImageSourdough rye loaves by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Clkeiper
Reactions:

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:14 pm

oh my, those rye loaves look fabulous!

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:14 am

Yes they do.
How is the crumb?
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:21 pm

The crumb is fairly fine - it had a lot of very large bubbles in it, after the first rise, so I pressed them out, rose it briefly again, then pressed it flat, before forming the loaves. Here is a photo of a slice.
ImageSlice of the sourdough rye. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Looks nice. :)
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:59 pm

Hard to believe that I baked again, in this heat! It's in my countertop oven, so it's not too bad.

More sourdough rye - using all sourdough starter for the rise. Wasn't sure how well it would rise, but it did better than I thought it would!

I just "refreshed" the firm starter I found in the fridge, behind a lot of stuff, and used some of the extra starter, before putting it away again. I put it in the FP, with rye flour and water, not quite firm, and left it overnight, and it more than doubled. I added the rest of the ingredients, besides the flour, then switched to the KA, and added the flour. It's almost 50% rye, 25% WW, and the rest bread flour, and 1/4 c gluten. Probably the gluten made it rise well.
ImageSour rye, rising fairly quickly by now. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSour rye, risen 65 minutes, ready to bake. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished sour rye, risen better than expected. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished sour rye by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:08 pm

More of that fantastic smell tonight - HOMEMADE BREAD! And my favorite again - sourdough rye.

I had a little too much dough for two 2 lb loaves, and not quite enough for three 1 1/2 lb loaves, so I dug out a 1 lb coffee can, I often bake bread in. Great for a slice of D&W Braunschweiger, with a slice of onion!
ImageSour rye bread, two 1 1/2 lb and one 1 lb loaf. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image1 lb loaf of sour rye, baked in an old coffee can. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

TXTravis
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Bower wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:00 pm Agghh filled with guilt!! A friend who makes amazing sourdough gave me a bit of his starter. My ambition got sidetracked.... It's been sitting in the fridge for weeks. Am I going to be able to revive it? What to do? :oops:

I literally only feed my starter the day before I bake. Sometimes. It'll often go 3 weeks without feeding, but perks right back up when I do. I keep it in the fridge unless I'm going to bake later in the day or the next day. Then, I'll feed and leave it out to rise before use, and sometimes (and sometimes not) feed again before putting it back in the fridge after use. Sometimes I don't feed it at all. It'll be fine.
A seed not planted is guaranteed not to grow.

svalli
Reactions:

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:31 am

I do not bake very often, but I do have a sour rye started in the refrigerator. I have to admit that I forgot it there for a year and thought it to be ruined, but couple of weeks ago I found it again and scraped off the top and used the bottom to start a sour rye cracker dough. To my surprise it took just 24 h to the starter dough to be bubbly and sour. Sour rye bread is a staple here and I can buy really good loaves in the stores, so I have used my starter just for crackers. When living in US, I used to bake sour rye bread quite often, because we like the rye breads which are mostly rye and are denser and heavier.

Couple of years ago I started to look what else can I do with the pasta machine than just pasta. I found that some people are using it to make crackers. I decided to try to make some with a sour rye dough. First I tried to make those without addition of wheat flour, but plain rye is difficult to get through the pasta machine without breaking. Before I start thinning the dough with the machine I do several rounds folding and rolling it with the thickest setting which make the crackers to have small pockets of air when baked. I usually thin them to setting 4 on my Marcato Atlas, because any thinner brakes easily when handled. Before baking I brush the crackers slightly with olive oil and sprinkle a bit of salt from the mill with coarse setting.

