Gumbo

What's cooking?
SQWIB
Reactions:

Gumbo

Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 am

Gumbo

Adapted from Shotgun Red Recipe, R.I.P.
spread out 1 cup of all purpose flour in saucepan about 1" thick, bake at 425° for 40 minutes, flower will take on a cinnamon appearance

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe! (Perfect Roux Every Time!)
Take 1 cup of all purpose flour and put it in a oven safe pan and smooth it out to about 3/4 inch thick. Bake it in the oven at 425°F for 45 to 55 minutes long.

While roux is in the oven, brown 4 or 5 sausage links set aside once browned on all sides, cut 6 skinless, boneless, chicken thighs in half and sear brown in the same pan as the sausage season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, do not cook all the way through, just get a good sear on them, set aside. Half the sausage then cut in slices, set aside.

Once you get the color you like remove the flour (Roux) from the oven and take the dry Roux and put it in a medium bowl to cool. (Do not leave it in the hot pan)

In a dutch oven heat up 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil and on medium heat soften; (cook about 5 minutes) celery first, peppers second, and then onions, followed at the end with the garlic and any herbs,
  • 2 stalks of celery diced
  • 1 green bell pepper diced
  • 1 whole sweet onion diced

Then add
  • 1 tbsp. garlic (3 cloves)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp. parsley
  • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp. thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Mix on medium heat for 1 minute then add 2 cups of chicken broth, add chicken Bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, remove chicken again to shred.

Roux;
Take the dark browned flour and whisk in 2 cups of room temperature chicken broth, mix very well then slowly add the roux to the gumbo

After 20 minutes, remove bay leaves and add;
  • Shredded Chicken
  • Sliced Sausage
  • 6 scallions sliced
  • 1 cup of okra
  • 1 can of rotel or 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Cook 30 minutes, serve on rice

I used a few of my Red Welsh Bunching Onions and an Egyptian Walking Onion, the Okra was frozen from last season.
I also omitted the vinegar and cayenne pepper and replaced with a can of Rotel.
Could not find Andouille so I used hot Sausage. Chicken Thigh prices were off the charts so I used chicken breasts.
I also doubled up the recipe.
I cooked the gumbo an additional 30 minutes for a total of 1 hour.
Brown sausage then season chicken and brown the chicken in the same pan is a must!

Afterthoughts - If I made this again I would season the Roux a bit when mixing with the chicken broth.

edited 5/29 adjusted times and sausage instructions,
Last edited by SQWIB on Fri May 29, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Gumbo

Fri May 29, 2020 7:22 am

Looks amazingly good! Thanks for the recipe and photos.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

worth1
Reactions:

Fri May 29, 2020 7:42 am

Looks good.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

rhines81
Reactions:

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:34 pm

SQWIB wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 am Gumbo

Adapted from Shotgun Red Recipe, R.I.P.
spread out 1 cup of all purpose flour in saucepan about 1" thick, bake at 425° for 40 minutes, flower will take on a cinnamon appearance

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe! (Perfect Roux Every Time!)
Take 1 cup of all purpose flour and put it in a oven safe pan and smooth it out to about 3/4 inch thick. Bake it in the oven at 425°F for 45 to 55 minutes long.

While roux is in the oven, brown 4 or 5 sausage links set aside once browned on all sides, cut 6 skinless, boneless, chicken thighs in half and sear brown in the same pan as the sausage season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder, do not cook all the way through, just get a good sear on them, set aside. Half the sausage then cut in slices, set aside.

Once you get the color you like remove the flour (Roux) from the oven and take the dry Roux and put it in a medium bowl to cool. (Do not leave it in the hot pan)

In a dutch oven heat up 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil and on medium heat soften; (cook about 5 minutes) celery first, peppers second, and then onions, followed at the end with the garlic and any herbs,
  • 2 stalks of celery diced
  • 1 green bell pepper diced
  • 1 whole sweet onion diced

Then add
  • 1 tbsp. garlic (3 cloves)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tbsp. parsley
  • 1 tsp. sweet paprika
  • 1 tbsp. thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
Mix on medium heat for 1 minute then add 2 cups of chicken broth, add chicken Bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, remove chicken again to shred.

Roux;
Take the dark browned flour and whisk in 2 cups of room temperature chicken broth, mix very well then slowly add the roux to the gumbo

After 20 minutes, remove bay leaves and add;
  • Shredded Chicken
  • Sliced Sausage
  • 6 scallions sliced
  • 1 cup of okra
  • 1 can of rotel or 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Cook 30 minutes, serve on rice
I just want to ask if this going to be the OFFICIAL Gumbo thread? I don't want to hijack it and post a seafood gumbo recipe if it is not.
I agree 100% with the oven roasted flour for the roux... it makes gumbo much more healthy! About the only thing I would do differently with your recipe is to deslime my okra before throwing it in to the mix.

SQWIB
Reactions:

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Rhines, sorry I missed your post.
Feel free to post here.
The more the merrier.

Return to “Recipes”