Now I made them smaller like chips and I am planning to make dip from smoked moose and red onions in sour cream. I should also test of adding crushed garlic to the oil, which I use for basting, but these taste already addictively good without any additional seasoning than salt.
rye crackers before baking.jpg
rye crackers.jpg

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:45 am

I have some starter I made myself and haven't fed in well over a year or more.
Just pour off the liquor on top and add flour and a little water maybe.
The last time I did it the darn thing got too active. :lol:
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:35 pm

Three days ago, I dug out (while getting something else that was buried in my fridge) my firm sourdough starter - not used for about 7 or 8 months, and it's amazing how good that stuff keeps! I refreshed a small amount of it overnight, then yesterday I refreshed a little more, and in 6 hours that was ready to use - liquid starters would take much longer to reactivate. I took the usual 10 g, to refresh before putting back in the fridge, and used the approx. 70 g of starter to make the sour rye starter, with 170 g filtered water and 190 g (about 1 1/2 c). I set that to rise the rest of yesterday, and part of today - about 36 hours.

Late last night, using a recipe from Peter Reinhart's WHOLE GRAIN BREADS - the Whole Wheat Mash Bread as a reference. I made what he terms a "mash", using 300 g water, 120 g WW flour, and 1 g (1/2 tsp) diastatic malt powder. 165° water is whisked with the flour in a small, lidded saucepan, along with the malt powder - temp drops to about 150°, then it is covered, and put a 150° oven for 3 hours, to let the enzymes go to work. It is cooled covered, overnight.

In late morning on bake day, the sour starter was getting a generous aroma, and this was put in the KA bowl, with the mash, 4 tsp salt, 1 tb caraway seed, 1 tsp nigella seed, 1 tb (20 g) honey, 21 g neutral oil, 3 tb essential wheat gluten (optional, but helps with the rye) and 255 g, or about 2 c WW flour, with about a cup more to add. I use the flat beater to totally mix all this, then switch to the dough hook, then process it on medium, about 6-7 min, adding just enough WW flour to make it clear the sides, but still slightly stuck to the very bottom. The model recipe was all WW, and had some instant yeast added with the final ingredients, but I used the rye starter, and left the yeast out.

This turned out a 51.6 oz (1463 g) ball of dough, which I sprayed with oil, and set to rise - took about 2 1/2 hrs to double, which is fast, for just the sourdough starter! I split it into 2 loaves, shaped them, and placed in sprayed, NS loaf pans, then covered, for final rise - started with 45 minutes, then after another 30 minutes, it was ready to bake - again, fast for sourdough!

The smell was incredible after about 20 minutes! It cooled about 1½ hrs, and I couldn't wait any longer! Only slightly warm still, and the flavor is great - sour, but not too sour, and good texture. Will be making a sandwich on it, with some Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna, which I have unopened in the fridge.

I'll definitely make this again, after tweaking the recipe.
ImageReally old firm starter, refreshed twice, starter already rising. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRye starter, after about 36 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Imagefinished sour rye dough, just started rising. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFully risen sour rye dough, after about 150 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTwo sour rye loaves rising, 25.8 oz each. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen sour rye dough, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished sourdough rye/WW bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSliced sourdough rye bread by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:00 pm

Yeast is an amazing organism! I used to make sourdough often and have several different cultures in my fridge. I think my starter used to be 100% hydration. I am sure I tried a lower hydration starter at some point. I think you could be right about the shifting ecosystem within the starter. It makes sense that selection of specific species would occur over time. I used to try everything in order to learn. I think the best methods are to use a poolish or biga. I also highly recommend laminating your dough.

I haven't made bread in quite some time though. I love eating bread, but try not to. I recently purchased an oven steel to replace my stone and have yet to use it. I really need to get moving on making some bread! It has been far too long.

Why don't you have cotton liners for your bannetons? I can't imagine not using liners.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:37 pm

I rarely use the sourdough - I just did this on a whim, when I saw the starter in there! I usually use a preferment of some sort, using the instant yeast. I do layer most of the breads by doing the "folding" of the dough, 2 or 3 times in the first rise - 10, 20, and 30 minutes into the rise, and it's amazing how more much this develops the gluten! And I rarely use the bannetons or baking stone - usually, only for a dinner bread, for more than me. Most bread I make is loaf bread, for sandwiches, but works with soups, too, and is mostly whole grain bread.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Bakery”